1911 Question

PDA

jacob2745
February 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
I have a springfield r.o. with approx. 600 rnds through, and have had an occassional problem with it. I believe it has happened 3 times but when shooting it will fail to completely chamber a round and giving the slide a little bump forward doesnt help. So then i will rack it back and the extractor will not grab the round and i just have to turn the gun up and give it a little shake to get it out. I was hoping someone may be able to shed a little light on my dilemma.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 26, 2012, 01:01 AM
Bad magazine.
Or improper extractor tension.

In any case, the round in the chamber popped out of the magazine and got in front of the extractor hook before it finished chambering.

It should slide up out of the magazine,up the breech face, and end up under the extractor hook in the chamber.

Not in front of it with the slide held back from battery by the extractor hook.

rc

1911 guy
February 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
My first guess would be a faulty magazine releasing the round before the extractor gets around the rim.

If it happens with all mags, I'd check extractor tension next, make sure it's not too tight against the breech face and preventing the rim from slipping under the hook.

Third, I'd get Tuner or someone else to give you a better answer! I use a 1911 a lot, but a few of the guys here have forgotten more about how a 1911 actually works than I've ever known.

Skylerbone
February 26, 2012, 04:06 AM
Have a quick look at the barrel ramp. Where it meets the chamber there is often a sharp transition that will need to be relieved slightly.

Any of the answers given so far come without knowing if the cartridge is free of the extractor or not when you attempt to clear the malfunction.

The Lone Haranguer
February 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
If the slide is overriding the top of the case, and in particular, if it happens toward the end of the string of fire as the magazine runs low, I would suspect a magazine spring.

rcmodel
February 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
I think the OP said the round is in the chamber, the slide won't go quite shut, and it won't pull the round back out when you cycle the slide.

It has to be the round getting out of the magazine ahead of the extractor hook.

rc

Skylerbone
February 26, 2012, 06:21 PM
Not sure if he meant the extractor was hooked but then pulls free from lack of tension or if he's got push feed from inertia going on (or if he checked).

jacob2745
February 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
From what ive seen the extractor is not hooking the round but just hitting the back of it keeing the slide from moving all the way forward. It also seems odd to me that it has only happened 3 times in 600ish rounds. Its not really a big issue because it will only ever be a range gun and that was what i bought it for, but i would still like to solve the problem.

Skylerbone
February 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Yep, post #2.

Even a "range gun" should be capable of trouble free service if needed and you never know when that may be.

ms6852
February 28, 2012, 01:25 AM
Ninety percent of the problems with 1911 will always occur with the magazine. We forget to think of the magazine as a perishable accessory. Their usable time is limited and new one must be purchase. Another problem that could occur as mentioned above is the extractor. Sometimes it needs to soak in solvent for about 30 minutes to ensure that any carbon in the spring housing is dissolved so that full range of motion is acquired by the extractor and does not have to operate under tension from carbon build up. Last as mentioned above the the spacing between the magazine and the feed ramp to ensure proper spacing. Sometimes just polishing the ramp with a dremel tool is all it takes. The last part I do not recommend as a diy task if your experience with guns and knowledge is limited. Another item that most people forget to do is to oil the slide after cleanup this helps in a real smooth and repeatable motion making all malfunctions virtually none existent.

1911Tuner
February 28, 2012, 06:27 AM
Push feed. The round is jumping the magazine and being fed into the chamber ahead of the extractor. Magazine problem...specifically the spring. Overspringing the slide can be a player, but is rarely the sole cause.

jacob2745
February 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
I appreciate all the help. Im going to try a new mag and maybe mark the ones i have now to see if it happens with just a certain one.

rcmodel
February 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
There ya go!

I'd almost bet it pins down to one bad mag.

You just gotta figure out which one it is.

But thats what I tried to say three days ago.

rc

Greg528iT
February 28, 2012, 10:34 PM
Even if you sort out the bad mag, I suggest you mark them anyway. For as you continue to shoot and something else pops up, they'll be marked already.

The Lone Haranguer
February 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
It could be happening with just one of the magazines. Devise some method of marking them (e.g., some Wite-out on the floor plate), shoot the gun and see if the stoppages are occuring on the same magazine. If it is, you can try re-springing the mag, but I would be more inclined to just ****-can it.

theQman23
March 1, 2012, 12:06 AM
1911tuner pointed out that overspringing the slide is rarely a factor, but since you only had 3 of these occasions out of 600 rounds its worth looking at. What recoil spring is in the gun? Is it the stock one that springfield put in it originally?
Also, look at the extractor. I know on my springfield it didn't have much of a rounded edge at the bottom, it was sort of sharp top and bottom. You can leave the corner sharp on top, but the bottom one should be rounded just for this very reason. Also, make sure the extractor has only enough tension to push the metal tab in where it is supposed to ride in the recession on the case, but that it is NOT pushing left with any amount of weight. If it is PUSHING left, and not just grabbing the case, then adjust the spring tension appropriately.
Also, probably not it, but it's quick and free to look so check this out, the firing pin holes are not very well finished on the springers, and least it wasn't on mine. Do a complete detail strip of the slide, and with the firing pin out, run you finger, or a feeler gauge, up from the bottom to the top of the slide going over that firing pin hole. If the whole edge is sharp, sometimes they are, it'll momentarily and very, very minorly grab onto the brass as it slides up. This can sometimes cause a 3 point jam.
If you round the extractor, check it's tension, smooth out the firing pin snag on the upper side of the whole, and go with quality magazines, your problem should go away.

theQman23
March 1, 2012, 12:07 AM
oops, meant hole, not whole

1911Tuner
March 1, 2012, 05:02 AM
1911tuner pointed out that overspringing the slide is rarely a factor,

I said that it was rarely the only factor...but that it could be part of it.

Zach S
March 1, 2012, 06:24 PM
Even if you sort out the bad mag, I suggest you mark them anyway. Agreed. All of my mags are numbered for this reason.

PapaG
March 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
Polish the feed ramp. Polish the face of the slide (you'll have to pull the firing pin and extractor but you need the extractor out for the next step), then break the corner on the bottom edge of the extractor (behind the hook). The round has to slide up the face of the slide, slip past the bottom of the extractor and slide up the feed ramp to work right. Also...be darn sure you have a quality magazine. Most of what I outlined should have been done to the RO but we've found that there are better mags than what come with Springfields.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!