New AK Variant that takes Hi-Caps?

PDA

hillbilly
February 11, 2004, 05:24 PM
Anyone know anything about these? According to the ad, it's a new Saiga style AK sporter that does take normal capacity magazines.

If this is for real, I think I want at least one, maybe two. But I have seen folks trying to sell Saigas before by saying that normal capacity mags fit. They do fit, they just don't feed well due to the lack of a feed ramp.

hillbilly

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976364802.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "New AK Variant that takes Hi-Caps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wasrjoe
February 11, 2004, 05:28 PM
I believe it's just a converted Saiga. I am pretty sure they just put the appropriate (or at least said they did ;)) number of US parts in the rifle and then converted it to high-cap stateside. They did this to WASR-10s as well.

Nightcrawler
February 11, 2004, 05:28 PM
Unless that rifle has 5 or 7 US parts (I can never remember which; in any case it's unlikely, considering the lack of a pistol grip stock, as the stock, grip, and handguards are an easy way to get three parts right there), converting it to take regular AK magazines, though simple to do, is illegal.

Many companies, including AK USA and Krebs Custom (also :barf: Hesse/Vulcan arms) convert Saigas into regular-configuration AKs. But due to US laws, the true Izhmash semiauto Saiga, with a folding pistol-grip stock, that takes regular AK magazines, is illegal to import.

Preacherman
February 11, 2004, 06:36 PM
Note the wording - "will accept" standard mags. Does that mean "will accept after conversion" or "will accept after modification"? The ad isn't specific, but I'd be willing to bet that's what it means...

If you enjoyed reading about "New AK Variant that takes Hi-Caps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!