Faulty gun or ammo?

PDA

Nicksdad1970
February 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
I have a H&K P30 that I took to the range today. I shot about 100 rounds through it and it worked very well besides 1 round. The **** fired but the slide got stuck and the shell that had just fired was stuck. I pulled the shell and it was split down the side. I have a pic or two but forgot how to post it.

Can someone tell me if this is common and what's the general answer to the problem? Oh, It was a non reload Winchester round.

If you enjoyed reading about "Faulty gun or ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RH45
February 26, 2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a weak piece of brass.

Was it new ammo, or, reloaded?

allaroundhunter
February 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
It was the ammo, or the HK is just built too strong and crushed it ;)

No, it is not common. And I would still trust Winchester enough to shoot more of their rounds through my gun.

NOLAEMT
February 26, 2012, 11:42 PM
If the brass split, that would be an ammo problem, unless ALL the brass was split, which could be an oversize chamber. But if it was only that one piece, I would think that it is just an anomaly with that particular winchester shell case.

gunnysmith
February 27, 2012, 12:25 AM
Use a bright light while rotating the barrel, look in the chamber, any anomolies if there are any while show up.
Probably nothing, but I'd check just the same.

Nicksdad1970
February 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info.

It was new Winchester nonreload ammo. it was about 80% split down one side and about 50% down on the other side (not quite complete opposite side).

If you enjoyed reading about "Faulty gun or ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!