Bought a new Kel Tec PF-9

PDA

josephbw
February 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
Saturday at a gun show. I did the Fluff & Buff, cleaned it, lubed it, then took it out back and had my way with it. I am really impressed. It has the smoothest trigger of any gun I have. It hits where I aim it, and the recoil isn't all that bad.

After 1-200 rounds, I'm going to put it in rotation with my other CCW's. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a new Kel Tec PF-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fuzzball
February 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
I had one, traded it in. Recoil too much for my wife, even I had trouble holding POI consistently. My 70 yr old hands are too arthritic to take much recoil. But, the PF-9 looked good, ran good and was easily concealed and easy to access when needed.

Fuzzball

777TRUTH
February 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Great CCW piece. Mine has been flawless through 1500 or so rounds (Guesstimate, I don't count rounds anymore).

I can't take shooting more than 50 rounds through her. It's ok for a mag or 3 during each range visit, more than that is painful.

Bentley4700
February 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
Smoothest trigger of any gun you have? Doesn't say much for the rest of the herd! :) I'm glad you got a good one. I had 2. One I carried and trusted with my life. The other worked better as a rock. (2 trips back to KT)

josephbw
February 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have an XD 40SC that has a very smooth trigger. I also have a 1908 Colt Hammerless that is a joy to shoot. This morning I took the PF9 apart and did the "Fluff & Buff" technique to it. That involves honing all the mating surfaces, smoothing little bits here and there, and lubing with the correct lubricants in the correct places.

The result is a very smooth trigger that allows you to concentrate on your POA without fighting the trigger. These only have a 5 lb trigger from the factory. It's better now.:D

I've read about some problems with the PF9, that's why I took it apart and cleaned it up right from the start. After I put much more ammo through it, I think it will be my #1 CCW. :)

COgunner
February 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
I love mine too. I'm consistently amazed at how well it shoots. After break-in, it has been 100%.

thefamcnaj
February 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
I really have enjoyed both my pf9's not a particular pleasure to shoot but fun in its own way. Mine have ran flawlessly but I don't carry either of them. Not because I don't trust them, I just can canceal something bigger ie g19 real comfortable in a galco king tuc. I opted for the higher capasity guns.
It does come in handy how ever when you have to leave in a hurry and don't want to holster up, you can just throw it in your pocket and be on your way.

kokapelli
February 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
I had one and it worked ok, but it's pretty crude compared to the Kahr PM9/CM9 pistols.

I never wanted to shoot it after I got a PM9, so sold it.

BamAlmighty
February 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
I got to wonder what other guns you have that the PF9 is actually the smoothest of them all. I tried a bunch of compact pistols when I was looking for a compact 9, a PF9 was one of them. While it wasn't as bad as a LC9, I wouldt hardly consider the PF9's trigger smoothest of anything.

I ended up with a Kahr CM9... and to echo kokapelli, the CM/PM9 definitely holds the crown for smooth DA style trigger.

MedWheeler
February 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
Enjoy it. I carry one as an EDC. Visit the Kel-Tec Owners Group at www.ktog.org for more KT chatter...

piranha45
February 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
I have small hands and wrists and have to hold my pf-9 in a death-grip to keep it from FTEs. Chews up my thumb knuckle within two magazines' worth of firing, too.

josephbw
February 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
I got to wonder what other guns you have that the PF9 is actually the smoothest of them all. I tried a bunch of compact pistols when I was looking for a compact 9, a PF9 was one of them. While it wasn't as bad as a LC9, I wouldt hardly consider the PF9's trigger smoothest of anything.

If you will look 4 posts above yours, you will see the answer to your question. The trigger is pretty nice from the factory, but the work I did on it made it much better.:D

MICHAEL T
February 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
My PF-9 has become my most carry pistol. My 1911's and Bersa's are unhappy. Its accurate and trigger works fine . I did a 100 rounds at one siting But now no more than 50.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a new Kel Tec PF-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!