Glock 9mm to .40 S&W

PDA

Samari Jack
February 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
Saw an add on TV where Lone Wolf or similar supplier had a kit to convert a Glock 9mm to a .40. Just caught the tail end of the story. Did an internet search but couldn't find anything. Seems like a good idea.

Anyone tried this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 9mm to .40 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ssyoumans
February 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
Must have a Glock in either 40 S&W or 357 Sig. With either of those, you can convert to any of the others. So, with a 40 S&W glock, you can convert to 357 Sig just by buying a replacement barrel. You can convert to 9mm barrel with a new barrel and new mag.
Ditto for 357 Sig.

Can't do either when you start with a Glock 9mm. :(
The 9mm glocks are not setup for the 40 cal size case head which the 357 Sig also uses.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

Bovice
February 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
You can never convert upward in caliber, only down. The only way you'd be able to go up is if they over-engineered the slide for the original caliber. Since this is a waste of material for a gun that will probably only shoot the original caliber, they don't do that.

Telekinesis
February 28, 2012, 02:24 AM
To be able to shoot .40 out of a 9mm Glock, you'll at least have to purchase a new slide, barrel and recoil spring (and I've heard that the ejector is also different but can't confirm). Honestly, it would probably be easier to just buy a new gun that's already chambered in .40.

If you start with a .40, you can change to .357 Sig with just a barrel swap, and to 9mm with a new barrel and mag (and possibly a recoil spring).

Samari Jack
February 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
What about a Glock 21 (.45 ACP) to a .40 S&W or some smaller caliber? I'm looking for a .45 and convertibility might just swing the deal to Glock. I'm real satisfied with the Glock I currently own.

Telekinesis
February 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
Nope, a Glock 21 is a larger frame than the 9mm/.40 so the components won't fit. It is the same frame as the G20 (10mm) though, so you could probably swap out and use 10mm. You'd still need a new slide, barrel, recoil spring, and mags.

EDIT: Look to GLOOB's post. I made an assumption about the transition from G20/21 to a .40 and seem to have come up short.

jim goose
February 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
I did some research on this, and you probably will want replacement mags too. And then never use it as your primary caliber, range only, as will naturally have less reliability. OS basically, whats the point unless youe just looking for cheap 9mm range time.

Coltdriver
February 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Lone Wolf does make a barrel to convert a .40 to a 9mm.

You need 9mm mags.

GLOOB
February 29, 2012, 12:47 AM
Nope, a Glock 21 is a larger frame than the 9mm/.40 so the components won't fit. It is the same frame as the G20 (10mm) though, so you could probably swap out and use 10mm. You'd still need a new slide, barrel, recoil spring, and mags.

You can put a 40 conversion barrel in a Glock 20. You can put a 10mm conversion barrel in a Glock 21. Seems to me you could put a 40 conversion barrel in a Glock 21... if you can find someone to make one for you. You can't do a 45 to 9mm conversion, because the mags don't work. But you can feed 40 from a 10mm mag in a Glock, or in most other guns.

BTW, you don't need a new slide for the 45/10mm conversion. The 21 slide is lighter, but a stronger recoil spring makes it work. If it didn't, LWD wouldn't make 45-to-10mm conversion barrels. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to buy a 10mm slide then mill the opening to accept a 45 caliber conversion barrel to shoot 10mm. :)

You can never convert upward in caliber, only down. The only way you'd be able to go up is if they over-engineered the slide for the original caliber. Since this is a waste of material for a gun that will probably only shoot the original caliber, they don't do that.
This didn't stop Glock from converting the 9mm's to 40SW. Lots of other manufacturers added slide mass and/or changed springs. Glock just remilled the breechface and put in a new barrel and ejector! More importantly, as has been stated, the definitive limiting factor is the size of the breechface. You can't fit a 40 caliber rim into a 9mm breechface. But you can and do put a 9mm rim into a 40 caliber breechface when you convert the other way. There's a little slop with the conversion, but the extractor seems to work just fine.

Telekinesis
February 29, 2012, 02:13 AM
GLOOB: You're right. Now that I think about it, that makes sense. I'm primarily a 9mm guy so I just assumed the same rules regarding G20/21 to 9mm applied to changing the G20/21 to .40.

biogenic
February 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
Must have a Glock in either 40 S&W or 357 Sig. With either of those, you can convert to any of the others. So, with a 40 S&W glock, you can convert to 357 Sig just by buying a replacement barrel. You can convert to 9mm barrel with a new barrel and new mag.
Ditto for 357 Sig.

Can't do either when you start with a Glock 9mm.
The 9mm glocks are not setup for the 40 cal size case head which the 357 Sig also uses.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

AJChenMPH
March 1, 2012, 12:51 PM
In addition to the above, just looked on Lone Wolf's site:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

No such beast (9mm to .40)...

SOUTHPAW
March 1, 2012, 01:03 PM
I just purchased the LWD 40-9 conversion barrel for my Glock 23 and it's awesome! Just have to use the 9mm mags from a G19 or bigger (15+) Next up is a LWD .357sig barrel drop-in, can use the same .40 mags...

3-GUNS-IN-1 :cool:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/turb0_t0m/cfec6334-1.jpg

NG VI
March 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
Glock has always used the same weight recoil springs for 9, .40, .357, and .45 GAP. I don't know, but I think they continue to use the same recoil assembly in the 4th gen, but I know for a fact that the first three generations, all the small frames had the same recoil assembly for each given frame size.

The easiest way to convert a 9mm to a .40 is to buy a new slide. Some companies are making aftermarket slides, so you could probably find one of those easier than an OEM.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 9mm to .40 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!