Sears and Roebuck Ranger 16 gauge?

PDA

atomd
February 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
Just picked one up for next to nothing...figured I'll tinker with it. The only thing I see on it is "Sears and Roebuck and Co Ranger 16 gauge 105-20". I don't see any other model numbers other than that. I see there was a recall on mostly 12 gauge models but a few 16s as well. None of the numbers I see online seem to match this or anything like it. This is a bolt action model. Also, how do I know what choke it is? I don't see any markings indicating that either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sears and Roebuck Ranger 16 gauge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
February 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
The cross reference shows it to be a H&R 120

atomd
February 28, 2012, 08:16 AM
From what I understand, the patent was bought from H&R and made by a couple companies, JC Higgins, Sears themselves, and High Standard...and they had Sears exclusive models made by JC and HS too. Since mine doesn't have any other model number besides the 105-20, I assume it was made by Sears before JC Higgins made them for them (pre-1945 or so?). No idea. Since it doesn't have a 583 # on it or a date..I assume it isn't part of the recall.

atomd
February 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
I guess JC Higgins is a trade name for Sears guns but may have been made somewhere else? I dunno. Also, I hope it's 2 3/4"....I know some old 16ga guns were smaller. Although I'm not sure they even made those sears guns in smaller than 2 3/4". Hmmmmm

oneounceload
February 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
Sears never made anything, they are a marketing retailer that has stuff branded with their name by a manufacturer. There were a lot of gun makers who made guns for Sears.

Here's a site with the conversion by model number:

http://proofhouse.com/cm/house_brand.htm

Ron James
February 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
:D J.C. Higgins was an employee of Sears and Roebuck. When the powers to be were looking for a new name for their sporting goods line they decided that old J. C's name had a nice sporty ring to it. Sears did have controlling interest in a couple of firearm companies including High Standard ( which resulted in High Standard going out of business ) but as oneounceload posted, Sears and Roebuck never manufactured anything but toilet paper, they simply sold what others made. The chambers in your shotgun should be 23/4 and no, it is not on the recall list. By the way, It became Sears when Roebuck died, prior to his death it was Sears and Roebucks, spoken like one word, never just Sears.

atomd
February 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Any idea around what year they made them? Or what choke it is?

atomd
March 2, 2012, 03:17 PM
no idea on year/choke?

jrmiddleton425
March 2, 2012, 07:38 PM
AtomD:

Made 1930 to early '40's.

oneounceload
March 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
If it doesn't say somewhere on the barrel, a smith can tell you in about 5 seconds with a bore gauge

atomd
March 2, 2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I knew it was pre-WW2 so that would make sense. Yeah, no bore gauges here but I might have to have someone check it sometime. We'll see how it patterns. Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sears and Roebuck Ranger 16 gauge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!