Opinion: Which host for SBS/Auto-Burglar- New or old gun?

PDA

evan price
February 28, 2012, 02:27 AM
Deciding to buy a stamp and make my own SBS with the intent of getting an Ithaca Auto-Burglar type double barrel pistol. Sort of like a Lupara I guess. Why? Why not.

Been trying to decide the advantages vs disadvantages of starting with a new Stoeger double (or something like that) versus picking up an old but still serviceable Ithaca double, or a Stevens 311A, or a hardware store gun. As long as it is steel barreled and in good shape action-wise.

Exposed hammers would be nice but not necessary.

Not interested in one of those Chinese Jinmais Century has now. Prefer something NOT Chinese.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion: Which host for SBS/Auto-Burglar- New or old gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forindooruseonly
February 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
I bought an Ithaca Flues model for doing the exact same thing. It took me a while to find one suitable, I looked for one with dented or damaged barrels beyond where I am going to cut mine off at, or one already hacked by a SASS shooter - that way I wouldn't feel bad about chopping a perfectly serviceable old American double. I eventually found a nice tight one with a dent in the left barrel for a couple of hundred bucks and I was on my way. This, of course, isn't a requirement, I saw plenty of good condition old Ithacas for the same money or less than any of the new stuff.

The Ithacas I looked at were all hammerless, which is what I wanted.

One of the nice thing about the Ithacas is that they don't have a through-bolt on the stock that runs from the pad to the receiver, so you don't have to deal with that issue when cutting down the stock. You can follow the contour of the grip and get a clean looking grip when it's all said and done. I don't like the look of sawed-offs that have the kinda bulbous stock butt on the end, and a lot of that is to accommodate the through bolt, or they have an unsightly hole in the grip. So I wanted to stay away from that because I plan on trying to reform and refinish the stock nicely after the cut.

I wouldn't buy a shotgun to make into a Lupara that had a through-bolt. Another consideration you might look at is the lines of the stock and whether you can work the lines into something you'll like. That ruled out the Stevens 311 for me, I just didn't like the looks and wanted one that had more defined lines.

I also chose an Ithaca because it has the splinter fore end, which is a little shorter and I think looks a lot better. And it's an Ithaca! Not an Auto & Burglar of course, but still. That kinda made a difference to me.

I don't plan to run hot loads or buck through mine, I just wanted a range toy until I could afford to buy a real Auto & Burglar. I sent my Form to the ATF in the middle of August, so I should be hearing back from them soon. I'll post pics of the process if people are interested, once I start cutting things up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion: Which host for SBS/Auto-Burglar- New or old gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!