EDC knives?

PDA

Lee D
February 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
i cant seem to find a thread on this so i figured id ask, what is your everday carry knife? the one you dont/wont leave the house with.
heres mine, the Buck/TOPS CSAR-T along with my EDC light....

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3646/005mog.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/005mog.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

If you enjoyed reading about "EDC knives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vonderek
February 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/dreamcatchermedia/IMG_1861.jpg
I've gone low-tech. It's either of these plus a made in Italy "Coal Miner" slipjoint...no pic but it cost me all of $8 and takes a shaving sharp edge. I don't think any will hold up to batoning but for opening boxes, cutting rope, and assisting in BBQ cooking (which is about the extent of my knife-duties) they all serve me well.

Lee D
February 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
what is the knife on the top?

hso
February 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
The top knife is a Svord Peasant knife from New Zealand.

CmdrSlander
February 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
I don't carry a knife but when I go shooting I always carry a Sheffield Multitool which includes several knives (blades?) and a variety of screwdrivers/hex screws for gun maintenance. It has helped me save more than a few range trips.

Edit: There is an old buck knife that belonged to my grandfather, which now belongs to my father, and will one day belong to me. Currently my father carries that.

Coyote3855
February 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
Having carried at least one knife daily for over 60 years, it's hard to understand someone who doesn't. Different strokes, I guess. I carry a Spyderco Endura clipped IWB, an old Leatherman in a belt pouch (although I almost never use the knife blade), and a SAK Classic on my key chain, mostly for the tweezers, sissors, and toothpick.

CmdrSlander
February 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
Where I work, no weapons are allowed. I CCW a SA Mil-Spec .45 but it stays in the car during the working day. I will carry the old buck knife as much as I can when I get it, in honor of those who came before.

aaronu
February 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
When traveling -- nothing sharp.

The rest of the time, a Benchmade Ares 730 is with me pretty much 24x7. It's a nice Axis lock knife by Elishewitz, circa 2001.

Dave McCracken
February 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
Usually two.

First, a Spyderco Manix JShirley gave me.

Second,either a Kershaw Scallion or a little all metal skeleton frame Gerber.

All three are shaving sharp and good tools.

glistam
February 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
Benchmite II. Yeah it's small, but all I need for most tasks, and it's short enough to get around federal land restrictions, so it is one of very few that goes to work with me.

Out of work, I take a second, big brother knife. It varies as my mood does, but usually is a Buck 397, CKRT Hissatsu and/or Benchmade Mini-Griptillian.

average_shooter
February 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
When not at work: my Schrade Junior Stockman I've had for gotta be around 20 years now (first pocketknife, given to me by my Grandfather, back when they were still USA-made with good steel) in the watch pocket and a Case Yellow-handle Pen Knife in CV steel in another pocket.

At work: a Case Small Stockman Amber Bone in SS (when I actually need "sharp") and a CRKT Drifter for general cutting tasks. Also, much of my work requires me to wear my pack, so I have my Leatherman Wave on the chest strap. I tend to use the Drifter for rough cutting / cardboard / and as a spoon for my lunch, while the Stockman is more for cutting cord and digging out splinters.

Guaranteed, if I'm dressed I've got at least one (most likely two) knives on me.

Side note, just because I usually carry two knives, I no longer loan them when someone asks for one. Especially in my line of work, if you don't have your own knife, I don't trust you with mine that I spend time caring for and sharpening.

beatledog7
February 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
Kershaw Leek, 1/2 serrated blade. It's always where I am.

JShirley
February 29, 2012, 01:14 AM
I always have at least one Spyderco on me. The Manix 2s are a favorite, and the Translucent Manix 2 is my absolute favorite folding knife ever.

Since I gave mine away, I'm carrying a Spyderco Dragonfly H1 and a Chapparal or Embassy.

John

TimboKhan
February 29, 2012, 02:02 AM
Away from work, a Spyderco Endura or Persistance, but more and more often, a Kershaw Blur. Basically, while I occasionally buy other knives for my collection, my rotation has worked itself down to that one Kershaw and those two Spydercos. A Manix 2 is also in my very near future.

I have altered my wardrobe at work to the extent that carrying a clippy knife no longer works for me, so I have went entirely to carrying one of my mini trappers on Friday as a little treat, my spyderco Kiwi the rest of the time. I absolutely, 100% love that little Kiwi. Enough so that I have two in boxes stored away just in case I lose/break/gift this one away.

TimboKhan
February 29, 2012, 02:04 AM
Away from work, a Spyderco Endura or Tenacious, but more and more often, a Kershaw Blur. Basically, while I occasionally buy other knives for my collection, my rotation has worked itself down to that one Kershaw and those two Spydercos. A Manix 2 is also in my very near future.

I have altered my wardrobe at work to the extent that carrying a clippy knife no longer works for me, so I have went entirely to carrying one of my mini trappers on Friday as a little treat, my spyderco Kiwi the rest of the time. I absolutely, 100% love that little Kiwi. Enough so that I have two in boxes stored away just in case I lose/break/gift this one away.

sidheshooter
February 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
Often an Emerson CQC-7. Sometimes something else; many times something else in addition to the stubby little folder. I've got enough knives to keep things fresh, but I tend to at least have the Emerson in the same place on me most of the time.

Mp7
February 29, 2012, 04:24 AM
this rides in my lighter-pocket

http://www.messermeister.de/assets/own/02my023.jpg

as soon as im in the outdoors, either a mora on the belt,
an Opinel in the pocket ... or some of my other foldes get to ride
in my front pocket.

JShirley
February 29, 2012, 06:51 AM
That's pretty neat. What is that?

Mp7
February 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
Meyerco Dirk Pinkerton Thumb Drive Utility Keychain Knife (Satin PLN) MJDPTD

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Meyerco-Dirk-Pinkerton--7013

Here a pic of the actual knife - on a standard sheet of paper.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=154416&d=1323424980

With the paracord protruding from my lighter-pocket ... its really handy to
bring into "action" ( as in give to work colleague, who tries to open sumthin)

(idont feel unarmed with it either. An unexpected block-move to the shin or arm would likely suprise any attacker.)

Mp7
February 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
pictured beside an ancient weapon called by the elves: Fork.
(for comparing dimensions)

;)

JShirley
February 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
Neat, thanks. :)

SG1
February 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
My EDC is a Kershaw Blur. Best pocket knife I've ever owned. It is with me 24/7 (nightstand when sleeping).

Recently I've taken a liking to the Michael Janich designed, Spyderco Yojimbo2. If I can handle it in person, it may just follow me home :)

Weedy
February 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
It seems there are quite a few Kershaw-lovers. I carry a Shallot around. I love it, got one for my dad a couple years ago as well, and he loves his too!

451 Detonics
February 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
Typically when I leave the house I am carrying 3 knives.

Knife 1 is a social knife, it gets used around people and is intended not to be upsetting to old ladies. 95% of the time it will be a smaller slipjoint. Today it is this Colt Peanut...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/colt/coltpea1copy.jpg

Knife number 2 is a larger locking blade normally worn in a belt pouch to handle heavy duty chores, today it was this AG Russell Swell Center

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/ag%20russell/2010b.jpg

Knife number 3 is a for emergency use only knife, whether that emergency is SD or cutting a seat belt or something similar. It will never be used for any daily cutting. Today it was this older Spyderco Police in black...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/folders/police1.jpg

These choices change daily btw...I like carrying something different just about everyday and with close to 300 to chose from I can mix and match quite a bit.

jwsracin
February 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
crkt ken onion ripple , i really like this knife
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa390/jwswaney/100_0136.jpg

Nematocyst
February 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
First, a Spyderco Manix JShirley gave me.

I always have at least one Spyderco on me. The Manix 2s are a favorite,
and the Translucent Manix 2 is my absolute favorite folding knife ever.

The one that rides in my right pocket every day for the last 2 years is a Spyderco Manix 2 (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418)that JShirley recommended back then.

Can't beat it. Holds sharp. Opens in less than a sec. Fav kitchen knife.
For SD, I'll take my 18" stick over it, but it'll do for back up.

JShirley
March 1, 2012, 12:13 AM
The Manix 2 is a GREAT knife, and a super value for what you get (super heavy duty, good steel, G10, large blade). Two of the potential complains of the Manix 2- abrasive scales and weight- are resolved by the Translucent Manix 2. The only "downside" will be if some users don't think the semi-opaque blue plastic looks as good as the black G10.

If the weight and abrasion aren't issues, then the Manix 2 is a tank, and well worth considering.

John

ArfinGreebly
March 1, 2012, 03:51 AM
I usually have a "social" knife about my person somewhere.

Like this one, for example . . . 160194 (a Buck 301 Stockman) Or maybe one of these . . . 160196 (a Case John Deere
Medium Stockman)

I generally have a very presentable
wood-handled SAK as well: http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=103080&d=1249878104&thumb=1 (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=103080&d=1249878104) (shown with a flashlight
and a Kershaw Double Cross)

Along with a Leatherman and a
full-sized general purpose folder: 160195 (Full sized folder in this case is a
Normark-branded EKA Swede 92)
Other full-sized folders I carry are pictured here (http://noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2009_1024-Knife/Smaller/2009_1024-Knife001.jpg). (Part of this spread (http://noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2009_1024-Knife/Smaller/images.php).)
From left to right in that photo:
Buck 110, Buck Vantage (Avid), Normark/EKA Swede 92, Case Sod Buster (large), Benchmade Steigerwalt 12700

In my jacket pocket, I keep an
old, well used, yellow handled Case
Sod Buster Jr, kinda like this one: 160197

ssaint04
March 1, 2012, 04:11 AM
I generally carry a Victorinox "Explorer" (BSA edition) - it's been the knife I've used since I was 12, all through the Scouts, etc.

I also carry a Gerber Suspension multi-tool.

And, when at work, I carry a Remington FAST fixed-blade tucked into my boot.

Nematocyst
March 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
... potential complains of the Manix 2- abrasive scales ...

I wore a partial hole in a pocket before I understood how abrasive that G10 is. :eek:

I solved it though with a recommendation from someone - may have been you or Hso - coated most of the fabric side with clear nail polish.

Zero problems since then. Looks a little funky, but I didn't buy it cause it was purdy, but because it's such an awesome knife. Best pocket folder I've ever owned by far.

Of course, relative to some of you, I'm a total novice with knives.

JShirley
March 1, 2012, 01:05 PM
hso made that suggestion, IIRC.

Nem, considering that the Manix 2 is one of the best folding knives I've seen, you get the benefit of years of experience...without buying all the folders I've gone through! :D

mole
March 1, 2012, 05:11 PM
What benefits does the Spyderco Manix 2 have over the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 555hg?

http://www.benchmade.com/products/555HG

They appear to have many similarities with the 555hg having a smidgen more cutting length in a smaller, lighter package that won't chew up your pants. The Manix 2 does look like it would be nice for when you have to choke up on the blade---which is one reason why I like my Spyderco Byrd meadowlark so much.

Dave McCracken
March 1, 2012, 06:34 PM
Mole, mine does not chew up any pants. FWIW, the scales are green on this one, they'd go well with digital camo and are probably designed to do that.

The Manix is more knife than I usually need, but so what?

Oh yes, I just shaved a bare spot onto my left forearm. This is quite sharp and keeps a good edge....

click clack
March 1, 2012, 07:25 PM
After a long, tedious, expensive search; I finally found the Syderco Native 2. Perfect combination of my fondness for lockbacks and weight. The balance, the lockup, the blade, everything. I love it. It's been riding tipup in my right pocket since Xmas and I havent gone a day without it... I wouldnt mind trying a Benchmade Mini Grip though....

Nematocyst
March 1, 2012, 08:22 PM
Nem, considering that the Manix 2 is one of the best folding knives I've seen,
you get the benefit of years of experience...without buying all the folders I've gone through! :D

Smiles. Yes, and I thank you for that! :)

hso
March 1, 2012, 08:50 PM
Nail polish works well on scales where the clip pinches the fabric against the abrasive surface. It also works well to keep screws from backing out.

RX-178
March 1, 2012, 09:37 PM
I carry so many knives on a daily basis it'd be hard to list.

...And I mean all at once. I don't go home periodically in the day to change my knife or anything. You probably guessed that already, but just in case...

My MAIN EDC knife (and excluding any kind of multi-tool since I tend to consider those separately) is an Extrema Ratio Nemesis at present. I keep that pocket completely empty of anything else, so I feel I can afford to keep a big folding knife in there.

Honestly though, the CRKT PECK on my keychain has been getting more use since it's
easier for me to get the key rings off of my maxpedition keyper than it is to get the Extrema Ratio out of my pocket.

Ala Dan
March 1, 2012, 09:57 PM
I own better knives, but my EDC knife is a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek; blue/w black smoke ~! ;) :D

JShirley
March 1, 2012, 10:11 PM
mole,

I'd believe the Manix 2 is stronger. The Translucent Manix 2 is probably a better comparison to the mini-grip, but I think there may be some confusion on the blade length. The Mini Griptillian has a 2.9" blade. The Manix 2s have a 3 3/8" blade. The regular Griptillian has a similar 3.45" blade.

John

Loosedhorse
March 1, 2012, 10:41 PM
http://www.tigheknives.com/Tgal1jpgs/tighebreaker.JPG

What's life without style? :D

Carl Levitian
March 1, 2012, 11:00 PM
The only knives I carry are traditional pocket knives. A Case peanut with Devon Thomas damascus blades and amber bone is my daily edc. If I need something bigger for a day afield, I'll drop a Casr CV sodbuster or Opinel number 8 in a pocket. All carbon steel old school knives. I don't think I even have a stainless pocket knife anymore.

If I need a weapon, my blackthorn stick is always with me.

Carl.

Vipercon64
March 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
Benchmade Nitrous Stryker in spear point with G10 handles, titanium frame and G2 tool steel blade! Good, light weight, medium sized carry for under 3oz.

Mp7
March 2, 2012, 04:13 AM
.. a cold steel Pocket Bushman :D

Its 2 milimeters under the legal length
i can carry ... and ill make an IWB Kydex sheath for it.

( thats the plan. Dunno how often it will be carried)

JShirley
March 2, 2012, 04:36 AM
Um...the Pocket Bushman's supposed to have a lot going for it, but it may not be an ideal defensive piece...which I'm assuming is what you envision, if you plan on IWB.

If you're looking for value-priced but good, maybe you could consider the Spyderco Tenacious line, or the HK (Benchmade) knives (http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/benchmadehandk-14410bksoldatdrop-point-blackbladecomboedge.aspx).

John

Twmaster
March 2, 2012, 06:22 AM
Until recently I carried a 'Winchester' branded liner-lock folder. Nice looking knife but just does not hold an edge well.

I recently swapped it out for a Kershaw Chill (partial serrated blade) It was a gift. So far I am very very happy with the chill. Opens in a snap. Almost literally. I have trouble quickly opening knives with thumbstuds.

gotigers
March 2, 2012, 08:15 AM
Since my office has a policay of no "weapons" i carry knives that are smaller. I did carry a Gerber Ripstop. It was great. I lost it and got a new one. The new one sucked. I now carry a SOG Twitch II. It a great small pocket knife. Light, thin, assisted open, belt clip, etc. Kershaw Chive was the other knife i considered. I still might get one.

When i am not at work i carry either a Spyderco Tenacious plain edge or a SOG Trident Tanto plain edge. The SOG is carried when i go to parts of town i dont know. It seems to be a better SD knife.

hso
March 2, 2012, 10:12 AM
If your office has a "no weapons" policy, but doesn't specify blade length/shape I'd print a copy of the state or local law that does define what characteristics make a knife a "weapon" by definition. That way if someone comments about the "weapon" you're carrying you can quote the law and the definition to them to demonstrate you're fully aware of what is and isn't a weapon.

Loosedhorse
March 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'd print a copy of the state or local law that does define what characteristics make a knife a "weapon" by definition.I don't think that's going to help, especially in any state that uses common law definitions.

From COMMONWEALTH vs. WYNTON W., 459 Mass. 745:the phrase "dangerous weapon"...must be interpreted as incorporating the common-law definition of that phrase, i.e., those objects that are dangerous per se (designed for the purpose of bodily assault or defense) and those things that become dangerous weapons because they are used in a dangerous fashion.
And that's just dangerous weapons. A "no-weapons" policy would seem to also include nondangerous weapons.

Whatever those are. :confused::D

It is suprising that companies with no-weapons policies will nevertheless let you bring your car to work! :eek::rolleyes:

JShirley
March 2, 2012, 11:58 AM
I don't think that means what you think it does.

designed for the purpose of bodily assault or defense

There are specific knives "designed for assault and defense". Many states describe them, often including bowies, daggers, and push knives. IOW, there are lots of knives not designed for assault or defense.

Further, it seems to say that anything can become a dangerous weapon. Since your workplace obviously isn't going to stop you from wearing a belt or tie...I'm pretty sure that your quotation doesn't really prove anything.

John

Loosedhorse
March 2, 2012, 12:48 PM
I don't think that means what you think it does.Well, I was mostly looking at this part:those things that become dangerous weapons because they are used in a dangerous fashion...and I'm pretty sure that means what I think it means.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the whole passage means what I think it means. But, yes, if a particular state does NOT depend on common law defintions (and has statutory definitions instead), then the common law definition would not apply there. it seems to say that anything can become a dangerous weaponYep, we agree. Which is why I said having such a definition in hand wouldn't help much.

hso
March 2, 2012, 01:14 PM
In TN and many other states what is a weapon is defined. Commonly blade length and shape define whether the pocket knife you're carrying is a weapon or not. 4" or more - weapon. Dagger - weapon. Switchblade - weapon. Other than that you're goood.

zignal_zero
March 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
i stopped using the ESEE 5 as an EDC (lazy i guess) and went with something lighter. i now EDC a Benchmade model 51 and absolutely love it. i do keep a good heavy blade in the car, just in case i need more than my little balisong and i will probably step it up a notch once i can buy a Zero Tolerance 0100 (which i plan on carrying concealed in a 2 Munkeez IWB). until then, though, it's just my trusty lil BM51 :)

Loosedhorse
March 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
In TN and many other states what is a weapon is defined.Got it. Here, there is a long list (http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10) of similar items that are illegal to carry; but they do not have a particular "weapon" status.

gotigers doesn't specify his state. States may define "offensive weapons", or "prohibited weapons", or "dangerous weapons", or some combination thereof...but I'm not familar with many that statutorily define simple "weapons."

In contrast, most office "no weapons" policies are not "no prohibited weapons" or "no offensive weapons" policies: just no weapons.

I suppose that in a state that specifically offers a permit to carry concealed weapons, one might try to argue that if you don't need a permit to carry an item legally, then that item isn't actually a "weapon"...

:confused::)

Yo Mama
March 2, 2012, 02:04 PM
i cant seem to find a thread on this so i figured id ask

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=600940

I don't understand why we can't keep this in one thread?

Pietro Beretta
March 2, 2012, 02:12 PM
My EDC knife is a ka-bar TDI knife, the small one. I has a fixed blade, and can be held -- right side up, or upside down.. (I am sure there is better way to say that). I carry it on my weak side on my belt, when I pull the knife the blade is down with the blades edge toward my strong side.

The purpose for this knife is that if anyone is going for my firearm and I can not get away, or do not have time to pull it, I pull my knife so it slashes across the attacker and/or whatever is extended into or at my person (hand, arm) so I can protect my gun and get away.

I don't carry a folding style knife, things happen so fast, fumbling with as little mechanisms as possible is better.

ApacheCoTodd
March 2, 2012, 06:38 PM
Which ever one is least beat at the time goes everywhere with me. Each is a great tool that has been beat, tuned up and beat again many times over as more than a knife.

I can't say enough for either manufacturer and don't care what they cost me given what they've held up to to date and represent several lives of lesser tools.

Twmaster
March 2, 2012, 07:34 PM
Pics:

http://www.twmaster.com/stuff/edc/edcblade2.jpg
Winchester 2-1/2" blade. My old EDC.

http://www.twmaster.com/stuff/chill.jpg
Kershaw Chill. My new EDC. And I love the thing so far.

Mp7
March 4, 2012, 11:10 AM
@ JShirley

thx 4 the link to the HK ...

Just the fact it has the logo of a firearms manufacturer
wouldnt carry a good message :(

PLUS .. out funny jurisdiction has made "one-handed-openers" illegal to carry,
so ANY knives with a thumbhole are out of the question ("$&%//%$)
( ... u never saw me posting a Spyderco for that reason)

Thumbstuds have to be removed. But i can live with that - and its the first thing i do.
Technically a 1(!) millimeter blade would be illegal - if it can be opened onehanded.
( ... i can carry folders AND i.e a Mora as a belt knife and be completely legal ... makes absolutely no sense....)

Oh well. I mainly carry a pocket knife to cut things, not people.
Any1 whos got martial arts experience knows a knife-fight is
nothing youd wanna be involved in anyways.

76shuvlinoff
March 5, 2012, 06:20 PM
EDC, the knife part of it anyhow.
At work, home, shopping, the movies, dinner, or to friends homes for cards with my bride of 25 years. (hey EDC means EVERY day right?) There is a smooth blade Benchmade Minigrip clipped in my front jeans pocket. If I think the sight of the clip might bring a frown I drop it all the way into the pocket.
With a jacket most of the time my strong side hand is in the pocket wrapped around a stout (and freakishly sharp) Buck 110. I guess I could always hammer something with it if I need to. :D

smallbore
March 5, 2012, 07:05 PM
My EDC . .A Kershaw or Spyderco & Case Sodbuster.

mdauben
March 6, 2012, 12:49 PM
I've got a handful of folders I rotate through for EDC; a Spyderco Delica, a Kershaw Composit Leek, a Case Large Trapper, and a Victorinox Farmer. Which one I carry just depends on my mood that day, although I think the Delica gets the most "pocket time"

stevek
March 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
On work days it is a Chris Reeve small Sebenza, and a SAK Classic. On days off it is a Hinderer XM-18 3.5" and the SAK. Many others make occasional appearances :)

RX-178
March 7, 2012, 12:10 AM
Planning on posting a picture of all the knives I carry day to day (where it's legal... I travel a lot and some things get removed depending on where I'm going to be at any given time... but basically). Probably have that up tomorrow.

If you enjoyed reading about "EDC knives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!