When purchasing a gun, have you ever been "Delayed" or "Denied"?

PDA

JohnGault
February 29, 2012, 06:27 AM
How long was your "Delay" or "Denial"?

If you enjoyed reading about "When purchasing a gun, have you ever been "Delayed" or "Denied"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RatDrall
February 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
This should be interesting, great idea for a pole.

klcmschlesinger
February 29, 2012, 07:40 AM
I have never been denied, but I live in Illinois, so there is a delay for everything. 3 days for handgun and 24 hours for long gun. Gives them ample time to sort anything out, at least in my case.

CajunBass
February 29, 2012, 07:58 AM
I've always been delayed. Always. It's just gotten worse the last year or so. It used to an hour so. Long enough for the wife and I go eat lunch or dinner or something, and I'd get a call that everything was ready.

Lately, it's been more like fill out the papers and put the gun on layaway. By the time you pay it off, the paperwork might be ready.

Virginia uses it's own background check system, and it has fallen apart. The state police who administer it say they're shorthanded and the load has increased at the same time, both probably true. The General Assembly has appropriated more money to hire more people, but that's still a long way off at best.

Alland
February 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
I am no longer a Virginia resident so this is just an outsiders view. I would think that instead of throwing more money at the problem they should just do away with their check and let NICS do the job at no cost to the state..

tnxdshooter
February 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
How long was your "Delay" or "Denial"?

Not really per se. Normally when I woukd buy guns it would be almost instantaneous approval. I bought one here about a week or so ago and it took 45 minutes for approval.

Tim the student
February 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
I've never had it take more than a couple minutes.

freyasman
February 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
I was once kept waiting for 21 days, when I tried to purchase a 22lr for my son's 13th birthday at a Wal-Mart in NC. I was told that the "instant" check on active duty military often takes awhile due to them having to check multiple jurisdictions. I took my business elsewhere.

DesertFox
February 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
Denied once. Inquiring to the BATF got me a letter saying that I should "try again later." Took me 6 months or more to make it over to the place that was holding the piece. 2nd attempt to pick up was successful after the guy dug it out of the annals of his vault.

bikemutt
February 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
Denied once. Inquiring to the BATF got me a letter saying that I should "try again later." Took me 6 months or more to make it over to the place that was holding the piece. 2nd attempt to pick up was successful after the guy dug it out of the annals of his vault.
That's a novel approach, asking the BATF why you were denied. Then being told to "try again" is fascinating. Was this before the NICS was invented?

dogtown tom
February 29, 2012, 12:27 PM
freyasman I was once kept waiting for 21 days, when I tried to purchase a 22lr for my son's 13th birthday at a Wal-Mart in NC. I was told that the "instant" check on active duty military often takes awhile due to them having to check multiple jurisdictions. I took my business elsewhere.
Long gun checks in North Carolina are done by FBI NICS. Taking your business "elsewhere" won't change that.....every dealer in the same state has to follow the same rules. It is possible that at the end of the third business day, WalMart chose to not transfer you the firearm until they received a PROCEED from the FBI.

Being active duty military has no bearing on an FBI NICS check.

DesertFox Denied once. Inquiring to the BATF got me a letter saying that I should "try again later."
If you were actually DENIED I can guarantee that you didn't get a letter from ATF saying 'try again later" as ATF has nothing to do with background checks....try the FBI or your state point of contact for NICS.

Appealing a NICS denial requires submitting fingerprints or documentation. You don't get a try again letter.:D

CoRoMo
February 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
Yep.

One was all of about 20 minutes or so.

The other was technically not a delay. It was during the 2008 election hysteria and I bought the gun in January 2009. The dealer had so many NICS/4473 backed up that it took another day for me to get my rifle.

kutz
February 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
Here in New Mexico its 5-10 minutes

krupparms
February 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
After 911 .I was held up on 3 gun sales. I believe it had something to do with my birth place! I was born in morrocco with a dual citizenship. Dad was on active duty. I gave up my Morroccan citizenship when I went into U.S.A.F.at 17. No reason was given, but I suspect that was it. It has happened once in a while since but only for a day. Wish government would get its act together, but might as well wish for world peace! Never happen!

USAF_Vet
February 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
I've never been denied or delayed.

Carl N. Brown
February 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
I did not vote because of the nature of my delay. My only delay was at a gun show, where I walked around and waited on a bargain by biding my time to the last hour of the last day (when the vendors were looking at needing "road money"--gas, food, lodging). The background check did not complete before closing time, so the gun was transferred to a local dealer (one of the show sponsors) for completion of the transfer to me the next day. I feel the delay there was my fault.

Byrd666
February 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
I've never been Denied or Delayed for any reason, though I know of quite a few folks that have been or are being delayed. And I've never seen a pattern to it.

Bubbles
February 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
When I lived in VA it was common for me to have to wait 2-3 days for the approval. Once I moved to WV it was instant.

Mango88
February 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
Here in in the Republic of Texas you simply fill out the form 4473, show them your Concealed Handgun License, lay your money down and take your purchase with you. The CHL will suffice for the NICS check.

MostlySurly
February 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
Delayed once for a couple hours when the NICS was down.
Other than that, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes.
Now, my CWL serves as the background check - no wait at all.

Marty183
February 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
I get to go for "further review" every time I go through the NICS check. I have a fairly common name I guess. It has nothing to do with me personally.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk

beatledog7
February 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
I almost get delayed at least for an hour, based on what I used to do for a living and my having spent time in the places where I used to do it.

CajunBass
March 1, 2012, 05:53 AM
I am no longer a Virginia resident so this is just an outsiders view. I would think that instead of throwing more money at the problem they should just do away with their check and let NICS do the job at no cost to the state..

From what I gather from the VCDL newsletter that was discussed. The funding increase was for one year, and the state police were told to fix it, or lose it to the NICS.

Davek1977
March 1, 2012, 06:00 AM
Delayed for three days once, otherwise never an issue (South Dakota, for reference sake)

Autolycus
March 1, 2012, 06:17 AM
I have never been denied. But I did have to go through a few hoops for my Florida permit. Got them resolved and I am now a Florida permit holder.

freyasman
March 1, 2012, 01:54 PM
Dogtown Tom, my decision to "take my business elswhere" was because they chose not complete the sale after 3 days. Legally, they could have; they chose not to. Ergo, I took my business elsewhere.

dogtown tom
March 1, 2012, 02:49 PM
freyasman Dogtown Tom, my decision to "take my business elswhere" was because they chose not complete the sale after 3 days. Legally, they could have; they chose not to. Ergo, I took my business elsewhere.
Got it.
It's saddens me that any firearms dealer would be so paranoid as to not transfer a firearm when the law does not prohibit them. I've learned since getting my FFL is that gun dealers love to invent imaginary laws and nonexistent ATF regulations.

danoam
March 1, 2012, 03:11 PM
I've never been denied, but I've been delayed all but once in the past couple years. I've never had to wait more than two days though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ForumSurfer
March 1, 2012, 03:31 PM
I live in NC and I have a concealed handgun permit. We have some really backwards laws here. One law that I do love is that the CHP background check process is a federally approved alternative to NICS. I haven't had one done since getting my permit, so I'm not going to get denied. :)

Dnaltrop
March 1, 2012, 03:45 PM
Nope, I give my SSN, was done in seconds without a hiccup this morning.

Oregon sadly does not allow the CHL to count as a NICS check.

zxcvbob
March 1, 2012, 03:50 PM
Mine always gets delayed for about 5 or 10 minutes unless I give my SSN. Not sure what the hiccup is. Never been denied, and never a long delay.

JohnGault
March 2, 2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks to all that have voted.

I am not a fan of the NICS and was "Delayed" for 30 days, tried again and one day later got the approval.

For further reading.......

http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/ATF/e0406/final.pdf

"On the basis of our review, we believe that the percentage of persons
subsequently found not to be prohibited is significantly higher than the
10 percent cited by the ATF. As indicated in the report, 69 of the 197
delayed denials we reviewed were closed because the person was
determined not to be prohibited."

Page 75...........

I wonder what the <...future...> stats will be, these are from 2004 and published in 2008.

Our poll may be an indication of today's ATF and NICS data?

Clark
March 2, 2012, 08:04 PM
I had to get a concealed carry permit to avoid delays.

Then the kitchen FFL told me that if I order more than one handgun, I should only pick up one per week, or he has to report me.

So I have a choice, and I chose to pick them up one per week.

zxcvbob
March 2, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have a carry permit (also a C&R FFL) and the last gun I bought was a rifle -- when the FFL called in the 4473, the FBI still wanted my SSN before they would approve it.

There must be an ex-con somewhere around here with the same last name.

Brockak47
March 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
never

Josh45
March 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
Never had a delay.
Never had a deny.
Even before carry permit. It does help a lot when doing the paperwork!

ghitch75
March 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
i have a LTCH in Indiana and i get delay ever so often.....it will be 3 days tomorrow on a rifle:fire::fire::fire:...this is the longest time i have been delayed:fire::fire::fire:.....usually 24 hours has been the longest....i don't get there stupid system:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

pingpingping
March 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
I've been delayed twice...once for about 15 minutes, and once for about an hour. Most times however it is instant.

wow6599
March 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
Once. A new FFL doing a transfer and I didn't want to give my SS#......delayed about 15 minutes IIRC.

Franchise42
March 2, 2012, 10:01 PM
Before I got my CCP I was always delayed. Somebody close to my name or social did something bad. They would always call a few hours later to say all was well. Since I got the concealed permit, I don't even have to wait for them to call.

HILLBILLY-06
March 2, 2012, 10:28 PM
A buddy of mine works at the gun counter at an Academy Sports, and he say's every time somebody named Smith or Jones tries to buy a gun, they always get delayed. He also said ,they always get pissed too, every one of them.
Maybe the more common names or something are harder to run through, or they could just be picking on them, i don't know, thats just what i heard anyway.

Pietro Beretta
March 17, 2012, 02:06 AM
I live in Oregon: I was delayed the last (first) time I purchased a firearm in this state.

We have to go through OSP as a middle man for background checks.

I was told by OSP (Oregon State Police) that it was because of a charge I had in California and they needed to check that out. (misdemeanor)

After the third day with no response, I took possession of the firearm. Luckily the LGS knew the law and was more than willing to work within it.

I have no clew when they got the proceed or how long it took.

I am about to go in and buy my second handgun and figure that I will get delayed again; I just hope the new LGS I am dealing with is aware and willing to work with me within the law.

The Lone Haranguer
March 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Under the NICS system, or more recently, TBI, no delays or denials. ( I assume state waiting periods are outside the scope of this topic.) I have nothing disqualifying against me, and there is little chance of mistaking my family name for someone else's. :)

e3mrk
March 18, 2012, 03:01 AM
I always get put on delay.
Funny thing is I have a Concealed Carry License.

Black Duck Charlie
March 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
I have been "delayed" on the five long gun purchases I have made through pawn shops/retail stores, including the one long gun that is incapable of firing anything but blanks. The only times i have not been "delayed" are when I have purchased through private sales, such as at gun shows, and when purchasing black powder firearms.

The only way to guarantee that you will not be "delayed" is to get yourself one of those Unique Personal Identification Numbers from NICS.

Black Duck Charlie
March 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
dogtown tom said
It's saddens me that any firearms dealer would be so paranoid as to not transfer a firearm when the law does not prohibit them.

It saddens me that so many people will do something just because the law does not forbid it.

Swing
March 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
Nope, never delayed or denied.

Ryanxia
March 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
Happy to say I've never had a delay/denial.

Black Duck Charlie
March 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
Those who complain about having to wait for anything, including when purchasing a firearm, should sign up for a tour of Military Duty -- then they'll truly understand what having to wait means.

Those who have been or are already in the Military should already know -- and beyond complaining about that which they have zero control over.

It is called "hurry up and wait" for a reason.

bikemutt
March 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
The only way to guarantee that you will not be "delayed" is to get yourself one of those Unique Personal Identification Numbers from NICS.

It would be nice if that were completely accurate. Even with a UPIN I still get brief delays. So far never more than a couple minutes when it's called in, usually 20-30 minutes if the FFL uses e-check. Most of the time though, it is pretty much instant.

Black Duck Charlie
March 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Even with a UPIN I still get brief delays. So far never more than a couple minutes when it's called in, usually 20-30 minutes if the FFL uses e-check. Most of the time though, it is pretty much instant.

That's a symptom of today's expectation of things being "instant": The expectation that "instant" really does mean instantaneous, with a mere one-millisecond (or less) delay. In the Military, a "delay" is at least two hours. It's that "hurry up and wait" thing.

DesertFox
March 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
Agreed that people have gotten comfortable with "instant".

After reading through the posts that followed my original post, I should clarify - my situation was similar to another poster who had a pending misdemeanor, which led to being declined initially. And my "try again later" letter from the FBI specifically stated that it was because of this pending case. I shrugged it off and picked it up much later, as the LGS was 250 miles away...

Another thing that would give this poll more validity is how many firearms total purchased overall. Getting delayed or denied 1 times out of 3 purchases is one thing whereas 1 out of 50 is pretty reasonable.

dogtown tom
March 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Black Duck Charlie dogtown tom said

Quote:
It's saddens me that any firearms dealer would be so paranoid as to not transfer a firearm when the law does not prohibit them.

It saddens me that so many people will do something just because the law does not forbid it.

Something like....... buying and selling guns?
I guess that whole Bill of Rights really bums you out.

I would expect that from Mayor Bloomberg or a member of the Brady Bunch.....not from any self respecting firearms owner.:scrutiny:

GWARGHOUL
March 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
I get the standard 3 day delay per brady act.

Why?
Well, my dad has the same name as me, and he has been in federal and state trouble.
Apparently there is also a guy with the same name as me, similar birth-date that gets into some trouble a few counties north from here.

I would apply for a UPIN, but I don't like the feds digging around anymore than is already necessary. I have enough arms to where my purchases are not "critical".

One time, I didn't have to wait the 3 days. I had to wait 2...lol then I got proceeded.

nomadrider
March 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
I have been delayed the last two times and it started this year. Never an issue before. First time is was a day and a half. Second time was this evening. I was told that the trend they are seeing is that if you get delayed, you will keep being delayed. I hope that doesn't become the norm for me (Alabama).

chez323
March 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
Only issue I've ever had was when NIC's was down, happened only twice in all my transfers.

JoeMal
March 23, 2012, 05:49 PM
Never ever....of course I say that and now I will get denied every time

absinthe
March 23, 2012, 05:54 PM
I have never been delayed. I have a very uncommon name.

foghornl
March 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
I never have, but a former co-worker got delayed "every (colorful language deleted) time".

Seems that some ahhhhhh disreputable person with same name and only 2 digits difference in SSN had kited a bunch of checks and was otherwise generally a no-good-nik

bikemutt
March 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
I would apply for a UPIN, but I don't like the feds digging around anymore than is already necessary. I have enough arms to where my purchases are not "critical".

Not trying to talk you into getting a UPIN by any means but the feds don't go digging around looking for anything when you submit a VAF application and fingerprints. They simply keep a persistent record of whatever it is that causes them to take longer to research your record than is customary. This way, when a NICS check is submitted with your UPIN, they cut to the chase; "Oh, it's YOU Bob!".

Now, if you furnish them with some ancillary information in your VAF application they DON'T know about, count on them investigating it, as they should.

I had about as weird a set of circumstances with my VAF imaginable, it took a denial and 6 months to sort out, but I have no hard feelings about it, especially since it was resolved in my favor. I was treated respectfully and professionally by the FBI and the NICS.

BLB68
March 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
Are we including waiting periods for handguns here?

PapaG
March 25, 2012, 02:32 PM
Many of our customers are routinely delayed, given a "T" number, and then are approved within the same day. I'm often given a T for a few hours but since I live in IL (Republik of) it is going to be a minimum of 24 hours wait anyway. No rhyme nor reason for it in most cases...sometimes the center is busy, and I no longer call in the 4473s during the lunch hour for that reason.

sniper762
March 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
cia employees "always" get a delay

NMCCWGUY
June 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
I was never delayed up until about 2009. I ordered a Saiga and got the 3 day delay, but the dealer never heard back from the ATF so I walked out happy. Then the next year I tried to purchase an AR and got the dreaded denial. I filled out the paperwork and sent in fingerprints. Recieved a letter stating I matched "prohibitive criteria" and that it would take 176 days for them to review. Well after I called my Congressmens office I recieved a call from the FBI about a month later and I now have a UPIN. Went back in for my AR and the UPIN went right through.

JSpear
June 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
I get delayed almost everytime! I've gotten use to it tho, did miss out on my first mosin last week at a gun show cause of it tho! Did get the proceed yesterday but I'm not driving two hours for a mosin.

winterhorse290
June 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
took longer to fill out the form than anything else. no delay. 30 minutes in and out.

Salman
October 26, 2013, 04:19 PM
In Tx.. As a permanent resident still delayed!! First time buyer
Went last wednesday to FFl chose a glock 22, filled out 4473, dealer made a call turned my info in and further review!! She put a date on the form for tuesday and said if we dont hear anything by monday, tuesday u can come pick up your handgun!
Only question i have is let say if i go pick up on tuesday and still no response from nics and ffl will transfer it to me, after that if i get a denial what do i need to do?
Am i getting charged for possessing firearm illegally? And feds will pick me up?
I have a clean record and i meet the criteria to buy handgun legally. And since i live in an apartment with my wife i really want something for self defense, since every other day theres an aggravated robbery.
Reply will be appreciated!

bikemutt
October 26, 2013, 04:49 PM
To this day I still get the further review, delay thing from time to time. It always clears within 1 to 2 days. Relax, take the delay as an opportunity to do some fishing :)

dogtown tom
October 26, 2013, 05:08 PM
Salman In Tx....Only question i have is let say if i go pick up on tuesday and still no response from nics and ffl will transfer it to me, after that if i get a denial what do i need to do?
Your delay is because you are not a US citizen. Buyers who are permanent residents or in the US on a tourist visa, temporary worker visa or student visa, require NICS to contact INS to verify your immigration status. Sometimes this can take as little as fifteen minutes, or if NICS is receiving a high volume of calls......several days. :(

The Brady law does not prohibit (but does not require) the dealer from transferring the firearm to you after the third business day. If after the firearm has been transferred and NICS returns a "denied" result, they may ask the dealer to provide your information. The dealer will not come and get your gun, but some law enforcement agency may.:uhoh:

Am i getting charged for possessing firearm illegally?
Only if you are a prohibited person.

And feds will pick me up?
Only if you have committed a crime.

I have a clean record and i meet the criteria to buy handgun legally.
You will be fine. To avoid the NICS check when you purchase a firearm, get your Texas Concealed Handgun License.

orionengnr
October 26, 2013, 05:40 PM
Never.

Sure is nice having that TX CHL. :)

Ooops...just realized...another necro-thread bumped back to life by yet another first time poster.
Search much????:rolleyes:

drcook
October 27, 2013, 10:33 AM
I have been delayed once and always get sent "for further review". As a courtesy to the folks doing the calling, I always tell them to expect the further review. I even give them my SSN. However, as soon as the call gets answered (after being sent for further review) the "proceed" is almost instantaneous. It takes longer for the call to get transferred and answered than for the proceed to be given.

I have no idea why. I assume it is because I share the same name with someone or because a couple times in my past I have been investigated in order to hold a security clearance. In my early 20's I worked at a defense shop working on some pretty interesting things.

I have been looked at when I held licenses to sell insurance and I have been investigated when I worked at a bank. I was in IT and had absolutely no access to money, the processes to handle or transfer money, but because there was a vault and securities on the same floor as they put our group of programming staff, they investigated anyone new being hired in.

dogtown tom
October 27, 2013, 11:30 AM
drcook ....I have no idea why. I assume it is because I share the same name with someone or because a couple times in my past I have been investigated in order to hold a security clearance.
It's your name, security clearances have zilch to do with it.

On an odd note, I have a customer who is a reserve police officer and former licensed gun dealer........he's been delayed EVERY TIME for the last five years (about two transfers a month btw).

Well, Friday night his NICS check goes for further review................and he gets a proceed. He didn't believe me at first.:D

sniper762
October 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
once the ffl gets a "delay" and 3 days expire with no update from nics, the ffl MUST transfer the weapon to you and you have LEGAL posession. NO NICS ACTION WILL FOLLOW

bikemutt
October 27, 2013, 01:37 PM
once the ffl gets a "delay" and 3 days expire with no update from nics, the ffl MUST transfer the weapon to you and you have LEGAL posession. NO NICS ACTION WILL FOLLOW
I don't believe the ffl must transfer after 3 days, he may transfer it if that's his policy.

As far as I know the ffl has the final say.

tommy.duncan
October 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
I was once delayed because someone with the same name in another state wasn't paying his child support. I got that taken care on and I have never had a problem again.

DammitBoy
October 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
Get 15 minute delays almost all the time these days, started about 3 years ago. Never had an issue before that.

Red Wind
October 27, 2013, 03:43 PM
Never denied. One delay 6 years ago, but it seems the system was temporarily down.

dogtown tom
October 27, 2013, 04:11 PM
sniper762 once the ffl gets a "delay" and 3 days expire with no update from nics, the ffl MUST transfer the weapon to you and you have LEGAL posession. NO NICS ACTION WILL FOLLOW
Absolutely, 100%, completely and wholly false.:banghead:

1. There is no federal law that requires a licensed dealer to transfer a firearm to anyone for any reason.
Example: You complete and sign your 4473 and the dealer calls in the NICS check......you get a "proceed". The dealer can choose at this point to deny the sale for any reason he wants......shifty eyes, runny nose, bad breath or because you keep talking to your imaginary friend.

2. After the three business days has elapsed, the dealer IS NOT PROHIBITED from transferring the firearm........and NICS may return a status of "denied" days later. This is why some dealers (especially big box stores) absolutely will not transfer the firearm until they recieve a proceed.

Hondo 60
October 27, 2013, 04:44 PM
Nope, no delays.
And I've bought quite a few guns over the last 5 years.

Jet-mech
October 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
I can't remember the last time I wasn't delayed. Happens pretty much every time. How long of a delay varies. Could be a few minutes , could be a week.
Never been denied though.

ColeK
October 27, 2013, 07:35 PM
I've never been denied but was delayed once for about 10 mins because the system was down.

Arizona_Mike
October 28, 2013, 11:29 AM
Always instant for me before my CCW. AZ was overwhelmed with CCW applications and when asked if I had an AZ CCW I could honestly answer "I'm not sure". My last NICS check was after the approval date on my CCW when it arrived in the mail later.

Mike

dogtown tom
October 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
ColeK I've never been denied but was delayed once for about 10 mins because the system was down.
A NIC "delay" means the FBI needs additional time to complete your background check............not because the dealer takes a long time to process your 4473/NICS. A NICS "delay" is an official status provided to the dealer by the FBI and recorded on your 4473.

Arizona_Mike .....and when asked if I had an AZ CCW I could honestly answer "I'm not sure". My last NICS check was after the approval date on my CCW when it arrived in the mail later.
You actually have to have the firearm permit in hand to be able to use it as an exemption to the NIC check. The dealer has to record the type of permit, issue or expiration date and the permit#. Merely telling the dealer "yes, i have a CHL/CPL/CCW/etc" isn't good enough.

xxjumbojimboxx
October 28, 2013, 12:31 PM
God it is the most frustrating thing because my delays are random, sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't... with the side of don't being more frequent. Its usually well less then the three day period... But its gone as long as 5 or so. (my first gun took 5 days at academy)

AppealPlay
October 29, 2013, 09:33 AM
In Virginia, background checks are performed by the Virginia State Police. The number of checks has far exceeded the amount of funding allocated to the VSP. This has led to completely ridiculous problems with delays. I was at Green Top buying a gun a few months ago around the panic and just about everyone was delayed. It took ~45 minutes for the VSP to catch up.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mine always gets delayed for about 5 or 10 minutes unless I give my SSN. Not sure what the hiccup is. Never been denied, and never a long delay.
The "hiccup" is likely someone else with a similar name, or sounding name, and the SSN helps them separate you from them.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
A buddy of mine works at the gun counter at an Academy Sports, and he say's every time somebody named Smith or Jones tries to buy a gun, they always get delayed.

Not my experience here in SC using NICS.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks to all that have voted.

I am not a fan of the NICS and was "Delayed" for 30 days, tried again and one day later got the approval.

If you got "Delayed" for 30 days ... it wasn't NICS. After 3 days NICS goes to OPEN, and the FFL -may- complete the transfer. After 30 days it drops off the system all together.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:16 PM
I always get put on delay.
Funny thing is I have a Concealed Carry License.

IF you are using NICS, and not some State bastardized system, you should consider the VAF system to help with that.

www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/appeals-home

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:18 PM
I get the standard 3 day delay per brady act.

Why?
Well, my dad has the same name as me, and he has been in federal and state trouble.
Apparently there is also a guy with the same name as me, similar birth-date that gets into some trouble a few counties north from here.

One time, I didn't have to wait the 3 days. I had to wait 2...lol then I got proceeded.

They do the same digging (sans the fingerprints) they do for the UPIN as they do for all of your gun purchases ... all you are doing is saving them (and you) time.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:20 PM
I get delayed almost everytime! I've gotten use to it tho, did miss out on my first mosin last week at a gun show cause of it tho! Did get the proceed yesterday but I'm not driving two hours for a mosin.
The VAF and a UPIN will be your friend.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:24 PM

Ummm .... nope

"may" and "must" start with the same letter, but they ain't da same word.

For a firearm transfer, the FFL is "god almighty" ... except for a DENY. Even with a proceed they can refuse to complete the transfer for any, or no, reason, and there is not thing one anyone can do about it.

mgkdrgn
October 29, 2013, 05:25 PM
If Ohio uses NICS .... UPIN and VAF will help with that.

medalguy
October 29, 2013, 07:57 PM
As a Texas resident I was always denied, usually for a day. Then I got my Texas CHL, and as they say, the rest is history. I really don't understand why all states don't use the CHL in lieu of the the background check.

climbnjump
October 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
Was delayed a couple days one time years ago. I hate putting my SSN on forms, so I tried to get by w/o it once. The problem is that I have a very common name and at the time shared a street address (large apartment bldg) with someone else with my same name (I didn't know this until later). He was not quite an "upstanding citizen" and the resulting confusion on which one of "us" I was caused the delay. I've always used my SSN since and have never again been delayed.

stressed
October 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
I get delayed for 1 day, but my LGD told me that it's common among veterans? He has 6 other vets he deals with - who all get delayed as well... So I dunno.

bigdogpete
October 29, 2013, 09:15 PM
Never slowed down or denied. CHP sure helps.

Glock Doctor
October 29, 2013, 10:08 PM
No, never. Not even once in the past 52 years. (And mostly in New Jersey, no less!)

dogtown tom
October 29, 2013, 10:38 PM
medalguy As a Texas resident I was always denied, usually for a day.
Denials aren't for a day.............they deny the transfer until you file a NICS appeal and it is ruled in your favor (which takes MONTHS). You received a delay, not a denied response.

Then I got my Texas CHL, and as they say, the rest is history. I really don't understand why all states don't use the CHL in lieu of the the background check.
Only states whose firearm permits meet certain standards qualify as exemptions to the NICS. Among the requirements are a background check of the applicant and an expiration of no more than five years ("lifetime" permits do not meet the requirement)

Wolfgang james
October 31, 2013, 09:30 PM
Here in the grand ole nys ive never had a delay that I know of. After the guy goes in the back room for 15min they come back saying you're all set. In my early 20s I had a few misdemeanors that hasn't slowed down the process. Even a local arrest warrant that i didn't know about had no effect lol

If you enjoyed reading about "When purchasing a gun, have you ever been "Delayed" or "Denied"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!