Insuring a collection of handguns

PDA

Dr_2_B
February 29, 2012, 07:30 AM
As many of you know, a sizable collection of firearms is not covered by regular homeowners insurance. For collections exceeding, say, $5000 there is a need for a rider. I'm considering the various options.

Can anyone tell me how you've handled insuring yours? Are there specialized insurance providers you like?

If you enjoyed reading about "Insuring a collection of handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GE-Mini-Gun
February 29, 2012, 07:39 AM
A lot of guys in the NFA community use these people...

http://www.collectinsure.com/

wally
February 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
+1 to collectinsure, although never filed a claim so no telling how good they really are.

You declare a value and pay the premium, you need to back it up with receipts and photos should you need to file a claim.

No advance listing required.

mongo4567
February 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
+1 to Collectibles Insurance I've had them for years, but never had to file a claim. They have much more reasonable rates than riders on homeowners.

Lothar
February 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Have you considered the NRA's ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance program? You get the first US$2500 of coverage for free as an NRA member, and then you can add onto that optionally. I'm not sure of the cost for the optional coverage though. Here's the info:

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/ArmsCarePlus.htm

Also see the link on that page for "Gun Collectors" and other insurance programs.

BYJO4
February 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
I also suggest you check out insurance thru NRA.

M2 Carbine
February 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
In 1995 my gun shop burned down. I was told the guns and all the other gun stuff would be replaced up to the value of the personal property figure in the home owners policy.
As I recall the insurance company paid about $30,000. They didn't even want to see what was left of the guns.:)

Since then I've asked a couple times about the coverage on the guns and get the same answer. They are covered up to the limit of the personal property coverage. The only thing they said is if I have an especially high dollar gun I should have some pictures (which I do anyhow).

leadcounsel
February 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
I have the NRA insurance. It's affordable. A little more than a rider, but no need to provide them with a list. I just photograph and inventory everything.

If you enjoyed reading about "Insuring a collection of handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!