Ruger super blackhawk trigger question

PDA

ArkansasFatboy
March 1, 2012, 12:27 AM
I'm asking this question for a friend who is wanting to lighten the trigger pull on his Super Blackhawk. 44mag. He had heard something about removing the grips and unhooking a spring to lighten the trigger pull. I was some what skeptical of this and told him I would ask you guys about this. Any info appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger super blackhawk trigger question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
98Redline
March 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
Yes you can remove one leg of the trigger return spring (just take one side off the post) to lighten the trigger pull a bit however you do run the risk of the hanging leg binding up in the mainspring.

A better way to do it is to remove the spring completely and use a set of needle nose pliers to bend both legs equally to reduce the trigger pull.

Take a look here: http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

By far the best way to do this is to simply replace the trigger spring with a Wolf reduced power trigger return spring. You can buy an entire shooters pack for a Ruger Single Action from Midway for $13.00 (http://tinyurl.com/7knazz2)

Just my $0.02: Stick with either the factory or heavier mainspring, don't go to a lighter one. Depending on your particular gun a lighter mainspring, while helping to reduce the trigger pull can result in light primer strikes and failure to fire.

If you want to really do it up right, take it to a smith and for about $80 they can slick up the trigger and reduce the pull to a nice crisp 2.5 to 3.5# weight.

Salmoneye
March 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
As stated, unhooking one side of the spring is not the 'correct way', but many, many people do it without incident...

The thing to watch for is that one side wants to hang, and the other wants to 'hang up'...

On a Blackhawk I have, the right leg wants to hang, and if I do the left side instead, it will occasionally bind...

On an SBH I have, it is exactly opposite...

YMMV

MikeJackmin
March 1, 2012, 10:54 AM
FWIW I've unhooked one leg of the spring from both my blackhawks and they have performed perfectly ever since. Until I saw this thread I had no idea it was even an issue.

Try it, see if it works. If it hangs up, just hook it back.

-eaux-
March 1, 2012, 01:13 PM
*just my humble experience/your mileage may vary comment*

Shoot the heck out of it and it'll be slick as glass. Just about any Ruger SA revolver is gonna be a little rough out of the box, but with repeated cycling (dry and live fire) it'll polish itself smooth all by itself.

BCRider
March 1, 2012, 04:10 PM
I've unhooked one side as well and it's working fine.

eaux, there is two things to the trigger pull feel. One is the return spring tension which must be overcome to move the trigger back and the other is the smoothness of that movement.

You're right that some dry firing will burnish the surfaces and result in a smoother feel. But you'll never lighten the effort required if the stock spring is left alone or not replaced. And for many of us the stock spring results in an undesirably heavy effort being needed to pull the trigger. Especially for bullseye or plinking.

98Redline
March 1, 2012, 04:57 PM
Actually there is one more thing that effects the trigger feel and that is the creep.

Even a smooth as glass trigger will have an undesirable amount of creep if left the way the factory sends them out. Changing the amount of trigger to hammer engagement is how you adjust that, however without the proper fixtures you shouldn't even consider messing with it. Just a hair off angle or too aggressive with the stone and you will be buying a new hammer or end up with a gun that could drop the hammer unexpectedly.

Hunt480
March 1, 2012, 09:21 PM
The SBH Ruger is easy to disassemble and reassemble...I am not a gunsmith but am a notorious tinkerer. I love to work on Ruger triggers and have learned a few tricks to clean up the triggers... I take all my Rugers apart and polish the trigger and hammer...I have a "very very mild glass stone" I use first than I use a Dremel tool and the Dremel polish compound. I have found that polishing alone helps SRH's and SBH's and would probably be good enough for most folks. If you don't over do it you can hawn and polish away just about all of the creep from the trigger if you polish the "trigger notch in the hammer only"...You can remove one leg of the trigger spring but just order a lighter wolf replacement spring from Midway instead.. I got 1 SRH and 3 SBH and they all have about a 1.5 to 2 LB triggers with a very slight hint of creepif any. I bought a new SBH Bisely Hunter just 3 weeks ago and have already did the same trigger job to it as well...I hunt with all my handguns and these Rugers now have as crisp of a trigger as you can hope for.

Remllez
March 2, 2012, 09:46 AM
For reliability the $80.00 spent on an action job with new springs is money well spent. Unless shooting for score or hunting a Wolff shooters pack and some trigger time should work well for occasional shooters/plinkers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger super blackhawk trigger question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!