Looking for a good deal on 7.62x54R

PDA

juk
March 1, 2012, 12:35 AM
I just purchased my first rifles chambered for 7.62x54R and kinda don't know where to start. These are 91/30s, if that matters. I am not afraid of corrosive ammo, but don't want total junk. It will be to plink with, nothing else. No restrictions as to bullet metalurgy. I am looking for bulk ammo. I will try out the hunting grade stuff later. So, If you know of any good deals, please post up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a good deal on 7.62x54R" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
March 1, 2012, 02:11 AM
Expect to pay $ 80 for a can of 440 rds. Thats the good deal today , dont expect less than that. Also factor in the shipping. Good luck.

ssaint04
March 1, 2012, 03:42 AM
I see you're in Alabama. If you're in the Huntsville area, Larry's (where I bought my Mosin Nagant 91/30 just yesterday) had cans for $70 or so.

caribou
March 1, 2012, 04:39 AM
The sights on a Russian Mosin 91/30 are in Meters for Light ball ,silver tip or no color at all, will work fine, of course, with yellow tipped Heavy ball but beyond 100 yards its gonna hit a bit high.
On all Communist block(and still in former Soviet countrys) the bullet tip, the can and the wooden case ,there is a color code; a silver painted stripe or no stripe at all and its light ball, if there is a yellow stripe, its heavy ball, fairly simple. So with the '7.62X54r' on the milsurp, look for a color code (or no color) to see its weight.

Often, heavy ball is good for practise, as most Hunting ammo is heavier in weight, and hits a bit higher(inches) at longer ranges.

zhyla
March 1, 2012, 01:30 PM
An 880 round crate from SGammo worked out to I think $.19/rd after shipping. Best deal I could find.

skeptical_in_Ohio
March 1, 2012, 01:54 PM
Aim Surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/) in Middletown, OH has it on their website (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R&name=Russian+7.62x54R+147grn+FMJ+440rd+Can&groupid=40) at $72.95/440 rounds if you buy 2 or more cans.

juk
March 1, 2012, 02:08 PM
That's good to know about the color codes. Thanks for the info guys. I will probably get 2 cans. I made the mistake of getting a single can of 7.2x39 without the can opener. That thing about gave me fits when I was trying to pry it open.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a good deal on 7.62x54R" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!