OK, who is keeping the NRA video and not paying for it?

PDA

madkiwi
January 29, 2003, 07:18 PM
Now, I love the NRA as much as the next person on this forum (well, maybe that is not true judging by some comments). Unfortunately, I think their business and fund-raising practices are abhorrent. But sending an UNSOLICITED video and then a bill???

We got the "Guns of Valor" video in the mail. Of course they make it confusing (Gee honey, did you order this?) and try to make you think you wanted it. Then they sent a bill (Member Reply Form- uh huh...) and graciously offer to take it back if you REALLY REALLY don't want it.

I'm sorry, I say "Screw 'em"- I am going to send the card back in the envelope and telling them they can go pound sand. Why I should have to do anything at all, I did not ask for the video, I don't feel obligated to return it. It is a gift, just like when Procter and Gamble sent me a small box of Tide. They never came along later asking for me to pay for it! Let them come by my house and pick it up if they want it back.

What did you do with your tape? Are you as offended as I am? How did you word it when you told them you were keeping the tape but were not paying them?

madkiwi

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, who is keeping the NRA video and not paying for it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdsteele
January 29, 2003, 07:28 PM
What did I do with my tape?..............................I liked it and I payed for it!
:cuss:

Lone_Gunman
January 29, 2003, 07:32 PM
I called them asked about it.

They said just keep the tape for free, no need to send it back.

Not a big deal.

cratz2
January 29, 2003, 07:40 PM
Send it back FedEX super duper express overnight AM Saturday delivery postage due. Should be about $30!

This is terrible, horrible, atrocious fundraising at its very worst! If HCI sent NRA members the an anti video, we'd be up in arms. This is the exact same thing.

Hkmp5sd
January 29, 2003, 07:45 PM
Didn't ask for it. Not going to waste time messing with it. I do not like SPAM, even in snail mail.

QuickDraw
January 29, 2003, 08:46 PM
Haven't received a video.But I do know that the Fed. law states
that if you receive unsolicited items in the mail,you get to keep'em.

QuickDraw

nygunguy
January 29, 2003, 08:59 PM
They sent me a tape a few years ago. I called them and told them to quit wasting my money on stuff like that and use it to support 2A issues.

It must've worked since they haven't sent me anything unsolicited [except membership notices] since. I've since signed up for email ILA alerts. I do look forward to my issue of American Hunter.

NRA, if you're listening - Please quit wasting our money on unsolicited junk mail. Offer it up on the Web Site or let people sign up when they renew. Just my opinion.

F4GIB
January 29, 2003, 09:31 PM
Keep it. Under federal law anything sent unsolicited through the mails can be kept with no obligation. It's a gift.

Weimadog
January 29, 2003, 11:12 PM
Didn't ask for it, kept it. They used a slimey marketing technique.

22x9
January 29, 2003, 11:26 PM
Didn't ask for it. Played it once. Not going to go thru the hassle of sending it back. I may call one day and tell them to quit wasting my membership dues on gimmick promotions.

I thnk my wife has taped over it with Barney or something for the kid.

Redlg155
January 30, 2003, 12:22 AM
I never got one from them. Hmmm..perhaps it's in the mail soon. Anyway, it's doubtful that I will send it back.

Reminds me of a commercial that used to come on T.V. from the U.S. Postal Service. An Eskimo in Alaska come out of his Igloo and finds that someone sent him a fan. :D

If they send me a bill I'm sending them one back for return postage plus my own "shipping and handling" charges.

Good Shooting
Red

coonan357
January 30, 2003, 12:34 AM
recieved one , called them and they said keep it and I told them not to send me anymore , 2 weeks later got another one . called again same answer . hmm maybe by the end of the year I'll have the whole series ...:D

El Rojo
January 30, 2003, 12:51 AM
I got a reminder letter a while back asking what I was going to do with the video, keep it or send it back. I am still procrastinating taking any action whatsoever, that includes even watching it. Yeah, that was a pretty crummy fund raiser if you ask me. I have been waiting for this thread to pop up.

January 30, 2003, 01:27 AM
I got mine. Paid for it. Since then have gotten at least a dozen more, paid for them. I watched one tonight, watched one last night. Enjoyed them both, and am looking foward to the next one. In fact I am going to be disappointed when they run out.

PATH
January 30, 2003, 01:38 AM
All I ever get is the magazine. No one ever sends anyhting but the magazine. Maybe they don't like me!:D :neener:

TheEgg
January 30, 2003, 10:23 AM
There is no legal or ethical obligation to pay for or return unsolicited merchandize.:neener:

muddyboots
January 30, 2003, 12:17 PM
I watched it once and put it on the shelf. I did not pay for it and threw the follow-up in the trash. I suspect that this merchandising campaign did not cost the NRA anything. The publisher foots the bill and gives a cut of the profits to the NRA.

Poodleshooter
January 30, 2003, 12:28 PM
I mailed it back as they requested. Along with a note, mentioning the rather pertinent fact that I do not own a TV or VCR. Maybe they'll be as amused as the Nielsen people were when they called.

JerryN
January 30, 2003, 12:45 PM
I feel left out.

All I ever get is a phone call. "Hey, you wanna renew?". "Sure", I say. "Sign me up for another coupla years". "Okie, dokie", they say.

Seems like an odd marketing campaign, but not something I'd get all hot and bothered about...

pbman
January 30, 2003, 12:57 PM
I threw mine in the trash, as the VCR isn't working and i don't use it.

If they had given a postage paid envilope i would have returned it, but these things a not worth the postage.

I do like the NRA, but i am getting tired with the junk mail.

Quartus
January 30, 2003, 01:08 PM
I'm with you, madkiwi. I get something unsolicited, it's mine.

DAV hates me, but they keep sending address labels. :D

Kentucky Rifle
January 30, 2003, 01:44 PM
I send the NRA money. Even EXTRA money in addition to my dues. However, I was offended that they would just send a tape and ask me to pay for it. Not a big "blood pressure raising deal", but it still "tasted bad". I don't know where my tape is. I've neither watched it nor sent it back.

KR

Brad Johnson
January 30, 2003, 01:50 PM
The videos are just all the History Channel's Tales of the Gun episode (without all the annoying Bowflex and Oxyclean commercials). I really like the series, and really enjoy the tapes.

For those who seem to enjoy costing someone else money - just send in the billing statement they send you with "CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION" in big letters across the front (written in crayon, if you want to be childish about it). I would prefer that you have the conscience and cordiality to save the rest of us dues-paying members a few bucks that can be spent fighting Rosie and the Brady Bunch.

Brad

p.s. - If you don't like getting marketing materials, call the NRA and have them put you on the "no marketing" list. This will stop the solicitation and leave you with just a once-a-year dues statement. If you don't have the fortitude or initiative to do so, the please shut the #$%^ up and quit whining about wanting someone else to change something that you have total control over.

4v50 Gary
January 30, 2003, 04:26 PM
I kept the medal & sent the tape back. Maybe I'll silver solder a hoop to it and attach it to a ribbon. Ordre l'chausser. Pin it on and walk into the bar & have strangers buy me drinks. Opps, I don't drink and don't hang around bars.

Crimper-D
January 30, 2003, 05:39 PM
If You want the skinny on how the NRA's offensive fundraising practices got started, and why - Turn your (Google) browser to "Good Morning Gun Lobby!" a mid 90's article from "Mother Jones" leftwing to be sure, but good job of reporting. = Answerd a lot of questions about why the NRA is perfectly willing to continue to enrage a large portion of it's rank&file membership with their 'aggressive' solicitations.
I'm a dues paying member, but when the professional fundraisers in that branch of the organization send me tapes, I take a heavy felt tip and write "RETURN TO SENDER!" across the top after defacing the barcode at the bottom of the package. :cuss: :fire:

Dan Shapiro
January 30, 2003, 05:45 PM
Didn't want it, didn't watch it, didn't pay for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, who is keeping the NRA video and not paying for it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!