March Rimfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
March 1, 2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the Rimfire Match for the month of March! This match is open to any and every 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the perennial favorite .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., .17HM2, .17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires that you might have). This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

There are Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

*Note that the distance is back to our typical range of 25/50.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, sub-.20cal. chamberings, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles chambered for any rimfire cartridge .20cal./5mm and larger)

Both classes can be shot from any position. Rests/Sandbags/bipods are permitted in the Target Class only. Shooting stick(s) are now permitted for both classes (either crossed or walking stick style). Use of a sling is encouraged.

25 Yd. (Irons) Target: See image in the link below. Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper. The objective is to fire one shot at each ring (feel free to color them to increase visibility). Scored as indicated for nicking the ring, and double that for a shot lying completely within. No penalties for a miss, but if one of your shots stray and there are two holes in the same circle the lesser score is the one for record.

50 Yd. (Optics) Target: Same as above.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/DecreasingCircles.jpg

If you enjoyed this match and want a bit more challenge, or just compare your rimfires to their big brothers, check out the concurrent Centerfire Match using the same target at double the range.

When you are satisfied you've done your best post/attach (or shoot me a PM) a photo or scan of your target with as much of the following information as possible: Forum name (or name you want posted in the results), Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated; all submissions due before March 32nd. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "March Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
March 1, 2012, 04:55 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/RimfireMatchScoreboard-2-1.jpg

Orlando
March 1, 2012, 05:10 PM
Mav
If you miss are you allowed to take another shot at the same circle?

Maverick223
March 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
Nope, the first one counts. Maximum of 13 shots per target.

:)

Orlando
March 1, 2012, 05:18 PM
Sounds good to me

sixgunner455
March 1, 2012, 05:18 PM
Interesting! Like a "know your limits" target, without the zero points for the sheet if you miss one. :D

Maverick223
March 1, 2012, 05:22 PM
You got it! Also note that I slightly altered the scoring to favor the wee circles (increasing values).

Orlando
March 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
Cant wait to shoot this one Mav. You picked a good one

Maverick223
March 4, 2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Orlando.

chute2thrill
March 4, 2012, 10:36 PM
I like it! For my first THR competition, I plan to come in 2nd to last. haha

Maverick223
March 4, 2012, 10:48 PM
Welcome, chute2thrill!

Hey, at least your setting an achievable goal, right?...in other words: my name will probably be the one following your's. :p

sixgunner455
March 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
I shot this thing 4 times this morning. I actually had one target where I hit the 13 - I only cut it good, though. That target was 84pts and this one beats it due to consistency at 88pts, in spite of missing the itty bitty stuff.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/sixgunner455/Postal%20Match%20targets/MarchHighroadRimfire001.jpg

Savage MKII FV .22LR, Bushnell 3x9x40, bench with bag front and rear. Stock seemed a bit short, so I've added a recoil pad instead of messing around with spacers.

Eley/Remington Target Rifle. So far, this is the best ammo I've used in this rifle. But it's kind of expensive, and I don't have anymore for now. Have to try some other stuff, too.

Maverick223
March 10, 2012, 11:26 PM
Well done, sixgunner455. If you are looking for other ammunition to try, I would highly recommend RWS Match Rifle as well as SK Rifle Match/Wolf Match Extra (same stuff) for excellent accuracy without spending a small fortune (no more than the Rem. branded Eley, and possibly a bit less). Aguila Rifle Match also does surprisingly well for even less investment (not the best match ammo out there, but nothing in it's price range has been able to get close to it's performance IME).

KSCCHTrainer
March 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
That IS some doggone good shootin', sixgunner455!

I'm hoping to be able to shoot outdoors again this month as it's March and my buddy that built the range on his property is within a couple of miles of me. If I can catch it on a day his wife has the horses in the barn instead of the range area, I'll shoot this one outdoors with the older Savage Mark II .17 Mach 2 with some of my hoarded Eley ammo or maybe not. The 93R17 needs warmed up too.

Gonna shoot the Centerfire match on the indoor range though, only chance I'll have of hitting that super little dot at 100 yards even with the Sav Model 10 Tactical. I'm working on another iteration of the Reloader 15 load with Sierra 62 grain MatchKings over the Prvi Partizan 69 grain bullets so wanna see what it does out of the wind first.

BTW Mav, this is close to the most challenging target you've come up with yet - I like it!

Jim

Maverick223
March 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thank you for the kind words, Jim. To be perfectly honest, this was one that I dug out of my archives because I didn't have time to make a new one from scratch.

sixgunner455
March 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks, y'all. There is some month left, so if I get some more ammo in, I may try it again just for giggles.

Orlando
March 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
Made it to the range today for my first attempt. The wind was a killer
It sure is hard reading the wind with these 22's. I would hold 1/2 inch to the right to hit center then the wind would let up and I would completely miss the small circles
I shot 5 targets and this is the best
Modified/scope divison
Kimber 82 22cal
50 yds , off bench, front rest /rear bag
Center X ammo
Sightron 16 power
10mph with 15 mph crosswind gusts
53 degrees, cloudy , light rain
# 11 is so close , I'll call it a miss.
Score 135 ?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/fa086.jpg

Maverick223
March 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
No. 11 looks like a hit to me, I'd call that a 146. Outstanding shooting, Orlando!

Maverick223
March 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/RimfireMatchScoreboard-2-1.jpg

sixgunner455
March 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Wow, that's outstanding. I know exactly what you're talking about, trying to read wind and drift, Orlando.

Gregaw
March 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have a new rifle! This was my second time really shooting it. So far I'm very happy with it.

This is from my first range session on Saturday:

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/gregaw/MarkII.jpg

It is a Savage Mark II FV with a Mueller 8-32X44mm scope on it. I'm shooting Wolf MT. It is my first experience with any of this equipment. I'm liking it!

So today I got out in the back yard and shot 3 targets. These two both came in at 145 by my count. Sorry about the lousy pictures. I shot them from the prone position from the bipod and my small rear field bag.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/gregaw/circles1.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/gregaw/circles2.jpg

The weather was great here today, but the wind was comin in from the right in some nasty gusts that kept giving me problems. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out again soon!

Fun Target! Thanks Mav!

sixgunner455
March 15, 2012, 12:42 AM
Nice. I'm shooting an FV also. Gonna have to work on things (mostly me, I'm sure) to hang with this crowd!

Gregaw
March 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks. I agree about the pull feeling a little short, I may look into a pad. I'm also going to be adding a cheek rest soon too. I have some thick Kydex laying around, I just need some bolts. I made one for my Savage 10 last year. It's been working very well.

I'm loving the 32X scope! It feels like the target is sitting right in front of the barrel.

Maverick223
March 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
Nice rifle, Gregaw. As far as the stock goes I don't like 'em, IMO it's worth the money to swap it for a Boyd's replacement.

Gregaw
March 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
to swap it for a Boyd's replacement

Yes, that's the plan, but I can put a cheek rest on it for less than $5 for now and upgrade when I have the funds. Unless of course you'd like to make a donation??? :D:D:D

Maverick223
March 15, 2012, 01:30 PM
Unless of course you'd like to make a donation?Sure thing...what size screws do you think you'll need for that cheek-rest? ;)

Orlando
March 15, 2012, 04:34 PM
Gregaw
Nice rifle and great shooting.
Looks like the wind is going to be 10mph and less tomorrow,I'm going back for another attempt

waho
March 16, 2012, 11:20 PM
Where do you find this link to print? I've tried to print the target, but nothing shows up.

Maverick223
March 17, 2012, 12:48 AM
Where do you find this link to print? I've tried to print the target, but nothing shows up.I'll add a .pdf copy of the target tomorrow morning...should fix you up.

alman
March 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right here I am .............. Took this target out to the range this morning with the Savage 93g & Marlin 883ss , Some CCI 22hmrs & my son . Seemed like we overcame the 10-20 mph winds and shot some pretty decent scores . What we did not overcome were the shooters to each side of us that peppered our targets with various caliber of holes . Wont post the tagets because I am not 100% sure what holes were ours . Guess we'll try again before the month is over . Did have big fun shooting this challenge with my son . Anything to make it interesting is a plus .

Maverick223
March 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
waho, my apologies for the delay on the .pdf, it was getting late last night and it completely slipped my mind this morning. Also, forgive my manners; welcome to the forum and the match! Attached is a copy of that .pdf, let me know if that fails to solve the problem.

Maverick223
March 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
Did have big fun shooting this challenge with my son .Then you won. Hope you have better luck with your neighbors on your next outing.

waho
March 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thank You, the PDF file worked.

Maverick223
March 17, 2012, 10:58 PM
Glad to hear it; again, sorry for the delay.

jduff8505
March 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
I don't know if I missed it or maybe read over it, but does the challenge have to be shot at an outdoor range? I have access to an indoor range but not outdoor.

Jeff

Maverick223
March 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
Nope, go for it; we don't discriminate.

subdude
March 18, 2012, 10:20 PM
Here's my first attempt. Sporting class, with optics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/subdude/71861c68.jpg

1998 Ruger 77/22 with a Tasco 3-9 x 40 scope mounted. Sitting position with a forked shooting stick. 65 degrees, sunny, wind gusting 6 - 10 left to right. Federal standard velocity target ammo.

By my count it's a 104. Doggone wild shot at 11 cost me half of the ten ring score. :cuss:

Maverick223
March 18, 2012, 10:47 PM
By my count it's a 104. Doggone wild shot at 11 cost me half of the ten ring score.That's still some fine shooting...well done.

Maverick223
March 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
Courtesy of GI_Jared, here is a copy of the match target in technicolor. Feel free to use either: color for clarity, B&W for thrift (or if you'd like use a B&W colorized with a crayon for a combination of the two). Enjoy.

Orlando
March 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Wheres all our shooters? Come on guys this target isnt that intimidating is it??
Its all just for fun, get out and shoot

Maverick223
March 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
Orlando; that's what I have been wondering. I know that I haven't been around that much (horribly busy as of late), has something changed that I haven't noticed?

P51D
March 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Here you go, Orlando, fresh from the range today.

This looks like a tie with you, at 146. :D Truly an honor to be anywhere close to your scores.

My standard tools:

CZ-452, Weaver 3-9, sandbags on a bench. SK Standard + ammo

P51D

Maverick223
March 23, 2012, 08:58 PM
Very nice, P51D!

KSCCHTrainer
March 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
Wheres all our shooters? Come on guys this target isnt that intimidating is it??
Its all just for fun, get out and shoot
Been stockpiling ammo and reloading supplies. Seems like everyone's in "panic" mode again and I'm not going to get cut short this time.

Been reloading .45, .44 Mag and .223 plus stocking up on .17 HMR so I can sit back and laugh when all the "last minute preppers" can't find any ammo.

I have enough lead put back so I can cast .45, 38 and .44 bullets. Not bothering with .223 as I've got plenty of 55 and 62 grain FMJ's and .224 bullets are hard to get gas checks for.

I hope to get to the range and post some targets before the end of the month, but P51D set the bar pretty doggone high with that last target! NICE SHOOTING!

Also, I have had to stick around and keep an eye on the extremely seedy looking construction workers doing a rebuild on my neighbor's house that burned a couple months ago. Nobody in the crew admits to speaking English and they keep eying our cars every time we have to open the garage door. To top that off, the PD has been keeping a patrol working the neighborhood and they never used to do that so I figure they've been tipped off about some of the crew. I asked the Chief, but he isn't giving out any info so it may be ICE is having our PD keep surveillance on some of them.

Right now, I'm the only one that's retired and has time to be "neighborhood watch" during the day and the awareness level has gone from white to yellow for the first time in 10 years.

Jim

Samclrk
March 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
KSCCHTrainer,,Sir,You took the words right out of my mouth.I`ve been buying powder and bullets by the hundreds.I`ve been shooting four or five days per week.I have my 22wmr ready.I`m now working on my 218,243 and my latest,a 3ooWM.I want to be ready when NATO kicks in my door.

Chief RID
March 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
I hate I missed March guys. I will try to get out there in April. Site was down for me. Never saw an explanation but I am sure glad it is back.

Maverick223
March 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
Still a bit more March left, i'm still hoping for a nice day to get out there and give it a go myself.

mitch127
March 25, 2012, 01:48 AM
Here's the best of the 5 targets I tried today.

Rifle: 10/22
Scope: Leupold 2-7x set on 7x
Ammo: cheap federal stuff (might try to get to this again if I can find some Wolf this week)
Position: prone with sling
Conditions: Outside, sunny, light wind (<5mph) left to right
Score: I read it as 112.
Impressions: With federal bulk pack ammo I'm usually around 1.5" groups at 50 yards with this gun. Given that I'm pretty happy with the target. The 12 and 13 were both safe from me on every attempt. A combination of crosshairs that were wider than the target and me just not being very good at holding on such a small point. Something to work on.

KSCCHTrainer
March 25, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hey man, no shame in not shooting them super small targets at all. Doggone good shooting with a 10-22 using a sling with no rest!

I'm hoping to get out monday with my bipod & bags 93R17 to see what I can do on this one. Outside range supposedly will be clear of horses Monday & Tuesday as my buddy's wife is having the Vet in to give 'em their spring check-ups. They'll be in the barn so I'll be able to use the outdoor range (as long as I'm able to dodge the "horse apples" for a place to lay the shooting mat) :eek:

I don't want to have to shoot this one on the indoor range for what I consider to almost be an unfair advantage (no Spring winds) on those last 3 "dots" even if I am in the "modified/target" class. I just put new batteries in the Caldwell "Wind Wizard" and got my Mil Dot calculator figured out so I'm gonna try and give P51D and Orlando a run for their money on it!

Jim

Maverick223
March 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hey man, no shame in not shooting them super small targets at all. Doggone good shooting with a 10-22 using a sling with no rest!I agree on both accounts. Not shooting at the tiny targets when you can't get a good sight picture is just being smart, and that is some great shooting.

Gregaw
March 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
I really enjoy this target. I'm also enjoying my new Mark II. I shot two targets today. I can't believe I jerked the 10 shot down. I'm lucky I didn't miss it completely! I almost had a perfect shot on 13, so close... This one scores 159!

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/gregaw/22march3.jpg

Maverick223
March 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'm also enjoying my new Mark II.With a score like that I can certainly see why.

KSCCHTrainer
March 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
Crud! The only way I'll ever beat that one is to shoot the 93R17 on the indoor range - Might have to anyway. According to the weather service we're supposed to have winds 20-30, gusting to 35 with rain and thunder tomorrow.

I wish I could have gone out there today as there has been hardly a breeze, skies "severe clear" and temps in the low 80's. Perfect range day with just enough mirage to make it interesting.

Jim

Gregaw
March 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
The wind had been 5 - 10 most of day, but it west mostly calm later in the afternoon. There were a few weak gusts, which ruined my first target. I shot prone from a bipod.

I've never shot at an indoor range before. Hope you get a chance to shoot a target Jim. I'm always amazed and inspired by your great shooting!

Greg

KSCCHTrainer
March 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
Gregaw, thank you sir. I'm only an average shooter who has been extremely lucky to come up with 3 outstanding rifles after many years of mostly garbage.

They say everything runs in 3's and it finally happened. First, I found a used Savage Mark II in 17Mach2 that turned out to be a tack driver after I found out how to bring the trigger from 8-9 pounds down to 3.5 with nothing more than a couple pieces of .025" brass shim stock. Then I grabbed a new Savage 93R17 in .17HMR from Gander mountain for cost because it had been out on the shelf and the stock was all dinged up and the bolt had visible rust on it. It will put at least 3 rounds through the same hole at 100 yards from a rest. and the third was a Savage model 10 Tactical with a 20" Shilen barrel on it in .223. I put a Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock on it with the massive aluminum bedding blocks and after very little experimenting, I found that it really-really liked 69 grain PPU Match grade boat tail hollow points over 25.0 grains of Reloader-15. I got a 5 shot group at 100 yards that you could cover with the base of a .308 bullet.

It don't get much better than that. I'm a lefty and all three of these rifles have left hand bolt actions. Both the rimfires are wood stocked. The 93R17 has an accutrigger. I put a Rifle Basix trigger on the .223 and have it adjusted to 2 pounds. Glass included, I have no more than $250 in either of the rimfires and the .223 came with a 6-18 X 40 Mil Dot Nikon on it for $400 shipped to my friend who has an FFL (no transfer fee).

It don't get much better than that. I figure at age 70, I needed a break and after all those years of buying many dumb things, I finally got my 3 gems and they didn't break my bank either.

Now all I gotta do is stockpile enough ammo for the .17HMR (I have 12000 rounds on hand for the Mach2) and reloading components for my handguns and the .223 before Obummer kills the market again.

Jim

P51D
March 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks, KSC. Orlando set the bar for me (us) and I just barely managed to reach it :). Now Gregaw has forged ahead with some great shooting. Thumbs up, Gregaw.

Let 'er Rip, KSC! ;) Hoping others will kick in as well.

Most importantly, THANK YOU to Mav for keeping this rolling!! ;):D:):cool:

Orlando
March 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
Nice job Gregaw

Maverick223
March 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Most importantly, THANK YOU to Mav for keeping this rolling!Thank you, all of you folks, for sticking with me all this time!

sixgunner455
March 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
That is some shooting!

KSCCHTrainer
March 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
Wow, got really lucky this morning. Went out to my friends place just after sunrise this morning. The wind, what little there was that early was right over my left shoulder and according to the Caldwell Wind Wizard was only 1.5 to 2 Mph. Temperature was 57F. It still took me 4 targets to get the windage right on that little 13 bugger! Gotcha though Gregaw, after 4 I finally managed to keep one of those little .17 caliber pointy nose thingies completely within the dot on the 13! (Don't ask me to repeat it as I had to forego my morning coffee to remain steady enough). I'm a sauer Kraut (Grumpy German) if I don't have a half pot of coffee in the morning!

Class, Unlimited/Modified/Target
Distance 50 yards, prone, Bipod with a rear sand squeeze bag.
Rifle Savage model 93R17, Left hand bolt .17 HMR, wood stock
Bsa Sweet 17 4-12 X 40 Side Focus optics.
Ammo Hornady 20 grain V-Max
Environment, see above.
Score 189 (If I counted right). I didn't!!! It's 182 -- :banghead:

Looks like the "out of the box" Savages are still pretty much at the top of the heap. Why spend a thousand on an Anschutz or some such when cheap Savage can produce as good or better accuracy right off the shelf.

Jim

Gregaw
March 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Nicely done. I just knew you wouldn't let me stay on top, although 24 hours of being in lead would have been nice! ;) Maybe I'll have to dial back the scope and shoot without the bipod for the sporting class since you've aced this target for the unlimited!

(I think 182 is a perfect score on this target)

sixgunner455
March 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah, 182 is a clean target. Nice job, both of you guys.

KSCCHTrainer
March 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
Actually, if I read Mav's scoring right, completely within the circle doubles the value for that circle so it would certainly be 182. I must have bounced a key somewhere on the calculator when I added 'em up. Certainly didn't do it in my head - HA:banghead:

I should have taken the .223 with me and shot the centerfire match this morning as well, but I wasn't sure how long I was going to have before that vet was ready to turn the horses back out of the barn. I've got a bunch of other irons in the fire between now and the first of April so I might not get a chance to do that one.

Tried to get my buddy Frank (owns the property & range) to shoot the match with his Remington semi-auto 30-06 but he took one look at the target and what he said was completely un-printable :what:

Maverick223
March 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
Well you might not be able to count, but at least you're a heck of a shot, right? :p Very well done, KSCCHTrainer!

allaroundhunter
March 26, 2012, 08:28 PM
Jeez, it kills me not getting to shoot these matches. But being in college I don't get to have guns with me, and I wouldn't have much time to shoot even if I did :o

Maverick223
March 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
I know where you're coming from, allaroundhunter. When I was in school, I felt like I lived in the College of Engineering building. Good luck with your studies.

allaroundhunter
March 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
When I was in school, I felt like I lived in the College of Engineering building. Good luck with your studies.

Thank you.....I also live in the engineering building...

KSCCHTrainer
March 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Well you might not be able to count, but at least you're a heck of a shot, right? :p Very well done, KSCCHTrainer!

That's what I get for being a 70 year old Redneck! Like Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "I don't get no respect!"

That was a fun target to shoot at. Good thing my wife had to be at work early this morning or I'd have had coffee before I went to the range. I'd never have beat either Orlando or Gregaw if that had happened.

Glad I went early too, Good old Kansas wind was kicking up after about 10 a.m. with 20-30 and gusting to 35 or better. Plays hell with them little .17 caliber boolits.

Weather service calling for rain & T-storms later tonight and all the way through Thursday now so probably won't get a chance to shoot the centerfire outdoors if I even get to shoot it at all. I do want to see if the .223 will punch that little 13 circle at 100 yards assuming I can even see it. Nikon scope is Mil-Dot and I think the center dot in the reticle will probably look bigger than the 13 at 18 power.

Jim

KSCCHTrainer
March 26, 2012, 09:57 PM
Jeez, it kills me not getting to shoot these matches. But being in college I don't get to have guns with me, and I wouldn't have much time to shoot even if I did :o
Back in the day (55 years ago) I used to carry my .22 rifle to high school on the bus. Had a DCM 1000 inch smallbore range in the basement under the Gym and they even provided the ammo & targets. If your grades were B or better, you could go shoot during lunch hour and afternoon study hall. This was at Dubuque Senior High in Dubuque, Iowa.

Try that today and everybody's in jail!

Gregaw
March 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Try that today and everybody's in jail!

Yes, but our schools are soooo much safer now that they are 'Gun Free Zones'!!! :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Maverick223
March 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
Like Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "I don't get no respect!"Not when you hang around this crowd! :p

Thank you.....I also live in the engineering building...No worries; you'll get less busy after you graduate, then pass the FE, then PE exam...eh, it's hopeless, but rest assured it does eventually get better.

allaroundhunter
March 26, 2012, 11:38 PM
Back in the day (55 years ago) I used to carry my .22 rifle to high school on the bus.

.....oh I wish...

but rest assured it does eventually get better.

Haha, that's what they all tell me :rolleyes: but at least it keeps me busy

roval
March 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
will see if the post goes through
target cat savage mark II with BSA 4-14 scope front caldwell rest and rear sandbag with wolf ammo
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/roval_01/rimfire/005426x640.jpg
and
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/roval_01/rimfire/006426x640.jpg
138 with half assed shooting on the bigger targets

KSCCHTrainer
March 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
roval,
Pretty doggone good shooting. Now all you gotta do is remember exactly how you were holding for that shot on number 4 (in the top target) and keep that up. You do that consistently and the rest of us won't have a chance.

Them Savage rifles just keep on delivering, don't they.

Maverick223
March 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
roval, it went through and it looks pretty darn good.

Them Savage rifles just keep on delivering, don't they.Seems like it. Particularly WRT the rimfire market, I can't think of one better for the money.

tech30528
March 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Just finally looked at this thread, thought for sure it was going to be a meet and greet so I skipped it (not that I don't like you guys, I'm a pretty busy guy). But this is very cool. I'm doing ammo testing this weekend but I'll print up a couple dozen of these and take a crack at it. Even if I don't hit the deadline, this will be a lot of fun. Thanks!

Maverick223
March 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Welcome, tech30528! Feel free to shoot it beyond the deadline (and share the results if you don't mind), but I urge you to check out the new match that is planned for the beginning of the month. We plan to stick around for a while, hope you will too.

roval
March 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
KSCCHTrainer I thought I was going to do better with the bottom target it was the second one I shot but I finally had a FTF with wolf match 22 for target no. 10 and the next ammo load was from a differnet box with a different lot.
I do love that 22 savage but then I do love my savage 12 also.

KSCCHTrainer
March 28, 2012, 08:50 AM
KSCCHTrainer I thought I was going to do better with the bottom target it was the second one I shot but I finally had a FTF with wolf match 22 for target no. 10 and the next ammo load was from a differnet box with a different lot.
I do love that 22 savage but then I do love my savage 12 also.
Don'cha just hate it when that happens? Only ammo I've ever had FTF's with is Remington "Golden Bullet" stuff so I don't buy it anymore. Both my SigSauer (GSG) 1911-22 and my Savage Mark IIG love the Federal bulk pack stuff from Wally World (getting scarce these days). Nobody around here sells the Wolf .22 so haven't ever tried it.

The Mark IIG has the normal slim barrel and it isn't really accurate enough to shoot one of Maverick's tortuous targets so I relegate it to "plinker" status and use the 93R17 for the matches. Gotta love that super high velocity .17HMR. Even in the wind it doesn't move nearly as much as the .22LR.

Orlando
March 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
I really wanted to make another attempt at this target but had 25-30mph gusts today. Guess I 'll wait for next months match

Maverick223
March 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
I really wanted to make another attempt at this target but had 25-30mph gusts today.Dislike a good challenge? :p

Orlando
March 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
Ha, your targets are challenge enough my friend :)

KSCCHTrainer
March 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
Ha, your targets are challenge enough my friend :)
AMEN!!!! :evil:

Gregaw
March 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
Some months we could have a seperate class just for 20+ mph cross-winds! It never seems to die down some months.

Maverick223
March 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
I know where you're coming from, wind can be a heck of an issue with any of the rimfires...the mainstay in particular.

tech30528
March 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Took a shot at it last night. Not a lot of daylight left so I only got about 40 rounds downrange. Enough to know I won't be getting this done with my bulk stuff. I'm shooting with this one:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/tech30528/IMG_0834.jpg

That's kind of an old pic, not sure if that's my old target barrel or the 17" Majectic it's wearing now. Promag Archangel stock, right now it has a Barska 6x24 scope on it.

Anyway, at 50 yards I'm not hitting consistently enough to do well past 11. Cloverleafing, but not dead center. Think I've got a couple hundred Greentags left over from testing, I'll have to dig those out for the April challenge. Good stuff guys, keep 'em coming!

Texas4x4hoe
March 30, 2012, 05:28 PM
Well I had a little time to shoot today before work but my printer has died. Since the measurements were on the target I took my ruler and my compass and made one and then made some copies at the store. Pencil by the way sucks to make copies of. I had to put on some dots because at 50 with my sweet .17 I could just barely make out the faintest bit of line. Anyway it may not qualify cause I drew them myself but here they are.

Unshot
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/85b23c39.jpg

My .17hmr, Rem 597, 17gr Hornaday off sandbags.

Score:133
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/cb26191a.jpg

Score:144
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/55c61da3.jpg

And my Ithaca .22 single shot, cci stingers I think they were called. Off sandbags as well, open sights. I didn't even bother with the ones I couldn't get a 1" dot on. My eyes aren't close to good enough especially with a crappy copy of a pencil drawn target.

Score:63
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/86541fc1.jpg

Score:53
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/b4af6de2.jpg

sixgunner455
March 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Well, now. That's gettin'r dun!

KSCCHTrainer
March 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hey Tex,
I don't think anyone in this bunch is gonna fault you for making your own targets especially if your printer is broke. Besides with the price of ink these days, a ruler, pencil & compass is a heck of a lot cheaper :)

I just got back from one of the local Walmarts and found they still had some Federal bulk pack 40 grain target grade in the 325 round boxes and the price hadn't gone up yet. I grabbed a couple boxes and I ordered a couple thousand rounds of 40 grain Armscor .22LR at $37.50/1000 plus a bit of shipping so I should be set for a couple months anyway but I gotta find some more Hornady 20 grain .17HMR before the price on it goes completely out of sight. Local Cabela's wants $19.95/50. Walmart was completely out of it.

Jim

Orlando
March 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
Anyone get in on Remington surplus 22 CMP was selling? I got 5000rds of it, not match ammo but shoots darn good for $90

Texas4x4hoe
March 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah I didn't figure it would be a big deal. I think it was prob harder. I seriously could not see the outlines at all. I had nine 1", two 1/2", and two tiny orange spots. Might get out earlier tomorrow for the last day as I only had about an hour today.

Caddisflied
March 31, 2012, 01:24 AM
Nice shooting this month, everyone.

Good target choice, Maverick.
Haven't had time to go to the rifle range lately,
but most of our snow melted recently, so I can shoot on my own property again.
(I wanted to try this target in the Centerfire Match with my mauser but I haven't had time).

Best 1 of 4 targets shot with CCI Standard Velocity, 144
and the best 1 of 3 targets shot with Wolf Match Extra, 157
(I think I got those scores right?)
Marlin XT-22VR
50 yds, not much wind (1-5),
bench/bipod,
4-12 Nikon

Orlando
March 31, 2012, 08:04 AM
Darn good shooting

Caddisflied
March 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks, I lucked out and had near perfect shooting conditions that day.
Went for the small circles between small puffs of wind.
Usually when you get a day off, it's gusting 30+.
Gotta work today, so of course it's almost calm out there.

alman
March 31, 2012, 07:23 PM
Well only got to shoot this once today . 82 degrees , 10-15 mph L to R . Savage 93G / UTG bipod / sand bag / bench / CCI 40 gr . Pretty happy with the score considering its only the 4th time out with the gun , first time with the bipod & the gusty conditions .
Score 124
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q490/alman2001/100_0016.jpg
Let my son shoot this target too . He's 13 and did well .
Marlin 60 / Simmons 3-9x32 / sand bags . Same conditions as above .
102 Score .
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q490/alman2001/100_0017.jpg

Maverick223
March 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Please forgive my absence, hand drawn targets are just fine. Good shooting, everyone!

Orlando
March 31, 2012, 08:13 PM
Notice how Mav is always to busy to shoot in the Match when he has challenging targets? :)

Ha, just bustin your chops, I really liked this months target. Wish I would have had more time at the range with it

Maverick223
March 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
Notice how Mav is always to busy to shoot in the Match when he has challenging targets?Lol, I wish I had time to shoot all of em', as of late I've been doing well to make it to the range at all (and I have my own modest range). One day...

P.S.: Glad you liked the target, I think the next one is pretty decent too (it's courtesy of a friend that has a knack for finding interesting images).

RBH44
March 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread in all the time I've been coming to this site. I haven't shot Benchrest 22LR in years. I just pick up a nice little CZ 452 military trainer. I think I'll give this a go in the next match.

Maverick223
April 1, 2012, 04:25 PM
Welcome, RBH44! The new one should be up and running within the hour. I think it might be a good'un too. Hope you enjoy it.

Maverick223
April 1, 2012, 04:46 PM

tech30528
April 1, 2012, 05:06 PM
Got 280 rounds of Greentag left, looking forward to the April challenge. Bring it!

Maverick223
April 1, 2012, 05:42 PM
New match is up and running...check it out here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8074553#post8074553).

If you enjoyed reading about "March Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!