Selecting a Compensator/Muzzle Break...

PDA

barnbwt
March 1, 2012, 09:12 PM
In a few weeks I'll be ordering my first "scary" rifle, a VZ-58, which naturally comes with its own muzzle device to meet the US barrel length requirement. I would like to trick mine out some, so I will be replacing the thing on the business end of the rifle.

I see so many muzzle-break/flash hider/compensator/etc. devices out there in many shapes and sizes, do any types hold advantages over others?

I've seen:
"forked" types with long prongs extended forward of the muzzle crown (these look cool, whatever that's worth)

"Bird cage" types, a tube with holes/slots cut in the mid section but a circular tip. I believe the supplied muzzle break is of this variety.

"Miculek" (sic?) types that appear to be "bird cage" types with baffles like a suppressor

Saw-toothed "bird cage" that was probably supposed to go on the end of a shotgun, if anything :scrutiny:

And of course, bogus suppressor look-a-likes that don't appear like they should do anything but weigh down the front end (usually I see these on .22 rifles)

Is there a preferred muzzle device style, or is it all six-to-one, a half-dozen the other, and a matter of personal taste?

TCB

If you enjoyed reading about "Selecting a Compensator/Muzzle Break..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
barnbwt
March 2, 2012, 02:35 PM
No takers...?

Gtimothy
March 2, 2012, 03:02 PM
Try this site...http://vuurwapenblog.com/tag/muzzle-flash/ He also has video on youtube of the tests from three diffrent prospectives. The thing that I found interesting in the videos was the "tuning fork" ring of the prong type flash hiders. A no go for me no matter how "Cool" they look!

TurtlePhish
March 2, 2012, 08:57 PM
Watch out with the VZ58, the barrel length is 15.6" without the accessory that comes welded/soldered on the imported guns. If you change it, weld it.

Edit: Whoops, read your post a second time a little more carefully. Ignore this message! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Selecting a Compensator/Muzzle Break..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!