State to State Firearms transaction .... How does it work?

PDA

guyfromohio
March 2, 2012, 01:10 AM
Would someone walk me through a transaction? I've never done it, but I do have an FFL willing to help. I don't have PayPal, nor do I want to link up a bank account to the web.

If you enjoyed reading about "State to State Firearms transaction .... How does it work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Telekinesis
March 2, 2012, 02:15 AM
What side of the transaction are you on? Are you selling or buying? And if you are buying, is it from an individual or from an online store? Don't worry, its really a pretty easy process.

JD Armory
March 2, 2012, 03:13 AM
It's pretty easy. If buying from an online store, you want to find a local FFL to receive your firearm. That FFL will have to send a copy of their license to the store you are purchasing from in order to receive the firearm. You go through the process of ordering the gun like you would anything else online, usually pay with a credit card but I guess most sellers will take checks, but they're going to wait until it clears before they ship your gun. At some point they are going to ask you where it's getting shipped. At that point you provide the name and address of the FFL you selected. The FFL will receive the firearm, usually within a matter of days, sometime longer depending on the seller, and notify you when it comes in and they have logged it into their bound book. At that point you go in to the store, pay the transfer fee that the FFL charges, and fill out the 4473 form and get checked out by NICS. If you get approved, you go home with your gun.

If buying from an individual, you can meet up at an FFL in your state and he can log the gun into his bound book, have you fill out the 4473 form and call it in to NICS, and then transfer the gun to you. Or, depending on the type of gun, the seller can ship it directly to your FFL or have an FFL in his state ship it to your FFL.

If you're selling, then your FFL will want to get (either by fax or email) a signed copy of the receiving FFL's license. You can pick whatever form of payment the buyer is willing to do, which pretty much leaves you with some form of check since paypal doesn't do gun sales and you want to avoid attaching any financial info to the internet. After the check clears, you can have your FFL ship it to the receiving FFL and the buyer will have to go through the process I went through above.

guyfromohio
March 2, 2012, 08:47 AM
Ok. Thank you. So here's how I see it now on a private sale deal.... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Seller and I agree on price and payment method.

I call my FFL and let him know. He gives me a letter.

I send seller payment, FFL letter, and FFL address.

Seller ships to FFL.

The rest is handled like any other retail sale with my FFL.

Sound correct?

Again, I'd like to buy from from out of state sellers on this board.

Edit: Does the seller have to ship from an FFL to an FFL?

Bubbles
March 2, 2012, 09:13 AM
Seller and I agree on price and payment method.
DON'T use PayPal for this.

I call my FFL and let him know. He gives me a letter.
Most FFL's won't just hand over a copy of their license to a non-licensee. He can give you the first 3 and last 5 digits of his license number, and the seller can verify the FFL at https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Seller ships to FFL.
Only if the FFL agrees to receive a firearm from a non-FFL. Some do, some don't. It's not illegal for a non-FFL to ship a firearm to an FFL.

If you enjoyed reading about "State to State Firearms transaction .... How does it work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!