Working on a negative Brady rating.

PDA

Twiki357
March 2, 2012, 03:58 AM
It looks like Arizona is working on a negative ranking by the Brady anti's. Three states ranked zero (Arizona, Alaska, and Utah) on their 2011 rankings. Utah is straight zeros in all categories. Arizona and Alaska are both plus two for "Colleges are not forced to allow firearms on campus" and a minus two for "No Permit Required for CCW" for a net zero.

I don't know about Alaska and I doubt that Utah will pass permit-less CC in the near future. So that leaves Arizona with a bill currently in the legislature to permit campus carry for CCW permit holders. And, so far it's looking good. The primary hurdle will be a veto by the governor. She vetoed a similar bill last year, but that one was a general campus carry. The current bill limits carry to CCW permit holders only, so maybe.

I just thought I would throw this out there for anyone who might be interested.

If you enjoyed reading about "Working on a negative Brady rating." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Panzercat
March 2, 2012, 04:15 AM
If it weren't so damn hot in the valley, AZ would be the perfect state for firearms enthusiast :)

bigfatdave
March 2, 2012, 04:18 AM
AZ is looking more and more appealing for so many reasons ... their no-BS approach to weaponry is high on the list.

MasterShake
March 2, 2012, 07:01 AM
I never knew a negative score could be so good.

ApacheCoTodd
March 2, 2012, 11:22 AM
If it weren't so damn hot in the valley, AZ would be the perfect state for firearms enthusiast :)
Fear not the heat... ("but it's a dry heat") of Arizona.

We need more solid Az-type conservatives to balance out the flood of California, Minnesota and New England liberals flooding our beautiful Sonoran Paradise.

JohnM
March 2, 2012, 11:28 AM
I think the Brady crowd places us in Wyoming down pretty close to zero too. :D

JustinJ
March 2, 2012, 11:57 AM
We need more solid Az-type conservatives to balance out the flood of California, Minnesota and New England liberals flooding our beautiful Sonoran Paradise.

I just don't get it. Why is it so hard not to spout off about your politics on a board where politcal talk is supposed to be against the rules?

crracer_712
March 2, 2012, 12:16 PM
There's a lot of red states on that list. I like that! Kansas scores 4 points. I'll consider that rating to be like a golf score, lower the better.

Axel Larson
March 2, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hey Vermonter's are from New England we're not so bad, I think we have a rating of like 2.

crracer_712
March 2, 2012, 12:26 PM
They list number of people shot with guns this year, and number of people shot today. To bad they don't give the actual account of the shooting, as in self defense, home defense, gang related etc.

I mean, i understand why they don't, they wouldn't want to show that sometimes it is justified

JohnM
March 2, 2012, 12:34 PM
That Brady organization gives points for keeping records ans police inspection.
Wyoming got 4 for that, but I don't know what it is. Never heard of it around here.
Then we got a -2 when all restrictions on concealed weapons were removed last summer.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 2, 2012, 12:37 PM

Hey now, it's just Mass and Connecticut that are the bad states, the rest are good and especially New Hampshire. We are really low on the Brady Bunch's rating.

Rob G
March 2, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm proud to see that Texas is on the lower end of the score with a 4. Apparently if we can get CC on campus and do away with the law that charges parents for their children's gun crimes we can hit zero. I'd really like to get the lowest possible score of -4 but hey, baby steps right?

Manson
March 2, 2012, 02:39 PM
I like hearing about all those great low scoring states. Wonder were my home state of Florida is. No open carry but pretty 2nd amendment friendly.

mljdeckard
March 2, 2012, 02:40 PM
Utah won't mess with permitless carry anytime soon because Gov. Herbert has said he won't sign it. But we are currently working on legislation to state definitively that carrying a gun legally is not disorderly conduct, and to state even more explicitly that a person who tries to sue for injury in your home must prove that they were not engaged in criminal conduct at the time of the injury.

crracer_712
March 2, 2012, 03:54 PM
I like hearing about all those great low scoring states. Wonder were my home state of Florida is. No open carry but pretty 2nd amendment friendly.

Florida got 3 points.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/

TX1911fan
March 2, 2012, 04:08 PM
mljdeckard, you might just get me to move back to Utah.

mljdeckard
March 2, 2012, 04:09 PM
We're reforming our liquor laws too. :D

ApacheCoTodd
March 2, 2012, 04:39 PM
Hey now, it's just Mass and Connecticut that are the bad states, the rest are good and especially New Hampshire. We are really low on the Brady Bunch's rating.

""I just don't get it. Why is it so hard not to spout off about your politics on a board where politcal talk is supposed to be against the rules?""

Well... It's DIRECTLY relative to the topic at hand as we will cease to be a haven of common sense in so many areas if the folk who continue to move here from not like minded states outnumber folk who move here for the many freedoms which stand out.

We already feel the impact regularly when people of particular ideological stances feel they may have the numbers to try to turn Arizona into the very type of political environment that they had left.

With the right numbers, they can address things like our wonderfully woeful Brady Rating.

Oh, and right minded denizens of greater New England, many apologies for throwing the broad net on that one. I lived there in the Army and know of the incredible areas of freedom and liberty minded folk out your way.

JimStC
March 2, 2012, 04:43 PM
+1 ^^^^^

Manson
March 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thank you racer.

Positivity
March 2, 2012, 04:47 PM
How kind of Brady to give us a checklist of things to repeal, and even a point score to track our progress!

armoredman
March 2, 2012, 04:49 PM
Our state improved pre-emption bill passed the House Committee of the Whole, (actual acronym used, COW!), easily, Third Read next week then to the Senate, which opens up most Public Property/government areas to lawful carry, or they have to maintain armed guards and metla detectors at entrances PLUS lockable safe storage. Suppressors for hunting, no magazine limit for hunting and a few other good ones including Campus Carry and State Guard are advancing well...if they just hadn't changed the name of the State Guard to the ridiculous Arizona Special Missions Unit...stupid acronym.
We'll get the Brady negative rating if we can, as mentioned before, we could get more good gun people to counterbalance the Calirefugees who seem to want to implement the same laws that forced them to flee Cali. As of this time we outnumber them...for now.

awgrizzly
March 4, 2012, 01:06 AM
I just don't get it. Why is it so hard not to spout off about your politics on a board where politcal talk is supposed to be against the rules?
I feel your pain Justin, but it's all a matter of words. The topic of gun control laws and how they vary betwixt states is a legit topic, but it can not be easily discussed without some reference to the politics driving it. I'm a democrat, or I was until the party got upended by those I can't come to terms with. All the democrats I knew were patriotic, were at least tolerant of religion, used and enjoyed guns, and would hardly think of running others' lives. It's hard to avoid being included with the nastier element when you share the same party. So perhaps we all best understand that amongst both major parties you have elements that would tend to be anti-constitutional individual liberty types... lets call them progressives, and let's call us better types who love the constitution and individual liberty conservatives. There are good folks and total losers in both parties.

SARDiver
March 4, 2012, 01:32 AM
Ahhh...makes me proud of my home state. Campus carry is a no-brainer.

Lived in Prescott Valley for a while, too, while going to Embry-Riddle. (Greg Ct., specifically).

spyder1911
March 4, 2012, 01:44 AM
I don't understand some of their scoring criteria.

Mandatory theft reporting of all firearms: Dealers must report to law enforcement all lost and stolen firearms from their inventory.

At least one store security precaution required: State law mandates that a firearm dealer take steps to ensure his/her inventory is protected and secured. (Examples: Locked inventory, product placement requirements, employee screening, install alarm systems, etc.)

Doesn't the ATF already require reporting stolen guns and some sort of safe for a FFL?

Neverwinter
March 4, 2012, 03:36 AM
How kind of Brady to give us a checklist of things to repeal, and even a point score to track our progress!I wish more anti-liberty organizations would produce this sort of thing for states.

ExTank
March 4, 2012, 04:57 PM

Because gun control is about politics, and the only side vocally and relentlessly pushing more gun control are Democrats of the uberliberal/progressive stripe. And the loudest of those are the Brady Bunch.

Now you can make excellent examples of the things social conservatives continuously try to ban, and you can then make reasonable, rational arguments for why these things probably should NOT be banned; but odds are firearms aren't on that list.

And since THR is about firearms (owning, shooting, collecting, tweaking, and advocating for the continued right to do so), some politics are going to come into it. IMO, at worst, the political jabs are a "wrong forum" sort of infraction.

CountryUgly
March 4, 2012, 05:41 PM
Had to check the map on Brady's site and I also seen them mention on some kind of test that the AZ shooter fired 32 shots from his "assault clip" equipped Glock in less than 15 seconds without reloading and with accurate aiming. Question who makes a 31rd magazine.

Neverwinter
March 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
Identity poly-tiks. They can't help bringing it up; not doing so dilutes the tribalistic perspective even if it isn't germane to the discussion.

N003k
March 4, 2012, 09:52 PM
Everyone bringing politics into this, it isn't that simple. Many republicans would gladly pass anti-gun bills/sign them given the chance. There are also plenty of democrats that would refuse to. Just because there's more democratic politicians preaching gun control than republicans preaching it, doesn't make all democrats (Or even a majority necessarily) anti gun.

Playing partisan games only serves to divide us, and make things difficult for us. Why can't be just divide into anti-gun and pro-gun people?

parsimonious_instead
March 4, 2012, 10:02 PM
""I just don't get it. Why is it so hard not to spout off about your politics on a board where politcal talk is supposed to be against the rules?""

. I lived there in the Army and know of the incredible areas of freedom and liberty minded folk out your way.

+1 to that... what an amazing difference crossing a mere border makes.
I registered for a tactical class in Vermont in January of 2010 and had just started the process of getting a "New York State Pistol Permit"
Not knowing when it would be "approved" I asked the instructor ahead of time if I could borrow/rent one of his pistols. He readily agreed (small 'rental/cleaning' fee involved). Permit was ready, but since my "starter gun" was a GP100 and not a semiauto, I continued on with my original plan to use the instructor's pistol.
What a pleasantly surreal experience to go from having to jump through bureaucratic hoops and application fees to being trusted with the instructor's expensive 1911, and allowed to openly carry it to a local restaurant while we all took a lunch break!

DavidMS
March 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
Everyone bringing politics into this, it isn't that simple. Many republicans would gladly pass anti-gun bills/sign them given the chance. There are also plenty of democrats that would refuse to. Just because there's more democratic politicians preaching gun control than republicans preaching it, doesn't make all democrats (Or even a majority necessarily) anti gun.

I look forward to the day when there is a societal consensus that gun control is compared to other bad ideas like slavery, prohibition and believing that certain classes of people should be illiterate.

il_10
March 5, 2012, 10:40 PM
I was surprised to see Virginia so high on the list. Fortunately, we're about to lose that "1 star" rating now that the "1 gun a month" thing has been repealed. Still a 10-point state, so we've got a ways to go.

Ryanxia
March 6, 2012, 04:11 PM
It appears my state of Maine has 7 points :(
I always thought we were too strict :)

Midwest
March 6, 2012, 08:40 PM

Playing partisan games only serves to divide us, and make things difficult for us. Why can't be just divide into anti-gun and pro-gun people?
Agree...Most of our Governor's in my State (of Kentucky) have been Democrats and have signed and/or supported pro gun legislation.

StockKahr
March 7, 2012, 07:28 PM
Had to check the map on Brady's site and I also seen them mention on some kind of test that the AZ shooter fired 32 shots from his "assault clip" equipped Glock in less than 15 seconds without reloading and with accurate aiming. Question who makes a 31rd magazine.
30-Round magazine with a +1 extension? Seems silly, but possible.

MtnCreek
March 7, 2012, 07:52 PM
Glock and a +2 makes it a 33rd mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Working on a negative Brady rating." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!