Browning Semi-Auto .22 - Scope Advice

PDA

westtx28
March 2, 2012, 01:03 PM
I've been wanting a Browning SA-22 for a while and saw an old Belgium in a gun shop the other day that had a Browning scope mounted on it. The scope had a built in mount that attached to the grooves on the receiver. I came back and started doing some google research on this scope and apparently it is a Redfield rim-fire 4X that was branded for Browning. I also found that most people feel the best way to scope a take down rifle is with a barrel mount which this obviously is not. I'd like to go with the conventional wisdom and go with a different set up but the old scope with it's ring-less base went with the rifle so well I'm compelled to give up some accuracy for the beauty of the rifle. I know this is blasphemy to some but it's just the way I roll.

Any thoughts or opinions on this.

I should have taken a picture of the actual gun but found one that looks exactly the same below:

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss106/westtx28/Browning4X.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Semi-Auto .22 - Scope Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 2, 2012, 01:13 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Try it, you may like it.

Anyway, if Browning didn't think it would work fine, they wouldn't have sold that scope & mount for it.
Which is a very desirable Browning scope by the way!

I have the Browning barrel mount on mine, because it doesn't have a grooved receiver.

But I always wished that it did.

You have to take off the rear sight to use the barrel mount, and I really would rather have not.

Anyway, the only advantage is "return to zero" when the take-down feature is used.
But as long as the barrel take-up sleeve is set correctly, there is no barrel movement on the receiver when assembled, and it does return to zero when you take it apart for cleaning.

rc

DM~
March 2, 2012, 03:45 PM
They are "take down" guns, so having the scope mount on the bbl., will give you MUCH better accuracy/repeatability,

http://fototime.com/414BB6C2D4B3A3B/orig.jpg

I'd want it mounted on the bbl...

Yes, the scope is a Redfield with Browning on it...

DM

rule303
March 2, 2012, 04:01 PM
The little Browning will never be a tack driver anyhow, they are just a sweet handling, fun to shoot rifle. I have a mid 60's model with the same Browning scope, it shoots well enough for my purposes. If you must have a cantilevered mount, I would find a newer model and leave that one for a collector.

GCBurner
March 2, 2012, 11:08 PM
My receiver isn't grooved, so I got the Browning mount that replaces the rear sight on the barrel. I put on a red dot optic, and it holds its zero perfectly; the little gun is a very accurate plinker. Note that when you install the grooved tip-off scope mount on the receiver, you can't use the rear sight anyway.

rcmodel
March 3, 2012, 12:31 PM
No, but you can take the scope off and use the sights if you want too.

With the barrel mount you can't.

As for it never being a tack driver?
Well I sure never heard any 50 yard head shot squrrels complain about the accuracy.

rc

tlynch
March 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
The little Browning will never be a tack driver anyhow

My Browning is the most accurate .22 I own. Actually, probably my most accurate gun, period. I shoot it as well with iron sights as my daughter shoots her Marlin with a scope.

Regards,
Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Semi-Auto .22 - Scope Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!