Winchester model 1904 "Boy's rifle"

PDA

Oldnamvet
March 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
I received this rifle from a friend complaining that it is very inaccurate. Looking down the barrel, there is barely any hint of rifling. A thorough cleaning made no difference. Is it possible to wear out a rimfire barrel? I can also see some circular marks that seem to show someone may have tried to get rid of the rifling. The only reason I could think of for doing that would be to shoot the birdshot cartridges, making it into a very small shotgun.
Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester model 1904 "Boy's rifle"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
March 2, 2012, 08:04 PM
It's not nicely shined up lead by any chance? I've seen stories on forums such as this that talked about barrels leading up so badly that they looked like smoothbores. Perhaps start with some lead dissolver and a good bore brush?

Oldnamvet
March 2, 2012, 08:34 PM
that was my thought as well but......after I gave it a couple hundred strokes with a bore brush. Nothing came out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester model 1904 "Boy's rifle"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!