Barrel cleaning: how many licks does it take...

PDA

Squeaky Wheel
March 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
Along the lines of "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?", how many dry patches does it normally take you to get it cleaned to your satisfaction? Is your final dry patch totally white, or does it maybe have a few black/gray specks?

How did you learn to clean your rifle barrels? What's your procedure? Do you use a brush? Hoppe's No. 9 soaked patch followed by a bunch of dry patches? Do you run a final one with a light coat of gun oil?

I suppose this is another way of saying, what do the experts say about the proper way to clean the barrel. When I was growing up the only rifles we had were cheap .22 ones (and yes, we were thankful!) and I don't recall ever cleaning the barrel. So, I missed learning the correct way when I was first learning to shoot. Most of my shooting as an adolescent was hunting with a shotgun and I did always clean them very well after each use. But cleaning the inside of a shotgun barrel always seemed far easier to me than a rifle barrel.

Thank you in advance -- I appreciate your thoughts and insights!

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel cleaning: how many licks does it take..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chaser_2332
March 2, 2012, 11:59 PM
I never clean my match rifle's barrels, they like it dirty.

Steel Talon
March 3, 2012, 12:14 AM
Get you some miltec-1 and start seasoning your barrel after everycleaning.. You will be surprised just how quickly your barrel cleans up..

After every range day I finish up with a bore snake and a militec patch. While the barrel is still warm.

Demos
March 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
It really depends upon the rifle for me. I have a k98 that after shooting Yugo surplus through I can put a foaming bore cleaner in for 15 minutes, scrub it out, and then do it again to get another completely black patch. I swear I have put 50 patches through that gun and not gotten it completely clean. On the other hand, I use about 2 dry patches on my 22s to get them squeaky clean.

Samclrk
March 3, 2012, 12:47 AM
My little rifle is like a young boy .It hates to be cleaned.When I do clean it,it takes a half dozen shots to fowl it so it will shoot worth a hoot.

Orkan
March 3, 2012, 12:48 AM
My take on barrel cleaning (http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=4355)

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel cleaning: how many licks does it take..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!