law in MA on mags

PDA

David Martin
March 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
Background and Into:
I am 20 years old and live in MA and do not have a firearms permit yet, but I have an antique (1896 manufacture) Chilean Mauser. The plan is to convert my Mauser to 7.62x51 with removable magazines. I am planning on buying every part that I can without a permit, so that when I get my FID, I will be able to buy ammo for it.

I've been searching all the forums and Massachusetts laws for an answer to an odd question. I can't make heads or tails of some of the MA laws.

My question is 2 parts;
1) can one buy pre-ban magazines w/o a permit? how about high cap pre-ban mags?
2) what parts are restricted for sale to non permit holders (I know that ammo/ammo parts, and frames/receivers are illegal for me)?

If you enjoyed reading about "law in MA on mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doom
March 3, 2012, 09:28 PM
Good luck running higher pressures ammo through the gun.

Loosedhorse
March 3, 2012, 09:41 PM
Nope, not sure. But MA laws (http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121) do mention that the licensing laws and "large capacity weapon" laws do not apply to pre-1899 guns.

IANAL.

drsfmd
March 3, 2012, 09:47 PM
I can't answer your questions about Mass law, but this conversion is a bad and likely dangerous idea...

jonnyc
March 4, 2012, 01:43 PM
Keep the Mauser a Mauser, and buy something MA-compliant that gets you what you want. You have a bit of time before you're 21 to figure it out.

David Martin
March 4, 2012, 05:46 PM
You guys are right, I did my research (which I should have done before). The 95 mauser is NOT a good 7.62N rifle, they BLOW UP!!!!

I'm keeping it a mauser

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "law in MA on mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!