best bolt action 22 under $500

PDA

mainecoon
March 4, 2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, this is another one of those boring "best .... under ...." threads. Couldn't help it. I want a 22 that will shoot subsonic ammo, which rules out the Ruger 10/22 because the ammo won't cycle the bolt. Have been checking out the CZs. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "best bolt action 22 under $500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
March 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
Is it something you're gonna put a can on?

Lee D
March 4, 2012, 12:28 PM
in my experience, for the money the Savage rimfires are excellent shooters

Der Stro
March 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
Savage MkII. For $250 you get a great rifle, plus the accutrigger is drool worthy.

Elkins45
March 4, 2012, 12:35 PM
Savage MkII. For $250 you get a great rifle, plus the accutrigger is drool worthy.
I think there's probably a lot of good advice in this sentence. 22LR really requires a great trigger to shoot well.

The limiting factor on a whole lot of 22 rifles probably isn't the barrel quality: it's the amount of force needed to pull the trigger!

I do think the CZ's look sweet--and they make a lefty version too.

LongTimeGone
March 4, 2012, 12:35 PM
I vote for a CZ.
I have 2, a Trainer and a Scout. Both are tack drivers.

ROAshooter
March 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
sold my ruger 77/22 after trying out a CZ452FS...so I could buy more CZs....

almherdfan
March 4, 2012, 12:57 PM
I had a really nice savage bolt that was much better then me. My buddy has a CZ that is awesome.

chaser_2332
March 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
CZ all the way with the savage very closely behind.

sixgunner455
March 4, 2012, 01:04 PM
CZ and Savage. Get a Savage with the Accutrigger and a heavy barrel, wearing the stock you prefer (or can afford), and you have the makings of a very accurate shooter.

LTR shooter
March 4, 2012, 01:08 PM
I picked up my first CZ 10 years ago , called the 452 Special then , an amazing rifle for the price at that time - $189. Shoots with a degree of precision that completely exceeded my expectations. Ten shots at 50 yards:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/celestron4/452lapuamasterL.jpg
I think it is called a Trainer these days but the price should still be far under $500.

For a scoped 22 rifle I once again went with CZ , the American. A great rifle , not sure of the price today.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/celestron4/CZ452American.jpg

oldcelt
March 4, 2012, 01:37 PM
This is a picture of my rifle and scope also. weaver scope, 452-2e zkm. Fine rifle excellent shooter.

Kachok
March 4, 2012, 01:56 PM
I don't think there could be a better 22 then a Savage MkII, but if there was it would be a CZ.

firesky101
March 4, 2012, 01:59 PM
Just curious, Is subsonic ammo not cycling the bolt on a 10/22 normal? All my target work is done with subsonic, some even with Aguila SSS, and I have had no problems.

nosmr2
March 4, 2012, 02:07 PM
CZ 452 or 455

Orkan
March 4, 2012, 02:08 PM
Some will cycle, some won't. It hinges on bullet design more than anything. You can radius the rear of the 10/22 bolt and it will usually cycle subs very reliably.

valnar
March 4, 2012, 02:14 PM
CZ...and I'd almost say regardless of price.

DJW
March 4, 2012, 02:17 PM
The title of this thread led me to believe it was about bolt action rifles. A Ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto action. There is a difference in these 2 actions. No ammo will "cycle" a bolt action rifle. Sometimes I think there should be a required intelligence test but this is a free country so don't bother to learn or think.............just say anything that comes to mind.

CraigC
March 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
CZ and Savage both produce a very good, very accurate rimfire boltgun. I like CZ's because they are a little nicer made but Savages are a real bargain. That said, my walnut stocked CZ452FS cost me $350 used, my Savage MKII with a laminated thumbhole cost me $285 used. Both shoot about the same.

I want a 22 that will shoot subsonic ammo, which rules out the Ruger 10/22 because the ammo won't cycle the bolt.
I don't know where you get this but it is not true. In four different rifles, I have no issues with subsonic or match ammo.

No ammo will "cycle" a bolt action rifle.
No but there is ammo that won't cycle "IN" a bolt gun. Many won't cycle Shorts or Longs.

Sometimes I think there should be a required intelligence test but this is a free country so don't bother to learn or think.............just say anything that comes to mind.
While I agree in sentiment, I do not think your statement is appropriate here.

Girodin
March 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
I don't know if they can still be had, and if so what they go for anymore. However, I have an izhmash biathlon ko that I picked up for under $300 that will make ragged one hole 25 shot groups at 50 yards. Even shooting bulk federal ammo it can shoot rather impressive,given the ammo, groups at that distance.

It is free floated, pillar bedded, with a deeply recessed target crown. It is a toggle action, which I personally find to be easy to operate quickly and just plain cool. The trigger is very light and crisp as well. It is not an Anshutz trigger but I think it would compare VERY favorably to anything else you could find for $500. It is one of my favorite guns I own and definitely one of the best values. One has to spend a lot more money before they start to get much more rifle.

Girodin
March 4, 2012, 02:40 PM
The title of this thread led me to believe it was about bolt action rifles. A Ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto action. There is a difference in these 2 actions. No ammo will "cycle" a bolt action rifle. Sometimes I think there should be a required intelligence test but this is a free country so don't bother to learn or think.............just say anything that comes to mind.

He is saying he wants to shoot subsonics but has heard that the 10/22s action wont cycle with them; therefore he is looking for a bolt action and considering the CZ.

I totally agree with the intelligence test thing and not just expressing the first thing that comes to mind without at least trying to process it through a bit. I suspect we will keep hearing from you anyways though.

Orkan
March 4, 2012, 02:49 PM
I totally agree with the intelligence test thing and not just expressing the first thing that comes to mind without at least trying to process it through a bit. I suspect we will keep hearing from you anyways though. http://www.primalrights.com/forum/images/smilies/lmfao.gif

CZguy
March 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
sold my ruger 77/22 after trying out a CZ452FS...so I could buy more CZs....

That's what I did also.

There are lots of .22 rifles that would fit the OPs requirements. CZ and Savage, would be my first two choices. But I wouldn't rule out old used Remington's, Winchesters, or Marlins either.

DJW
March 4, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just don't bother to read the title of a thread and make snide remarks. Adios keyboard commando.

CraigC
March 4, 2012, 03:37 PM
Just don't bother to read the title of a thread and make snide remarks.
Yes but did you bother to read the original post???

I want a 22 that will shoot subsonic ammo, which rules out the Ruger 10/22 because the ammo won't cycle the bolt.

xfyrfiter
March 4, 2012, 04:09 PM
And cycling the action has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the rifle will fire said ammo.

richie
March 4, 2012, 04:12 PM
I have to agree with the majority, CZs are great shooting 22s, I own the Trainer and it is a tack driver.

CZguy
March 4, 2012, 04:34 PM
And cycling the action has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the rifle will fire said ammo.

Absolutely true....but it gave me the impression that he wanted a rifle that would cycle sub-sonic ammo.

By the way I have a 10/22T that cycles sub-sonic just fine.

PO2Hammer
March 4, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have the CZ 452 Scout and the 452 Lux in .22WMR. Awesome rifles for the price.

FWIW, My 10/22 will cycle subsonic ammo and is very accurate as well. All I have added to it is the Volquartsen hammer to improve the trigger pull.

CZguy
March 4, 2012, 07:33 PM
Heck, many times that's all you really have to do to get a 10/22 squirrel shooting accurate. Matches is where they can turn into a black hole for money.

12gaugeTim
March 4, 2012, 07:47 PM
CZ 452 American all the way.

303tom
March 4, 2012, 07:50 PM
Savage or CZ.................

viking499
March 4, 2012, 07:55 PM
I am going to join the CZ bandwagon. Only have 5 of them right now......:D

Mac Attack
March 4, 2012, 08:13 PM
Which Savage MKII model has a threaded barrel?

dak0ta
March 4, 2012, 08:14 PM
FV-SR

sixgunner455
March 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
TR-SR also. Anything they make that has SR.

Mr.Revolverguy
March 4, 2012, 09:23 PM
It is a tack driver and one of the best and coolest looking tacticool 22's I have ever owned. By the Savage TR and use the rest of your money to buy a scope, I have used a redfield and Hawke on mine.

BigGreenZ_71
March 4, 2012, 09:26 PM
I just recently bought a Savage MKII and am impressed with it. At 50 yards I can hit a 2" target almost every time with bulk ammo and iron sights.

giggitygiggity
March 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
CZ. You can't go wrong with CZ. Also, Savage and Marlin make accurate rifles as well. Either one of them would be great. It just depends on what your looking for. For instance, most CZ's are wood/blued whereas the Savages and Marlins offer synthetic, wood, laminate wood, blue, stainless, fluting, etc.

Claude Clay
March 4, 2012, 09:32 PM
cz 452 super brno topped with a nikon 3-9x40

im the one who puts the holes in lifesavers at 100 yards.
lots of expensive stuff at my club and this is ahead of most of them.
8 years ago LNIB it was $200. 28.25"bbl

tuj
March 6, 2012, 03:19 PM
I really like the Savage MKII but the CZ's are excellent guns also. Make sure you try a bunch of different ammo's to find what it likes best; every gun is different. If you want to spend a little more, the Kimber 82G is a fine target rifle with great accuracy; single shot.

benzy2
March 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

It sounds as if you want to shoot targets when you refer to subsonic ammo. If this is the case I'd opt for a couple ways. As has been mentioned, Both CZ and Savage make good rifles. The CZ's feel better built to me. They feel more refined. If I only could have one or if I wanted one to pass down, I'd pick a CZ over a Savage. If absolute bottom dollar mattered I'd probably buy a Savage. My CZs shoot a little better than my Savage but not a ton.

If you can find one, a "rusty" Kimber 82G that the CMP was selling should still be around $500 or so. It's one heck of a rifle. I have two, one that gets shot and one that's pretty and sits in the safe. I'm hanging on to them for a long time. They are single shots and they are heavy but mine shoots amazingly well, far better than either the CZ or Savage will do.

I've also picked up some older Remington rifles that shoot well. I've got a 513t that shoots well and is far under the $500 budget as well as a 541X that was right at the budget.

The CMP has run a few specials the last few years in which I've picked up an Anschutz and a Remington 40x, both under $500.

The deals are out there and you don't need to only pick from either Savage or CZ. To be truthful, of the sub $500 rifles I own, my CZ's and Savage have gotten moved to the back of the safe and see very little use while the others mentioned now sit at the front and are pulled out frequently.

Maxicooper
March 6, 2012, 10:46 PM
CZ 452 Ultra Lux, with Brno match sights set, and Anschutz adjustable iris. :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6778766621_dbd3c587c7_b.jpg

28.5" barrel, plus subsonic ammo, it makes less noice than spring air rifle, and acurate too. :)

CZguy
March 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
The CMP has run a few specials the last few years in which I've picked up an Anschutz and a Remington 40x, both under $500.

Wow, I wish that I had paid more attention to the CMP website.

After I had acquired a 1903 A3, M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine from them I didn't pay enough attention to their site. I'll check it more often in the future.

jsimmons
March 8, 2012, 07:50 AM
I have a CZ-452 Silhouette. Very nice rifle (scope required due to absence of iron sights).

dugasgunner
March 9, 2012, 11:34 AM
1) CZ
2) Zastava Z-5
3) a nice BRNO mod 1 or 2
4) Savage
5) Winchester Wilcat/ TOZ 78 (used)
6) 77/22
7) Some older Remingtons or Marlins
and finally a Remlin.
No T-Bolt. Cant get use that type of action.

If you enjoyed reading about "best bolt action 22 under $500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!