Is it legal to have gun in trunk and drive around?

PDA

ns66
March 4, 2012, 12:22 PM
Is it legal to have gun (can be locked, handgun or ar-15) in trunk and drive around in friendly states or national parks? just want to have some peace of mind while traveling

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal to have gun in trunk and drive around?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
March 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
It depends on the state. Some states, yes. Others, no.

Edit: Actually, if it's in the trunk, it should be legal everywhere. Of course, that depends on what kind of gun it is and whether or not you're in an "assault weapons ban" state. An AR-15 with "assault features" is a felony for mere possession in AWB states.

ThorinNNY
March 4, 2012, 12:36 PM
In New York State, it is legal to drive around with an UNLOADED rifle or shotgun in your trunk. Ooops, forgot to say, better check regs re Parks. Other states may have different restrictions.

hermannr
March 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
A lot depends on the state you are in, and if you are just traveling from place to place within your state of residence, or if you are on a trip with a destination. If you are on a trip, federal transportation law prevails. It also depends on if the weapon in the trunk is loaded or not.

Here in WA, a long gun can not be legally in a vehicle if it is loaded, under any circumstances. That is F&W rules, not gun law,

However, there are times when you can have a loaded pistol on your person, concealed or not, in your vehicle, with or without a CPL, for self defense. (RCW 9.41.060)

You need to know the law of the state you are talking about...every state law is different.

ns66
March 4, 2012, 01:21 PM
the guns unloaded, with loaded mags, in the trunk, no CCL, is this legal?

TurtlePhish
March 4, 2012, 01:22 PM
Depends on state laws. Most likely yes, but make sure.

NavyLCDR
March 4, 2012, 02:11 PM
the guns unloaded, with loaded mags, in the trunk, no CCL, is this legal?

Depends on state law!

In Ohio not legal.

ns66
March 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
for this which section should i look for in state law?

NavyLCDR
March 4, 2012, 03:25 PM

First, if you tell us what state you are talking about, we could point you to the specific statute or tell you that we couldn't find it.

Second, try here:
www.handgunlaw.us

Click on your state on the map and you will get a nice summary of your state laws.

Librarian
March 4, 2012, 03:30 PM

What state?

I believe all the states have their state codes online in some way, but what a particular state may use to describe that behavior can be variable.

In California, the term is 'transport', and there are no regulations at all about transporting long guns in a vehicle, (other than 'unloaded') and just one additional requirement for a handgun (completely enclosing locked case). There are some destination restrictions ....

What you are unlikely to find is a statement equivalent to 'you may do X'; criminal codes are predominantly 'Do Not Do'.

Ford Prefect
March 4, 2012, 03:33 PM
:barf:If you won't tell us the state...

Generally, no. It's not legal. Unless you're in Texas whee it seems to be encouraged

Most states and federal permit "transporting", from one legal location to another. Unloaded locked in the trunk from home to the range, hunt, gun store, etc. Just driving around with it in the trunk is NOT covered by "transport" laws, state or federal. It's not "transporting".

Some states do allow this, some even allow it loaded, or in Texas in plain view in the rear window aimed at the drivers head is a common sight!

jimmyraythomason
March 4, 2012, 03:40 PM
Long guns are legal(loaded or not) in a vehicle cabin or trunk in my state(Alabama) no permit required. Exceptions are in WMAs or the like or if "spot lighting" deer/rabbit at night. Handguns require a CCW permit (for now) loaded or not, in the cabin or trunk or on your person.

RevolvingGarbage
March 4, 2012, 04:08 PM
In FL we can keep long guns anywhere in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded as we please.

ns66
March 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
i am in NC, but i want to travel to other states with national parks like utah, arizona etc, that's why this is not really specific to a state

Tomcat47
March 4, 2012, 04:19 PM
Every time I see these questions or have ask them in the past regarding the subject at hand.....

It Boils My Cabbage! :fire:

I just wish there was 1 law for all 50 states or at least the contiguous 48!

Then it would in my opinion, be uniform and easier to enforce, as well to comply with.

keep wishing I suppose....... :scrutiny:

This is very informative for the reason you posted: http://www.gunlaws.com/links/

Anymore there is as much homework to be done on gun laws as there is in preparing for a vacation or hunting expedition.....

ns66
March 4, 2012, 04:31 PM
Every time I see these questions or have ask them in the past regarding the subject at hand.....

It Boils My Cabbage! :fire:

Then it would in my opinion, be uniform and easier to enforce, as well to comply with.

+1000

Girodin
March 4, 2012, 04:48 PM

Personally, I'm pretty big on states rights and federalism. The gun laws where I live are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than any federal standard that would exist. I don't want my rights being abridged by some stupid federal standard made to appease people living in an area that is vastly different from where I live. Yes there would be some efficiency to having one nation wide set of laws, however, it would not even approach being worth the trade offs.

In fact, if it were for the SCOTUS selling out with the infamous "switch in time" reinterpreting the commerce clause to mean something it never was intended to, and never had before, we would still be operating in a world where the feds wouldn't be regulating guns, or anything else, with respect to this type of thing anyways.

btg3
March 4, 2012, 04:55 PM
good resource here...

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

NavyLCDR
March 4, 2012, 05:42 PM
i am in NC, but i want to travel to other states with national parks like utah, arizona etc, that's why this is not really specific to a state

Then you will have to find out what the state laws for the state you are visiting at that moment. I am very much against a national law regarding carrying a firearm (except for an optional method of carry like FOPA offers) because it is guaranteed to be more restrictive than most states' laws currently are (just like FOPA is already more restrictive than most states' laws).

Top_Gunn
March 4, 2012, 06:02 PM
According to the Gun Free School Zones Act, it's a federal crime to have a gun with you unless it's unloaded and in a locked "container or firearms rack" when you are within 1000 feet of a school. It's not possible to drive many places without passing some sort of school (day care center, church, private school, public school, ....)

There's an exception if you have a permit to possess the gun and the state does a background check before giving you the permit. but as no state I know of issues permits to possess long guns, that's not important except for pistols.

Art Eatman
March 4, 2012, 07:12 PM
The OP can start a new thread after reviewing the sources posted above, if there are more questions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it legal to have gun in trunk and drive around?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!