removing stuck sabot/bullet?

PDA

rajb123
March 4, 2012, 08:25 PM
I have owned this gun for 20 years and have always been able to shoot any "stuck" charge out of the gun - a thompson cap gun.

I may have to pull the bullet out from the muzzle; is there a special tool for this?

If you enjoyed reading about "removing stuck sabot/bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loose noose
March 4, 2012, 08:34 PM
A screw that fits in the threaded end of a ram rod, it looks similar to a wood screw, All you do is put even pressure on the ram rod with the screw in place and turn it clock wise once the screw gets a bite on the lead pull the ramrod out as evenly as you can. Should get the hunk of lead out. ;)

ThorinNNY
March 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
Yes. it`s called a bullet puller. one end screws into your range rod or ram rod. The other end has a pointed wood screw thread to dig into the bullet. In the middle of the tool is a brass ring to prevent scoring the bore. CVA makes `em, others do also.

TheRodDoc
March 5, 2012, 01:04 AM
I don't think the screw puller will work for a pointed sabot bullet.

rajb123
March 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
Ok - thanks

The bullet inside the sabot is a hollow point, so I think I should be able to yank it out with a screw tool.

Apparently the chamber is contaminated with an anti-rust liquid spray so the powder charge won't fire - UHG.

arcticap
March 5, 2012, 12:05 PM
Shooting it out should only require trickling in a few grains of powder under the nipple. And a cotton swab can be used to dry out that small area under the nipple before trickling in the powder. If the muzzle is kept pointed downward then the liquid shouldn't contact the fresh powder, especially if it's being fired off right away afterward.
That saboted bullet may be really tight in the bore making it difficult to pull.
There's also the new RMC CO2 discharger kit that comes with adaptors and has a multitude of uses:

EC-Unloader CO2 Discharger

http://www.rmcsports.com/rmcsports_cfmfiles/newproduct.cfm

robhof
March 5, 2012, 12:25 PM
If you have a compressor and some sturdy hose (I cut an old grease gun hose)you can blow it out with that. The hose will fit snugly over the nipple and you can attach the other end to a blow nozzle with a small pipe clamp.

PapaG
March 5, 2012, 01:03 PM
take a #8 wood screw, cut off the head and thread the shank 8-32. It will screw into your range rod just like the jags do. the thread should bite well into the lead inside the h.p. Pull.
If you do decide to shoot it out....after trickling in powder, be sure to reseat the slug or it will act just like an obstruction if it has moved away from the breech.

rajb123
March 5, 2012, 03:36 PM
I live in a residential area, so I can't attempt to shoot out the load until I get to the rifle range.... perhaps next Saturday....

Will the pirodex that is in the bore now degrade in the next few days? Is it better to load black powder or pirodex under the nipple?

Thx...

ThorinNNY
March 5, 2012, 03:43 PM
Use black powder, 3 f if you have or can get it - to dribble in through the opening when the nipple is out. You don`t need a lot, all you want is to get the bullet completely out of the barrel.
I remember Flintlock shooters having to use Black Powder in their pans to set off Pyrodex main loads.

Zeke/PA
March 5, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have a tee-handled range rod that I made years ago with a threaded end that accepts a "puller" made from a #10 wood screw.
For this kind of stuck bullet chore, a wooden ramrod is next to worthless especially if the brass ramrod ends are not cross pinned.
The tee handle of course makes the job much easier.
I dont really care for the "shooting it out" idea.

rajb123
March 5, 2012, 06:24 PM
I do have a 150LBS air compressor; how would you seal the air against the nipple fitting at the breach of the gun?

I would think this would take a lot of presuure to move the charge/bullet to the muzzle.

Superdave70_02
March 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
I pulled a stubborn ball once by braising a 2" dry wall screw to an aluminum rod I found at the farm. Bent a 90 degree handle on the other end. Tape the weld with Teflon tape to protect barrel and help center rod. The drywall screw was very easy to screw into the lead ball.

Zeke/PA
March 6, 2012, 11:16 AM
I pulled a stubborn ball once by braising a 2" dry wall screw to an aluminum rod I found at the farm. Bent a 90 degree handle on the other end. Tape the weld with Teflon tape to protect barrel and help center rod. The drywall screw was very easy to screw into the lead ball.

You BRAZED a screw to an ALUMINUM rod ??

Superdave70_02
March 7, 2012, 09:58 AM
It was some sort of special purpose rod that my dad had bought at a farm and ranch show. It was kind of like an aluminum rod but kind of like a nickel rod for cast iron. He buys weird stuff to play around with when he's bored.

MCgunner
March 7, 2012, 04:25 PM
Use black powder, 3 f if you have or can get it - to dribble in through the opening when the nipple is out.

No fuss method that has worked for me several times. I don't need no stinkin' CO2 cartridges to do this, either. I do have a puller and have used it in the past to unload after a hunt when I didn't wanna shoot, but the powder stays so has to be shot out anyway. I don't use that puller, but have it here just in case.

Inlines are special. :D

Zeke/PA
March 7, 2012, 07:13 PM
It was some sort of special purpose rod that my dad had bought at a farm and ranch show. It was kind of like an aluminum rod but kind of like a nickel rod for cast iron. He buys weird stuff to play around with when he's bored.

Special Purpose rod of some kind?
It was NOT Aluminum.!!
If it was, you have created a new world of joining dis-similiar metals.
Congratulations as your talents will make you a Multi-Billionaire in short order.

alsask
March 7, 2012, 08:13 PM
Get a grease zirc that is the same thread as your nipple. Screw it in and pump it out with a gease gun.

rajb123
March 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
I shot this out with some BP under the nipple,,,,,

If you enjoyed reading about "removing stuck sabot/bullet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!