9mm 1911 mags

PDA

smalls
March 4, 2012, 08:57 PM
For those who own 9mm 1911's; what mags are you using? Where are you buying from?

I'm ordering an STI Spartan next week, and I'll need a few more mags. I'd prefer them to be 9 rounders, but most of those I keep seeing are close to $40 :eek:!

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm 1911 mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sauer Grapes
March 4, 2012, 10:22 PM
9mm mags are not as widely made as .45 acp. I bought Tripp Cobra mags. No they aren't cheap, but worth the money.
If you want cheap {ie; inexpensive}mags, buy a Glock!

gc70
March 4, 2012, 10:24 PM
I use Colt or Metalform 9-round magazines in my 9mm Colt Government Model. The blued Metalforms are $19 at Midway.

bob barker
March 4, 2012, 10:26 PM
Stay away from Wilson. I've had 2 of them and they never did feed right. The metal form mags have been great.

rbernie
March 4, 2012, 10:31 PM
Springfield/Leatham, with the integral front feed ramp, made by Metalform.

http://www.metalform.us/collections/pistol-magazines/products/9frs-794
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/MF9FR-795.htm

smalls
March 4, 2012, 11:21 PM
I just saw Mec-Gar 9 rounders on midway for 17.99. any good?

gc70
March 4, 2012, 11:34 PM
Mec-Gar magazines are generally excellent; the company is an OEM supplier to a number of gun manufactures. However, I have never tried their 9mm 1911 magazines and am unfamiliar with the type of follower they use. As rbernie noted, followers can/do make a difference in 1911 magazines.

smalls
March 4, 2012, 11:51 PM
I'm thinkin I'll buy one Mec-Gar, and one Metalform, and test 'em out.
Thanks for the advice.

Jenrick
March 5, 2012, 01:44 PM
The one Wilson I picked up for ~$40 won't feed the first round reliably, and wont feed HP's at in general. The four checkmate mags I picked up for $15 a piece run great with anything that will fit in them (okay I haven't tried wadcutters, but you never know....).

-Jenrick

smalls
March 5, 2012, 02:25 PM
So far, I haven't read much good about the Wilson Combat mags in my research. I've read mixed reviews on the checkmate mags. But, if I can find one cheap enough, I might give them a try.

johnnydollar
March 6, 2012, 12:27 AM
I use the Metalform stainless steel 9 & 10 rd mags in my 9mm Rock GI. They work well.

BullfrogKen
March 6, 2012, 12:36 AM
Metalforms all the way. I've used both the front and rear spacer systems. Both have worked excellent for me.

SundownRider
March 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
The three Mec-Gar's I purchased worked great. The two Checkmate mags that came with my RIA's work just fine, too.

AJChenMPH
March 6, 2012, 12:56 AM
Have been quite satisfied with my MecGar mag for my Taurus PT-1911 9mm so far...

smalls
March 6, 2012, 01:56 AM
Bullfrog Ken, what spacer system are you reffering to?

bannockburn
March 6, 2012, 07:20 AM
I have been using Colt mags for many years now and have never had a problem with any of them.

bikerdoc
March 6, 2012, 08:19 AM
The Kimber 9mm mags have worked flawlessly for me in my ATI and Taurus. at 19.95 each relatively inexpensive and I believe but cannot confirm they are made by mec-gar.

ApacheCoTodd
March 6, 2012, 10:29 AM
I've never had a Mecgar for any caliber fail to feed yet. Since the Colt mags are so expensive - Mecgars are the extras for my .38 Super and 9 X 23.

BullfrogKen
March 6, 2012, 12:36 PM
Bullfrog Ken, what spacer system are you reffering to?

The "front spacer" system is the one rbernie referred to in post 5.

There is also a "rear spacer" system that contains a piece of metal the length of the mag that is tac welded into the rear.

Both serve to reduce the space in the magazine, which is what you get when you take the shorter 9mm round and put it in a 38 Super magazine.

I've also used Metalform 38 Super mags with no problems other than the top right might pop out during a tac reload in an IDPA event.

smalls
March 6, 2012, 01:14 PM
Oh, alright. I think I get it now.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, this'll be my first 1911.

gc70
March 6, 2012, 01:19 PM
The link rbernie posted to http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/MF9FR-795.htm shows both spacer systems in the upper right photo. The stainless magazine has the front spacer and the blued magazine has the rear spacer.

wally
March 6, 2012, 01:53 PM
I use the Metalform from CDNN. I've got 30 of them and they work great in our RIA and Taurus 9mm 1911s. A while back they had a buy two get one free sale on them, I took advantage since my wife and I shoot mostly steel plates, having mags pre-loaded when we get to the racks beats the heck out of standing in 95+ degree heat stuffing mags.

I didn't have much luck using my 1911 .38Super mags in either 9mm pistol, works for some folks, probably depends on your choice of ammo -- we use mostly 147gr hardcast reloads. Certainly worth trying if you already have 1911 .38 Super mags as I did.

Navy Diver
March 6, 2012, 02:44 PM
+1 for CDNN. If you subscribe to their email specials, they regularly put the Metalform 1911 9MM mags on sale for $9.99 each.

smalls
March 6, 2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks! I forgot about checking CDNN.

tuj
March 6, 2012, 04:11 PM
You can't go wrong with Tripp.

TonyT
March 7, 2012, 02:57 PM
I have two Dan Wesson 1911's in 9mm - an older blued Pointman and the newer stainless PM-9. I use the Metalform magazines in either 9mm or 38 Super purchased from CDNN - great mags at a very reasonable price.

cpirtle
March 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
Stay away from Wilson.

+1 along with what everyone else said.

I had a Smith Pro Series 9mm's which was a great gun and shipped with Wilson Mag's from the factory. I also had purchased 6 additional Wilson's for it.

When I got my custom built 9mm Springfield I noticed the Wilson would only lock the slide back half of the time. Turns out the plastic follower on the Wilson was slipping past the stop on my custom. When I compared the slide stop on the Smith to the Wilson stop on my Springfield I noticed that the Smith had a larger activation nub. I didn't believe it at first so I pulled out a bunch of other 1911's and compared, sure enough it was larger.

I replaced all of my mag's with Springfield's using the loaded coupon and they have been great.

smalls
March 7, 2012, 05:11 PM
I'll have to keep checking back on CDNN. I may have missed them, but I didn't see hardly any 9mm mags.

BullfrogKen
March 7, 2012, 05:48 PM
Stay away from Wilson.

Put me down in that camp, too.

Wilson's plastic follower is plain crappy. Shoot enough rounds and you'll see it fail on you. I went to round metal followers on all my magazines after seeing the slide stop begin to score and form notches in the follower. Eventually those notches would become deep enough an empty magazine wouldn't hold the slide back as it should.

So I ditched them.

The bodies seemed fine, and I guess you could replace the plastic follower with a metal one, but with the premium on a Wilson mag . . . Metalform mags with metal followers just made a whole lot more sense, so that's all I'll buy anymore.

Walkalong
March 7, 2012, 08:12 PM
CDNN has the Metalform 9MM Officers mags right now, but I do not see the full size ones. I'll have to keep an eye out, as I need a couple, at least.

Zach S
March 11, 2012, 12:57 AM
There is also a "rear spacer" system that contains a piece of metal the length of the mag that is tac welded into the rear.
I have three of these mags, and the spacer is not welded.

Non-issue for most folks, but I number my 1911 mags by stamping the back of the tube.

smalls
March 11, 2012, 04:56 AM
Well, after looking and looking, I couldn't find anyone with metalform or mec-gar mags in stock. I found a checkmate pretty decently priced, so I ordered one. I'll let you know how it runs when it comes in. I'm still keeping my eyes open for the other two, as well.

cpirtle
March 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Midway has 3 different Metalform Mag's in stock. One is Springfield but made for them by Metalform.

Springfield/Metalform (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/567771/springfield-armory-magazine-1911-government-commander-9mm-luger-9-round-stainless-steel)

Metalform removable base (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681789/metalform-magazine-1911-government-commander-9mm-luger-9-round-stainless-steel-flat-follower-removable-base)

Metalform welded base (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/983406/metalform-magazine-1911-government-commander-9mm-luger-9-round-stainless-steel-flat-follower-welded-base)

aliveisalive
March 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
I have 5 of the metalforms and 2 of the tripps. The tripps are far more consistant, however some days all 5 of the MF work great, and some days they wont work at all...

If I could Id just sell the 5 of the MF's and get 2 more tripps. Less hassle, worth the extra cash. Plus they hold an extra round.

smalls
March 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Damnit. I must have skipped right over those. Thanks cpirtle.

foxmoor
March 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
I had the same issue when I ordered my STI Trojan in 9mm. I went with the Tripp Research 10-round 9mm magzines (link: http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html ) and haven't had a single problem with them. They're pricey but worth it, IMO.

Kent in MI

huntershooter
March 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
Tripp's 10 rd. magazines work in my 9mm 1911's.

CouchCommando
March 13, 2012, 03:23 PM
I use Mec Gar magazines in my Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm. I have not experienced any problems with mine after more that a 1,000 rounds. I also use Mec Gars' in my my 45acp Kimber. Again with excellant results. I get them here. Good price and fast service.
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=97_120

smalls
March 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
CouchCommando, I greatly appreciate that link. Great prices, and it looks like everything is in stock. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm 1911 mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!