Why did Ruger switch to making GP100 in 4.2 inch

PDA

2ndamd
March 5, 2012, 12:04 AM
Why did Ruger start to make the GP100 in a 4.2 inch barrel vs the 4 inch model they previously made?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why did Ruger switch to making GP100 in 4.2 inch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hiram2005
March 5, 2012, 12:07 AM
Probably so they can export to Canada, as only barrels longer than 4 inch can come into the country.

joneb
March 5, 2012, 12:29 AM
Probably so they can export to Canada, as only barrels longer than 4 inch can come into the country.
I'm sure things are much safer up there now :scrutiny:

Owen Sparks
March 5, 2012, 12:37 AM
Probably equals some minimum metric measurement used in Canada.

Pancake81
March 5, 2012, 12:45 AM
It's for us Canadians North of you fine folks. Our handguns require a barrel of 106mm/4.2 inches. Stupid law, trust me we know.

It's a real kicker seeing all those beautiful snubbies and 4 inch beauties you guys have. I literally drool on this site.

The 4.2 sell like hot cakes up here. The redhawks are on backorder across the country for over 18 months now, they seriously can't bring them in quick enough.

Now, if we could convince S&W to make their 4" a 4.2" we would really be happy

skidder
March 5, 2012, 01:20 AM
It's for us Canadians North of you fine folks.

You guys will fair well during the Apocalyptic zombie invasion. Not to many plastic revolvers longer than 4". Trying to hit a zombie in the forehead with a plastic snubbie is not as easy as it looks. The mass hordes of decaying carcasses will eventually migrate south where they stand a better chance.:D
I'll be waiting with my 49 oz Redhawk.:cool:

fiftybmg
March 5, 2012, 01:28 AM
IDPA rules specify maximum length of the revolver barrel to be 4.2 inches.

Maybe they targeting that market as well with the product.

DPris
March 5, 2012, 01:37 AM
Ruger says the reason is Canada.
Denis

Waywatcher
March 5, 2012, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure IDPA allows 4.2" specifically to allow GP100s to enter; and they are 4.2" to sell in Canada, like has been previously asserted.

If you think about how arbitrary "one inch" is, in reality, 4.2" is not a big deal.

go_DWI
March 5, 2012, 06:12 PM
yep, Canada. we do love them up here, they don't stick around the shops long... been looking at getting one myself but can't decide between 4.2 and 6

Confederate
March 5, 2012, 09:10 PM
I think Ruger and S&W are just trying to make the guns as clunky and difficult to carry in the wilderness as they possibly can. That way, in about a year or two, they'll be able to introduce real medium frame guns made out of polymers and dental floss. And hey, if they can make them stand up to the hot magnum rounds, I'll be standing in line for one. But not if they rip my hand off!

It's getting increasingly expensive to manufacture steel guns and gun companies are either producing .357s that are either too heavy and bulky or too light to shoot comfortably. If S&W would just produce the 686 with a tapered barrel, I think most outdoorsmen would buy them. The whole argument for the wonderful 66 was that many people carried them more than they shot them. And for years you had to know someone to get a 66 at retail price. I remember when I could get a stainless Ruger Security-Six (available everywhere) for $169!!! The 66 sold for a "retail" price of $219, and if you wanted to see one you had to either pay more than retail (I knew someone who paid $300 for one and he counted himself lucky). And he was. Every time he took it out to shoot it at the local range, he was besieged by people who treated him like a rock star! Meanwhile, all I had was my Ruger. I didn't get a shot at a 66, but I did get a 629 for retail from a friend of mine. I never did fire it, though, but I got to play with it for a couple of decades. And I had a nickel 29 that I actually miss more, and which I did shoot.

If I'd gotten a 66, I never would have sold it. They were counterbored and had beautiful wood grips and a stamped side plate. There's no doubt that much of the 66's appeal was its appeal. Now it seems as though Ruger and S&W think .357s should be relegated to the range and to competition. I have a 6-inch 686 that I love, but I wouldn't even consider taking it on a camping or hiking trip!

2ndamd
March 5, 2012, 09:39 PM
Ruger says the reason is Canada.
Denis

DPris!
Thank you.
Good to see you around here.

Any special projects in the works?
I always like reading your articles!
I still refer alot of people to your article about the differences between the Security series and the GP100.
And, the article about you project GP100 that you sent to C&S.
And even your article on the CZ P-01 was a good read :-) I know reloaders that are still having OAL issues with the P-01 in 9mm. Your article called it out about the Speer GDHP 124 grn +P loads locking it up. Great work and very helpful.

Anything new I missed?

Any thoughts, issues, concerns with the KLCR in 357 mag that you may have heard?
Sorry if I put you on the spot.
Just good to see you about.

Take care!

DPris
March 6, 2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks, 2.
Always nice to hear that somebody reads that stuff. :)

Always working on something, but no special projects at the moment.
Last one was the modified Rossi Ranch Hand that came out a couple months ago.

Lobbying Ruger for a half-lugged 4-inch .357 SP101, if it comes about I'll go to town on that one.
In the meantime, business as usual.
Not hearing of any problems with the .357 LCR, hand finally recovered from the .38 LCR 5000-round testing. :)

Take care of yourself.
Denis

mackg
March 10, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hi DPris

Where could I find your articles?

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
I wish S&W would make 5" revolvers again.

DPris
March 11, 2012, 03:26 AM
Mack,
In the gunmag section wherever such things are sold. :)
Denis

mackg
March 11, 2012, 06:12 PM
Oh... you're one of those... ;)

Thank you, I'll look for them.

DPris
March 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
Yep.
As a tired & re-tired ex-cop, it beats working for a living. :)
Denis

BCRider
March 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
As a Canadian I thank Ruger and more recently S&W for making these legal guns available to us newer shooters. The older ones that have been around for a long time were "grandfathered" for the sub 105mm guns if they owned any of them at the time of the change over in 1998. The rest of us have to rely on 4.2 inch offerings.

I thought that there was also a "California connection" to this 4.2 inch option as well. But I've been told that this isn't the case.

It's not just Ruger and S&W either. NAA did a special "Canada only" batch of both Mini Mags and Earls with 4.2 inch barrels and Cxxxx serial numbers. I've got a 4.2 inch Earl which I love to plink with. Especially when I can set it out on the bench next to my Uberti Remington 1858 cap and ball clones.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why did Ruger switch to making GP100 in 4.2 inch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!