Smith & Wesson M396 Nightguard VS 629PC snubby

PDA

old4x4
March 5, 2012, 02:31 PM
I'm gonna get one of them, but it's a tossup between the two and I'm having trouble deciding. Maybe you folks can give me a little guidance or some facts or reviews on either one of them. Primary purpose is CC, general bumming around in the woods, camping, etc...They're both on the N Frame and are the same size, dimensionally.
The M396 weighs 24 ounces..nice and light, but does NOT have adjustable sights..that's the part that gets me. I have a Taurus 455 in 44 Spec that has just the groove in the receiver and just happens to shoot very close to POI and I'm worried about an 800.00+ gun not shooting where I want it to. The rubber grips are cool, too.
The 629PC is a performance shop gun with an unfluted cylinder (very cool) and is a heavy (39 oz) stainless with a nice, little set of grips. The one I'm looking at has NO safety lock, either, and that's nice touch, too. It's just heavy, but what a nice, crisp trigger it has. It also has adjus. sights, which is nice once I settle on a load it likes.
I'm not concerned about recoil as I reload and can make the loads as hot or as mellow as I want as well as shoot 44 Spc's, which I already do.
All opinions about these two monsters are welcomed as I have some $$ burning a hole in my pocket and may go pick one up in the next few days! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson M396 Nightguard VS 629PC snubby" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sidheshooter
March 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
You sure about the N frame on the 396? my memory is that those guns are 5-shot L frames.

That aside, I like both of them in concept. Guess it depends how dedicated to this gun as a CCW (396) you are vs how much bumming around in heavy woods (PC629) you will be doing. .44 spec in the night guard might be a minor handful, since they are lighter. As you mention, .44 spec in the 629 will be candy, and since you reload, you're GTG.

Money no object, I'd like both, truth be told. That's a hard choice. I do like the no-lock PC (and they aren't making any more). On the other hand, the 396 will be a way sweeter all-day tote.

Dang. In the words of Clinton, "I feel your pain!"

2zulu1
March 5, 2012, 10:57 PM
I have the L-frame 396 NG that's only fed WFNs because it's carried in thick brush areas. The XS tritium and Cylinder & Slide rear notched sights are more than adequate for its intended purpose.

Gordon
March 5, 2012, 11:06 PM
The 396 Night Guard is VERY nice! It is just like the above post says, more than adequate for it's intended purposes. My buddy has one because he liked my 296 so much. I think I like his 396 better!

PabloJ
March 6, 2012, 12:59 AM
I would not buy either one. What is the point of buying magnum revolver with <3" barrel that does not fit into coat or pant pocket? On the other hand something with 4", 5" or 6" barrel would be nice to own.

old4x4
March 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
I went with the 629PC. It seems like a very solid gun (and it does have the lock...don't know what I saw last weekend :confused:) Can't wait to brew up a few rounds and shoot it!

PS: It does fit in my jacket pocket quite nicely.

460Kodiak
March 9, 2012, 08:46 AM
It seems like a very solid gun (and it does have the lock...don't know what I saw last weekend )

That's called matrixing. We see what we want to see. Don't worry, it happens to all of us. ;)

19-3Ben
March 9, 2012, 02:56 PM
What is the point of buying magnum revolver with <3" barrel that does not fit into coat or pant pocket?

To have a revolver that is easily concealable, and can handle .44spl self-defense loads very well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson M396 Nightguard VS 629PC snubby" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!