Waffen Werks AK-74 experiences?

PDA

Arky_Expat
March 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
Iíve not seen any threads here specifically addressing this particular AK build. I saw one example the other day locally for $600. From what Iíve read elsewhere, they seem to be a solid mid-level model. Does anyone here have any direct experience with them, positive or negative? Are they Ďgood to goí?

Iíve been pining recently for a light-recoiling semi-auto and the price of surplus 5.45x39 is attractive of course, as well as owning such an iconic design. The Arsenals are great, but Iíd tend to go for the best value so long as it is reliable and reasonably well put together. Is that the case here? I also prefer the surplus wood stock on the Waffen Werks; it looks authentic. Does anyone know to what degree the stocks are surplus, ie are they full of cosmoline?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Waffen Werks AK-74 experiences?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
March 5, 2012, 07:22 PM
They'll have been assembled in the U.S., so I can pretty much guarantee that the wood is cosmo-free.

I don't know anything specific about Waffen Werks, but FWIW, their guns look nice and I've never heard anything bad about them.

Rob G
March 6, 2012, 02:14 AM
Waffen Werks makes well built AK 74 pattern rifles. The stocks on those are fully authentic Bulgarian surplus. Basically Waffen Werks buys Bulgarian parts kits which are disassembled used military AKs with the barrel and receiver cut to pieces. They take those kits and rebuild them using an American made receiver, American made barrel, and a tapco G2 trigger, hammer, and disconnector. Everything else on the rifle except those five parts are original Bulgarian parts. The rifles are reputed to be very well made with a high level of fit an finish. I have an Arsenal myself but that's because I could afford one and I wanted a commie made barrel and reciever. If money had been a little tighter I would not have been disappointed with a Waffern Werks.

Truthfully I've been thinking of doing a "tacticool" AK 74 and might pick up a Waffern Werks AK for that purpose.

Arky_Expat
March 7, 2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess I am unsure about the US receiver and barrel, perhaps irrationally so. Do we know anything about the provenance or quality of those components?

TurtlePhish
March 7, 2012, 06:02 PM
They're fine, don't worry about them. It's not a Century.

Rob G
March 7, 2012, 06:07 PM
The recievers are Nodak Spud, which is a well respected name among AK enthusiasts. The barrels have been sourced from a number of places so I couldn't really say which one you'd get if you bought the Waffen Werks. The quality is reputed be very good on all the barrels they use though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Waffen Werks AK-74 experiences?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!