Next Kids Rifle

PDA

Jeeper
March 5, 2012, 05:57 PM
My 8.5 year old son has a 10/22 and he is pretty good with it. He is not a big kid for his age.

I want to take my son prairie doggin this summer and think he needs a little more juice to reach out and tag the little critters. So I am not sure what I should buy. I have a few thoughts. The first would be to go with a TC Contender single shot in 223. I have a ton of TC's and love them. This would allow bigger calibers once he gets older. The next thought is just a 223 or 204 in a youth rifle. I also thought about a 22 hornet rifle. Any ideas on this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Kids Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
March 5, 2012, 06:21 PM
.17HMR is awesome out to around 200 or 250 yards. Wind drift is a big problem, but, absent of wind, it's insanely accurate. There's NO recoil- you can watch your shot connect through the scope. The varmint express loads also pretty much explode on contact with the target.

Shadow 7D
March 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
Why something classic like a remington number 6 or a savage/stevens falling block .22

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Kids Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!