The truth about Taurus

PDA

premier1
March 5, 2012, 07:24 PM
Taurus has been importing handguns in this country since 1968.At one time was owned by Smith and Wesson and made on the same machining.In 1980 they purchased the Berretta factory in San Paulo and began making their firearms there. These days they are made like most all manufacturers on CNC machines. For all the gun snobs out they who believe that if their gun isn't a Glock,Kimber or Sig (of which I have acquaintances who have owned these and had to send them back because of problems)I own 3 different Taurus hand guns without a hitch. This past year I received my act 235 lethal weapons license here in Pa.I qualified first in my class scoring a 147 out of 150 with a Taurus PT145 Pro. In the class were 5 retired police officers with their Glocks one rich guy with his Sig (of course) and various others with their choice.I contend that the shooter makes the gun. Oh by the way it doesn't hurt to have served in the USMC. I welcome any responses.Semper Fi.

If you enjoyed reading about "The truth about Taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ky Larry
March 5, 2012, 07:52 PM
Glad you're happy with your Tauri. I've owned one Taurus, a PT-92. On my first range trip with it, after 3 shots the slide locked up and wouldn't move. Also, the rear sights fell off. Took it back to Bud's and traded it for a S&W Model-19. As the saying goes, YMMV. Shoot well and often.

357 Terms
March 5, 2012, 08:02 PM
For all the gun snobs out they who believe that if their gun isn't a Glock,Kimber or Sig (of which I have acquaintances who have owned these and had to send them back because of problems)

This is what i hear from pro-Taurus people all the time " no first person experience"

Let me tell you mine: I sent a pitted pt1911 barrel back to Miami and recieved one that was horribly pitted, so bad that the gun shop I bought it from took it back and gave me store credit. (the store manager said it looked like the barrel was dragged behind the boat from Brazil) Horribly inexcusable customer service.

A pt145 that the mag release would drop the mag during firing to MANY of us, and all three mags. Sent back to Miami. Came back NOT fixed, same problem.

Out the cost of shipping both times.

Never another Taurus for me.

skifast
March 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
I have owned 8 or 9 Taurus semis. I think their designs are good. Customer service and quality control are poor.

If you win the Taurus lottery and get a good gun out of the box, they work well. If not, you will need to spend some time getting to know their customer service people. When they finally fix it, you wil have a good firearm.

I am neither a Taurus hater nor lover. As far as your shooting performance, I believe in the saying "it is the Indian, not the arrow"

RickMD
March 5, 2012, 08:12 PM
My experience differs from yours. I owned one Taurus - the last I'll ever own. It was sold promptly. I'll side with the "rich guy" with the Sig Sauer.

wojownik
March 5, 2012, 08:13 PM
At one time was owned by Smith and Wesson and made on the same machining.

Um, not quite. From Taurus' own web site: "Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies."

Also, Taurus bought a factory once owned by Beretta - so made on Beretta machinery, not S&W.

... one rich guy with his Sig (of course)

Reverse snobbery doesn't help your case. Not very high road at all. I'm not rich by any stretch of the definition, and I still dig my Sigs. Never owned a Taurus. Never looked down at them either. Just not my interest area.

Glad your Taurus is working out for ya.

gearhead
March 5, 2012, 08:21 PM
My carry rotation is a PT709 Slim and a 24/7 DS Pro Compact in .45ACP. Both were bought new, both have been 100%. The 709 doesn't like Blazer aluminum case ammo (I bought a couple of boxes for the range) but that's the only thing either one of them have had any issues with in hundreds of rounds and my 709 isn't the only pistol that doesn't like the Blazer. I bought a Raging Bull revolver used through gunbroker, its lockup wasn't very good so I sent it back to Taurus without firing it. I got it back, repaired, at no cost after two weeks.

Based on my experiences I have no problem with Taurus, neither their designs nor their service.

*Edit to add*
I also own semi-autos by FN (FNP-9M, FNP-45 Tactical, FN 5.7, Hi Power), Beretta (8040 Cougar), and some milsurps in 9mm Mak, and I own revolvers by S&W and Ruger. So I do have experience with other handguns, I just find the Tauruses to work for their intended purpose.

thefamcnaj
March 5, 2012, 08:23 PM
Glad your Taurus wasn't a piece of crap. Glad it shot well to. I'll Stick to my glock, sigs, and xd's.
I'm neither rich or a snob. The slim line Taurus I owned was a complete pos.
That one gun was so bad, that ill never look at another Taurus product.

PedalBiker
March 5, 2012, 09:08 PM
I have a Taurus 85 revolver. It's a nice gun, but...
The cylinder stop was rounded and would not lock the cylinder until I stoned it square enough to hold.
The cylinder chambers are rough and so it takes a little more time to clean.
The forcing cone is quite rough and so it fouls badly, even with jacketed bullets.

I also have a Smith airweight that didn't cost much more. Dollar for Dollar I'd give the edge to the Smith.

Sauer Grapes
March 5, 2012, 09:08 PM
Reverse snobbery doesn't help your case.

I have to agree. If your trolling for an argument, can't help ya.:neener:

ApacheCoTodd
March 5, 2012, 09:27 PM
The folk who think that Taurus products are crap, based upon their experience are correct.

Those who think Taurus is at least as good as most anything else, based upon their experience are correct.

Those who have no experience have an opinion of little consequence to the above.

Those who grow bored of staring at their Farrah Fawcet posters in their parent's basement and live to generate fights on the internet are tiresome.

Jim K
March 5, 2012, 09:29 PM
Taurus designs and materials have never been in question; there have been problems with their production quality control and customer service. The QC appears to be improving, so I, for one, am willing to cut them a break until we see how things go in that direction. IF Q/C improves, customer service will take care of itself; CS is not needed if nothing goes wrong. Meantime, l suggest we stop recirculating ten and twenty year-old horror stories about Taurus and keep an eye on current products.

Jim

oneounceload
March 5, 2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
At one time was owned by Smith and Wesson and made on the same machining.
Um, not quite. From Taurus' own web site: "Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies."

Also, Taurus bought a factory once owned by Beretta - so made on Beretta machinery, not S&W.

Quote:
... one rich guy with his Sig (of course)
Reverse snobbery doesn't help your case. Not very high road at all. I'm not rich by any stretch of the definition, and I still dig my Sigs. Never owned a Taurus. Never looked down at them either. Just not my interest area.

Glad your Taurus is working out for ya.

+1, sounds like the bragging OP doesn't even know the basics, but that is typical when someone tries to justify buying cheap crap

Liberty1776
March 5, 2012, 10:15 PM
not to quibble with the OP, but - it's not the truth about Taurus. It's the truth of your luck to have a couple good ones. My PT945 worked flawlessly, always. Just not my favorite weapon. (and I'm not rich and I have a Sig) and thank you for your service...

tlmkr38
March 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
The folk who think that Taurus products are crap, based upon their experience are correct.

Those who think Taurus is at least as good as most anything else, based upon their experience are correct.

Those who have no experience have an opinion of little consequence to the above.

Those who grow bored of staring at their Farrah Fawcet posters in their parent's basement and live to generate fights on the internet are tiresome.
How can anyone get tired of looking at Farrah posters??? LOL!!!

PapaG
March 5, 2012, 10:33 PM
For what it is worth, Bangor Punta owned S&W, Taurus, Alcan, Scamper campers, Brunswick, a leather company, a plastics company, and Harley Davidson for starters. All suffered greatly during that period. The leather, ammo and plastics were such poor sellers that to get Smiths dealers had to take a certain amount of "related" stuff to get the dealer price on the guns. Example: a 29 dealer cost was about $220. Had to take $440 in "related" stuff to get it...ammo, leather, mace, shotgun shells, Smith shotguns (the horrible 916 or the 1000). A model 10 required $125 in related stuff. We sent more than a few Smiths back for repair (replacing burred screws, improperly installed sights, misalignment, and so on....all new guns. Was happy when that made in hell alliance dissolved.
Visited the Harley plant in York in 89 and they still laughed about the "modernization" that BP did which screwed production and quality up horribly.
Brazil did, I believe, nationalize the Beretta plant when they had all the Berettas they wanted.
Taurus innards were never like S&W innards...very little cross polination occurred.

jk2008
March 5, 2012, 10:41 PM
"l suggest we stop recirculating ten and twenty year-old horror stories about Taurus and keep an eye on current products."

My first-hand experience with Taurus (or "horror story"--if you want to put it that way) occurred about three years ago and with a newly purchased, current model. The story was similar to what so many others have reported: Taurus' shoddy workmanship led to me having to interact with their nasty-tempered customer service reps (who never did solve the problem).

The way I've heard some put it is that buying a Taurus is a crap shoot--you may get a good one and be happy for the rest of your days; or, you may get a lemon and spend what seems like forever trying to correct their errors while dealing with condescending CS types.

Life is too short for that, so as far as I'm concerned, Taurus isn't worth the risk and I will never own another.

wideym
March 6, 2012, 12:02 AM
At the gunshop I work at, Taurus is a popular seller. Expecially the newer models. One thing I remind customers of is the Taurus Lifetime warrenty. That's one thing they have over just about every other gunmaker. Of the hundred or so sold, new and used, since I started working there, only 5 have required factory work and the company sent prepaid postage for the pistols. One was a Judge that didn't time correctly, two were their little .22lr auto with the tilt up barrel, one Millenium, and a PT92.

johnsack2001
March 6, 2012, 12:42 AM
I personally have owned 2 Taurus Millennium Pro. 9mm Both purchased in 2006. Both were DOA and took several calls to get them to send the shipping box to me. It took over 2 weeks before they confirmed they had the pistols each time and all three times they notified me I was quite a way down in the Que and it may take some time to get them back one quote was 3 weeks. I bought the second one while the other was out for repairs. The first one had problems with the mag release being too stiff to the point of nearly having to smack it with a hammer to get the mags out. The other had an issue where the slide release would "Jump" while being fired and lock back the slide. When I got the first back they didn't even send my magazine back to me but the gun did work so I wasn't too put out. But sending in my second one proved to be quite the chore as the paper work had gotten screwed somewhere along the lines and my HG ended up in Kansas. By the time I had gotten it back she slide rail had some how gotten bent so I had to send it back yet again. I gave up after that and sold them both and I do not believe I will go back.

But as a consolation my Judge never had a problem.

460Kodiak
March 6, 2012, 09:34 AM
I don't ever read anyone degrading the design of Taurus guns, just the execution. The quality control is god aweful, and customer service is horrible from what I've read.

I'm glad you like yours, but I have first hand experience with three bad Taurus guns. I will never buy one.

It's like if Boeing designed an airplane, and then had it built by a bunch of clowns. Good design with out good QC and consistency does not make a low cost point worth it to me. It's a real shame too since Taurus makes some really nice looking guns.

Would you put the engine and parts from a Pinto into a Corvette? I wouldn't.

TXSWFAN
March 6, 2012, 10:37 AM
I've owned one Taurus. It was a .38 Ultralite. To this day, it has been the only wheelgun that I've owned that didn't go bang when I pulled the trigger. I sold it and have never looked at another Taurus product.

WinThePennant
March 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
Taurus is hit or miss, or so I hear.

I once had a Taurus .38 Special snubby, and it was a great gun. I could shoot the lights out with that thing.

Hurricane
March 6, 2012, 11:20 AM
I always saw them as an "Also ran", in that you could get a good one, you could get a bad one.

Or you could just get a Smith & Wesson/Beretta/Ruger etc.

I'd write more but I have to go start a thread on why Hi-Points deserve more credit.

PX15
March 6, 2012, 12:21 PM
FWIW:

I think you can get a good, or bad, example in any brand of firearm.

I have only only owned one Tauri', it was unacceptable, so I have never bought another.

Chances are if THAT one had been 100% I'd be a big Tauri' fan.. But, it wasn't, so I'm not.

But, if it makes you feel any better, I like my Henry HT001Y at $267.50 OTD just as well as I do my 5 Marlin 39's that cost (on the average) twice the price of the little Henry..

Go figure?

Jesse

Weevil
March 6, 2012, 12:21 PM
Had a .44 spl revolver that was decent.

Had a PT22 that was the worst jam-o-matic hunk of junk I ever owned, and two trips back to Taurus didn't change that fact.

If you love 'em great I'm happy for you.

Personally I won't waste my money taking the Taurus crapshoot.

pockets
March 6, 2012, 12:51 PM
I own a couple of Tauruses; and old Millennium 9mm and a PT22. Honestly, I've not had any negative issues with either of them. They both reliably go bang and hit as well as I hold.
That said, they don't get shot much. The Millennium is my 'workshop gun' and the PT22 was a Christmas gift one year from my wife. I have many other handguns which I simply like more to fill my shooting and CCW needs.

Nakanokalronin
March 6, 2012, 01:10 PM
I owned a PT1911 that fed 50% ball ammo and 0% HP ammo no matter what mags or ammo I tried. The thumb safety on the right side fell off and the frame dented easily. The finish was like someone applied it with a sharpie marker. Sold it a week after buying it.

Had a 85 Ultralite. Fired alright but the timing and cylinder button was as loose as it could get. Eventually sold it.

Had a PT22. This one worked pretty well to my surprise but saw no need for a .22lr the size of most .380s. Eventually sold it.

As far as Taurus and current Rossi revolvers, they seem to be pretty consistent in being poorly made. Every single one that I've handled, weather it be brand new or used, has the timing way off on the cylinder. I've seen NIB revolvers with lead shaved off on the cone from the test rounds at the factory. They obviously thought this was okay since they passed it through QC.

I've checked the timing on multiple NIB Taurus/Rossi revolvers and every notch has a different amount of play with the worst one being looser then a S&W or Ruger revolver after thousands and thousands of rounds. As far as their resolvers go, I'd take a chance with anything other brand before I'd even consider a Taurus/Rossi.

As far as their autos go, I only have experience with the PT1911 and PT22. One was a total failure and the other was okay, just not practical. If nothing else, there are plenty of legitimate reports of major issues with many Taurus autos so I tend to see that the entire brand itself is lacking quality and QC all over the map.

It has nothing to do with being a gun snob if someone talks down about Taurus poor quality, poor QC and bad customer service (unless they improved it now) I want guns that work that have a good reputation behind them. If it's about what someone can afford, there are plenty of options out there at the same price level or less, that isn't a roll of the dice. If you want to call someone who dosn't want to bother with Taurus a "gun snob" then so be it. IMO, someone who likes to buy Taurus products could be called a "gambler" from my experience with the brand.

solman
March 6, 2012, 01:56 PM
PapaG, when was Harley owned by Bangor Punta? I don't want to stray off topic but this is news to me. I know AMF had them for a while and then purchased back by Harley again in the early to mid 80's.

theicemanmpls
March 6, 2012, 02:15 PM
PapaG, when was Harley owned by Bangor Punta? I don't want to stray off topic but this is news to me. I know AMF had them for a while and then purchased back by Harley again in the early to mid 80's.
With all due respect, please let us not turn this topic into a motorbike one. Let us keep it on course. It is another Taurus bashing.

It is clear from all the comments here, and other places, that TAURUS FIREARMS HAVE PROBLEMS.

Some may work, and work very well. However I think the failure rate is way to high for a self defense tool.

As a poster quoted. Around 5 percent go back to the factory.

Would you buy bear spray that had a 5 percent failure rate?

I can not substantiate, but I think the Taurus return to factory rate is higher then 5%.

BTW, I have handled, and shot several.

BSA1
March 6, 2012, 07:16 PM
The agency I worked for brought six new S&W stainless steel revolvers in 38 Special. The first time they were fired on the range by a new rookie class one shooter missed the target completely at 7 yds. When the rangemaster checked the shooters gun the barrel was GONE! I mean completely. It had fell off. He then checked the other guns and another had a serious crack in the frame where the barrel screwed in. My recommendation was send them all back to S&W which he did.

Now based on the comments about Taurus Q.C. would the same comments about S&W also be in order? Frankly there are very few currently made S&W revolvers that I am impressed with their quality.

jfrey
March 6, 2012, 07:35 PM
Well, to date I have or have owned 6 Taurus revolvers or semi's and haven't had any problems. In fact I am looking to buy another one in the near future.

As to the snobbery guns: Owned a Kimber and it was a piece of junk. I own 2 Glocks and they are so-so, nothing special. I have shot 4 or 5 different Sig models and just don't care for them. Springfield makes a good 1911. Briley makes a fantastic 1911 and Ruger makes good revolvers.

Some folks claim it may be the luck of the draw, but being basically an unlucky person for the most part, I find that hard to believe. Every company has its problems from time to time, even Glock perfection (which it ain't).

rule303
March 6, 2012, 07:59 PM
I give Taurus credit for the wide variety of products they offer, there really is something for everyone. I think this is also the cause of some of their bad reputation, they bring so many new products to the market, there are bound to be failures. I have had good luck with several Taurus products, and a few not so good. Their "bread and butter" guns, like the Model 85, and 66 revolvers, along with the PT92 series autos enjoy a pretty good reputation, and are a viable alternative to some higher priced guns IMO. I am not a gun snob, nor would I refuse to by a gun because of it's low price point, if it had the features I wanted and was reliable.

PapaG
March 6, 2012, 08:01 PM
AMF was the parent of Skamper, Brunswick and HD so to speak.

huskybiker
March 6, 2012, 08:14 PM
I own three Taurus products, a PT945, 85UL, and a Rossi 462 (made by Taurus). I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. All three have been 100%, except with the Rossi, I did shoot the crane retention screw loose once. A little Loc-tite, and it's been fine ever since (over a thousand rounds).

bikerdoc
March 6, 2012, 08:40 PM
605 3" 357
9mm PT 1911
45 PT 1911
9mm PT 92

Totaly reliable and never had a problem.

oneounceload
March 6, 2012, 08:42 PM
With no further input by the OP, sure sounds like just another drive-by

JohnBT
March 6, 2012, 09:30 PM
"Those who grow bored of staring at their Farrah Fawcet posters in their parent's basement and live to generate fights on the internet are tiresome."

You have the whole set, right?

flaman
March 6, 2012, 09:43 PM
I hate to bash any company, but Taurus has this coming!!! My personal experiences with Taurus: I had a PT22 blow up in my son's hand and I had a 38 spec. lock up solid.

I also witnessed the accuracy of the Judge- 8 yards, 5 shots of 00 buck, and it never hit the armadillo.

I would NEVER consider buying a Taurus

TennJed
March 7, 2012, 01:32 AM
You know the old saying "any publicity is good publicity" must have some merit. Taurus rivals Ruger and S&W in number of threads on message boards. With Ruger and S&W you have mainly "fanboys" and people that are indifferent.

Taurus seems to have lots of "fanboys" and "bashers". I have read these threads over the years and the funny thing is I think it has led to me buying 2 Taurus. reading through the threads I hear about various models and become interested.

Their price point make it seem like a reasonable chance to take, so I have bought 2 Taurus in the last couple of months.

I hear about their guns on these love/hate threads, see them in the store and the price is good. Free advertising and "any publicity is good publicity"

BTW My 2 (TCP [$199] and Judge PD [$379]) have run flawlessly for a few hundred rounds each

TimboKhan
March 7, 2012, 02:23 AM
I have a Taurus 605 that has been my carry pistol or truck pistol for probably 7 or 8 years. I would not trade it off for the world. It has been reliable and trouble free, and it has had a fair amount of lead go down the pipe. Certainly enough that it has earned my absolute trust.

I have had other Taurus guns as well, and you know what? Every one of them has been fine. I have owned two PT92's (and wish I had never sold the one), a Judge, a PT1911 (sold it back when I was unemployed), and a 9mm from them. Not a problem that wasn't ammo or magazine related among them (and the magazine was in the 1911).

Some people have had bad experiences. I have not. I fully intend to buy a .17hmr revolver from them, in fact. I used to argue long and hard against the bashers, but time and experience have taught me that it's pointless to argue anything on the intertoobz, let alone argue for Taurus.

bikerdoc
March 7, 2012, 08:21 AM
Timbo said;
Some people have had bad experiences. I have not. I fully intend to buy a .17hmr revolver from them, in fact. I used to argue long and hard against the bashers, but time and experience have taught me that it's pointless to argue anything on the intertoobz, let alone argue for Taurus.

I agree

jackpinesavages
March 7, 2012, 08:33 AM
...and at one time Harley Davidson was owned by a bowling ball Corp..

Buddy of mine has a Taurus somethin or other, which I keep referring mistakenly to as " his Kimber". Drives him nuts and makes me smile to myself.

If it turns your crank good for it/you.

As for us Glock/SIG/STI/PARA/S&W fanbois? We generally will smoke the Taurus shooter from the prone position, while doing push-ups. :evil:

Lawdawg45
March 7, 2012, 08:52 AM
My experience differs from yours. I owned one Taurus - the last I'll ever own. It was sold promptly. I'll side with the "rich guy" with the Sig Sauer.
+100!

PabloJ
March 7, 2012, 09:09 AM
I have never owned or shot Taurus gun but always thought rich guys owned expensive custom 1911s and carried them in crocodile leather holsters.

JohnBT
March 7, 2012, 09:26 AM
Rich guys hire armed security details. They don't need to carry a gun. :)

bassdogs
March 7, 2012, 09:43 AM
If you can't hit a dillo at short range with a full run of 00 with a Judge, don't blame the gun, it did its job~ You didn't do yours!!

dogtown tom
March 7, 2012, 11:23 AM
Taurus markets guns to a particular niche in the gun community. The price point is attractive to those who either cannot afford a S&W, Ruger or Beretta or just dont know there is a corresponding difference in quality. Yes, I'm aware that S&W, Beretta, Ruger, Glock, etc also have problems.....but their problems are quickly corrected by those companies and they are FAR less likely to develop problems than any Taurus gun.

They are less expensive for a reason....typically not as well finished, reliable or durable as a Beretta, S&W or other more expensive handgun.
For those who do not fire 1,000 rounds in a lifetime through a gun.... a Taurus may work out fine. For those who run a 1,000 rounds a month.....its doubtful they would ever consider a Taurus. I have yet to have a customer complain about a Hi Point....one of the ugliest handguns in existence. Hi Points are cheap, but they work well for those who put them in a nightstand drawer and never shoot them:rolleyes:.

Everyone gets Internet buttrash when someone on a gun forum speaks ill of a gun YOU own. While YOUR particular (insert brand here) may function just fine for you, those who use guns hard will have a different experience.

Taurus copies the designs of other gun manufacturers and sells them for less....to do this means they have to make some shortcuts. If you are happy with your Taurus, more power to you.

easyg
March 7, 2012, 11:41 AM
Taurus copies the designs of other gun manufacturers and sells them for less....to do this means they have to make some shortcuts.
Not necessarily...

The main reason they cost less is because they are made in Brazil which has a lower economy than the U.S. or Austria or Switzerland or Germany.
Brazil equals cheap labor, but not necessarily lesser craftsmanship.

I had a Taurus 905 and it was every bit as well made as my S&W 637....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5676.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6334.jpg

Lawdawg45
March 7, 2012, 02:20 PM
Taurus has been importing handguns in this country since 1968.At one time was owned by Smith and Wesson and made on the same machining.In 1980 they purchased the Berretta factory in San Paulo and began making their firearms there. These days they are made like most all manufacturers on CNC machines. For all the gun snobs out they who believe that if their gun isn't a Glock,Kimber or Sig (of which I have acquaintances who have owned these and had to send them back because of problems)I own 3 different Taurus hand guns without a hitch. This past year I received my act 235 lethal weapons license here in Pa.I qualified first in my class scoring a 147 out of 150 with a Taurus PT145 Pro. In the class were 5 retired police officers with their Glocks one rich guy with his Sig (of course) and various others with their choice.I contend that the shooter makes the gun. Oh by the way it doesn't hurt to have served in the USMC. I welcome any responses.Semper Fi.

The truth is that you are one lucky/blessed individual since you've had success with a Taurus. The fact is they are sub-par on quality from the factory, and their customer service is on level with the Iranian Embassy. Count yourself lucky but don't believe for a minute that your situation is common.;)

LD

Jim NE
March 7, 2012, 03:45 PM
My PT-22 had terrible jamming when it was new, and light strikes.

I'd heard such bad things about their CS, however, I thought "maybe I'll just see if I can shoot my way out of these issues."

And that's what happened. Took about 500 rounds, but since it was .22lr ammo it wasn't all that expensive of a process. Had it been .40 cal.,well....

Doesn't jam much anymore, and since it's DAO, if I get the occasional light strike, I just pull the trigger again and the round will always go off.

The gun gets a grade of "C+" or "B-". I neither love or hate Taurus. This particular gun, however, is fun to shoot and I don't plan on getting rid of it.

Rock185
March 7, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have owned quite a few other brands in the last 45 years or so, but never a Taurus, so I can't bash them. I was acquainted with the owner of a high volume gun shop in a large metro area. He carried a wide range of guns at competitive prices, yes, a lot of Colts, SIGs, Glocks, S&Ws, Kimbers, Springfields, HKs, etc, etc. He shared with me one time that he did not carry Taurus, because it seemed like every one he sold came back with some problem. Now I don't know, but he moved a lot of guns and obviously liked to make money with whatever would sell, but would not carry Taurus. I figure he was more knowledgeable about Taurus quality/problems/customer service,etc. than I could ever be.

By the way, I did not know, and am suprised to learn, that S&W ever owned Taurus...

wojownik
March 7, 2012, 05:02 PM
By the way, I did not know, and am suprised to learn, that S&W ever owned Taurus...

No, no, no, S&W never owned Taurus, nor did they exchange manufacturing technologies, or even co-mingle personnel so far that I have heard.

Both were owned - at one point in time - by the same holding company (Bangor Punta, from 1965 to 1984). In 1965, Bangor bought S&W, then in 1970 they took a majority stake Taurus. S&W and Taurus remained completely distinct and separate entities, coincidentally owned by the same investors. In 1984, Bangor went belly up, and the two gun companies continued to go different directions.

That holding company owned a whole lot of other businesses as well, which they did not manage overly-well at the time:

General Ordinance
Lake Erie Chemicals
Stephenson (the Breathalyzer guys)
Piper aircraft
Duo Marine
O'Day Sailboats
Starcraft
and a whole bunch of unrelated stuff

Luftgewehr
March 7, 2012, 05:48 PM
I've owned a number of Taurus products and fortunately never had to send one back for any type of service. From what I've heard about their customer service I hope I never do! In general I've found them to be pretty well made, reliable, and decently priced. On the other hand, I've had to return a number of guns to S&W, Kahr, Ruger, & Sig for various reasons ..usually relating to quality control ..or lack thereof. My chief complaint with Taurus is the difficulty of obtaining various accessories, such as magazines for certain newer models, and those little "Stellar clips" used in some of their revolvers, such as my little model 905 9mm snubby. Even calls to Taurus have confirmed that some extra magazines are simply not available yet, only the ones that ship with the pistols. In fact I sold an otherwise decent Taurus pistol for that very reason. I like having several magazines for each pistol in order to rotate them periodically, as well as having an extra one to carry, should any situation ever call for a reload. Without extra magazines readily available, I consider a pistol to be undesirable for CCW. As far as overall Taurus quality, I'll just say that I've seen some that were better built than others. Generally there's a lot more play in the cylinders of some of their revolvers than I like ..yet a couple I have show little to no play at all. Their discontinued Gaucho single action revolvers have cylinders that lock up so tight it's almost as if they were cast in place. Also, I'd like to know why Taurus chose to put an adjustable rear sight on their polymer framed "Public Defender" yet not on the "Raging Judge" .454 Casull, where they'd actually be of some use(?). -LG

Sauer Grapes
March 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
With no further input by the OP, sure sounds like just another drive-by
I agree with you oneounce. I think the pot is well stirred.

Doug S
March 7, 2012, 07:46 PM
I can't get over how sensitive Taurus handgun owners seem to be these days (multiple threads running here and on TFL on how mean and dishonest people are in talking about Taurus). If they work for you, great. Have at it.

Honestly, it matters little to me if someone likes my Glock, Ruger, Smith, or any other firearm for that matter. If they want to report a problem on one, fine. Again, it makes no difference to me, because I use what works for me without worrying about if other people like it.

For the record, I've owned 7 Taurus handguns. 4 of which had problems requiring at least one trip back to the factory. One worked okay, but had regular light strikes that I tolerated. Two worked perfectly. I no longer buy Taurus.

The Real Wyatt
March 7, 2012, 09:58 PM
Dayum I'm Lucky!
I've got eight Taurus handguns and they all perform flawlessly.
Don't have any of their rifles though, so I can't comment about that.

The Taurus handguns I own are just as good as any other guns I own. I can't speak to their longevity 'cause I can only afford to shoot 5,000 rounds (excluding .22s) per month. None of my guns will ever have 2,000,000 rounds through them.

I can say, though, that my Taurus guns with 65,000 - 110,000 rounds thru them are no worse off than my Smith and Wesson guns with the same amount of use.

In my not so humble opion if there is a winner in the round count competition, it'd be Ruger. My Ruger guns with the same amount of use seem to suffer less than the Taurus or Smith & Wesson guns.

I don't pussy-foot around ... I SHOOT my guns. My Taurus guns are just as good as almost any of my other guns.

johnsack2001
March 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
I have to fess up about something I knocked Taurus a few posts back and I am indeed sorry I may have offended any die hard Taurus owners.

But I have to point out one major thing a GOOD Gun must go bang every time the trigger is pulled. My Hi-point has done that for me and is still going strong despite several 10s of thousands of rounds. I have had only a couple of hiccups that required calling CS. But even then I got what I needed without having to jump through hoops or wait an intolerable amount of time. And they sent the parts I needed FREE and I got 2 extra mags just for the fact I had to call them at all.

The only CS worse than Taurus I have had the Displeasure of dealing with was Jimmenez AkA Jennings. :barf:

orionengnr
March 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
At one time was owned by Smith and Wesson and made on the same machining.In 1980 they purchased the Berretta factory in San Paulo and began making their firearms there.
Patently untrue.
Having owned Rossi, Taurus and S&W, I know of what I speak.

doggy1953
March 7, 2012, 11:57 PM
Got a taurus 38 special model850 CIA, hammerless. Great concelled pistol. I keep 5 rounds 158 gr JHP in the sucker. Shoots great, under 25 feet. :)

Tomcat47
March 8, 2012, 12:02 AM
I've owned one Taurus. It was a .38 Ultralite. To this day, it has been the only wheelgun that I've owned that didn't go bang when I pulled the trigger. I sold it and have never looked at another Taurus product.

:scrutiny:..........You have to load it! ....ya know!....:eek:

Onmilo
March 8, 2012, 09:05 AM
So you say you have to be rich to own and shoot a Sig, 'cause I own and shoot two and am not rich.:(

The_Armed_Therapist
March 8, 2012, 09:18 AM
I've owned two Taurus firearms. The first was their model 445 .44spl revolver. I carried it almost every day for 2-3 years. I didn't even clean guns back then; no problems. I sold it to finance a Glock. While I don't regret it, I definitely wish I had it back sometimes! Very faithful.

My second purchas was a 24/7 Pro Long Slide in 9mm. I've had about a dozen failure to feeds (out of about 200 rounds), but all from one magazine. Next time I hit the range, I'll put about 100 through the allegedly "good" mag and then try the allegedly "bad" mag and see what happens. This has not soured me, at least not yet. The jury is still out, I suppose. However, this wouldn't necessarily speak ill of Taurus, in my opinion. It happens. Father-in-law broke down and bought his first Glock recently (I'm a HUGE Glock fan) and it had some serious issues for a while with FTFs, FTEs, etc. It happens.

mnhntr
March 8, 2012, 09:55 AM
In the gun shop I worked at, Taurus was the #1 gun returned for repair or warranty work. Also Taurus was the most complained about by those customers that brought them back due to poor customer service. So you are right they are #1 at something. I own one a model 92 rifle, however I would never own a Taurus handgun. I have a good frined that swears by his 740P. To each his or her own I guess.

Tim37
March 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
i own a .357 snubby its older than dirt i baught it used and my dad carried it for years. its never give a bit of problems. just my experience. i have had good luck with my S&W autos and there are guys on here that wont own one.

TimboKhan
March 9, 2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
At one time was owned by Smith and Wesson and made on the same machining.In 1980 they purchased the Berretta factory in San Paulo and began making their firearms there.

Patently untrue.
Having owned Rossi, Taurus and S&W, I know of what I speak.

I don't know about the Smith and Wesson thing, nor do I care, but the Beretta part is common knowledge and is absolutely true. Also, I don't know that owning a particular brand of gun makes you know anything about anything.

lathedog
March 9, 2012, 10:38 AM
I logged into THR just now, thinking, "Oh I hope there is another new thread about Taurus handguns...."

jackpinesavages
March 9, 2012, 12:27 PM
I heard Taurus moved production to China to be closer to their Motherland where there is no EPA, as their production process is similar to 15th Century smelters? (Not talking little fishies here.)

trex1310
March 9, 2012, 10:04 PM
One of the Taurus fans implied in an earlier post that the Taurus
problems were in the past and that we should only be discussing
current production guns. I find that to be somewhat amusing since
I was in my local gunshop today and noticed that there were no
Tauri in the display case. The owner explained that Taurus was,
without exception, the most problematic brand by far. The time
and expense involved with carrying the Taurus brand simply was
not cost effective, so Taurus is no longer sold. Apparently, the
problems at Taurus are not just in the past.

I have to marvel at the wisdom of someone who would carry a
Taurus when one's very life may have to depend upon it. I wonder
which model Taurus the OP trained with while in the USMC. ;)

TimboKhan
March 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
I have to marvel at the wisdom of someone who would carry a
Taurus when one's very life may have to depend upon it.

Sigh.... If you don't like them, don't buy them. It ridiculous to say what you said based upon your gunstore owners opinion. As I mentioned, my Taurus 605 has been shot frequently for over 7 years now, and it was my concealed carry gun for a good part of that time, and in fact, it still is on a semi-regular basis. Never once has it failed to function, and it looks and works as good as the day I bought it. I am not supposed to trust my life to it, even after it has proven time and time again to be a totally reliable handgun? At what point do I trust it? 20 years from now? Never? Should I go back in time and choose not to buy it?

My point here isn't so much a defense of Taurus, as it is a defense of common sense. Maybe I have gotten lucky and somehow avoided this horrible companies crappy products (5 different times), but even if that is the case, why wouldn't I trust my life to it? Clearly I am one of the chosen few who got a servicable, reliable gun that has been proven to be so many times over, so why wouldn't I?

Frankly, your statement is as nonsensical as the guys with $2500 pistols that say things like "How much is your families life worth". Answer: Depending on my geographic location, It is worth the $500 or so bucks I paid for my Glock, the $350 or so I paid for my 870 or the $300 or so I paid for my 605. Even maybe the $100 bucks I paid for any one of my Mosin Nagants. I actually do own an expensive handgun that I bought just last night (a Sig 1911 Scorpion), and you know what? While my expectations are high, with zero rounds downrange with it, I trust it far, far less than I trust my 605 right now. Not only that, but I can truthfully say that I will continue to trust it less than my 605 until at least 500 rounds are down it. I can also truthfully say that I will never trust it more than my 605.

So, remain baffled at people like me if you wish, but the cold hard truth that this weird little band of Spartacus-like Taurus haters will refuse to acknowledge under threat of death is this: not every gun that rolls off the Taurus line is a piece of junk. Statistically speaking, I am guessing it would be a totally accurate and non-biased thing to say that most guns that roll off the line are fine. I am certainly not denying that some are. No question about that. But to imply (or, as in your case, straight out say) that you risk life and limb choosing to defend yourself with one is just dumb.

Sauer Grapes
March 10, 2012, 01:42 PM
Well said Timbo! You just articulated my very thoughts.
I've been carrying my PT709 for a couple years now. At any price, I don't know how much more I can ask of an EDC weapon. Rock solid reliable, accurate, compact, thin, and eats any ammo I put thru it.
My life is worth more than any firearm I could possibly purchase.

The internet is full of guys favoring one gun over another. Some guys rave about some gun I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for. My feeling is, if that's your weapon of choice, far be it from me to doubt your judgement.
I've been fortunate, all my choices related to firearms have been good ones.

That's the nice thing about the good ole U.S.A., we all have choices.

tomrkba
March 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
Great! You like Taurus!

How are the internals of the gun finished?

TimboKhan
March 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
How are the internals of the gun finished?

Mine are fine. They aren't rough or anything like that, but again, your missing the point. If The gun has proven reliable over time, what possible difference does it make how the internals are finished? I know what your getting at, which is that gun company X has a far better level of fit and finish, and I will certainly be happy to concede that may be true, but at the end of the day what I want is a gun that works, and internals be damned. If polished internals were truly the measure of quality and reliability, we would all be shooting Ed Brown pistols and making fun of the Smith and Wesson wankers.

Sauer Grapes
March 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
I never said I like or dislike Taurus. I do however like my 709. Barrel lock up is solid, trigger pull is quite good and the slide is tight. Ramp is well polished, sear and striker are smooth.
If your asking about tool marks, there are some tooling marks in the slide. Where it counts though, everything is smooth and well fit. The gun has about 2000 rounds through it.
Is it the best darn gun ever made? No, but it does what it's supposed to do, shoot straight and do it everytime.

I just bought a S&W M&P40 pro series. It has some tool marks inside and I had to do a trigger job on it today just to make it as nice as my 709. Go figure....:scrutiny:

ritepath
March 10, 2012, 09:06 PM
I love my PT145 I can shoot it great, it feels good and I like the heni sights. Only problem is with the 3 magazines I have (2 from the factory and one 12rnd 24/70) none of the 3 will feed more than 4 or 5 rounds of fmj without jamming.

I bought it second hand from a guy that had shot it 11 times...at first it only jammed HP's but over the period of a year both factory mags started jamming, I bought the 24/7 mag and it gives me the same issue....nose diving right into the front of the magazine. Man the 24/7 mag feels great.

I hate to invest in more mags, and I hate to send it off. I tried a mod someone recommended on one of the mags but haven't had time to test it yet. I bid on two last night but lost the auction because I was only willing to bid 10 bucks on both of them.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/ritepath/k-12.jpg

jackpinesavages
March 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
...and right out back behind the Taurus factories in China, you know what they do? They kill kittens and puppies!! Not for lunch, but for fun!?!? :evil:

MCgunner
March 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
+1, sounds like the bragging OP doesn't even know the basics, but that is typical when someone tries to justify buying cheap crap

That statement must mean you're one of the ones Obama says isn't paying his fair share. :rolleyes:

Okay, fine, you guys think my Taurus revolvers are crap not worthy of a Hi Point owner, I get it. But, I like 'em anyway and, don't worry, I ain't givin' 'em away to ya.

Tomcat47
March 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
+10 Timbokahn.......:cool:

It is been evident in the firearm world.....like other male ego envies.....If it didnt cost a $1000 bucks it is no good!

Like someone who possibly paid $1200.00 for a Kimber that will not function properly through one magazine.....:uhoh:

(Not Dissing Kimber either mind you...merely making a point!)

I actually have a Kimber Eclipse on my want list! :D

A point about mechanical devices.....Trust my life or my families life to them???

Not exactly! Trust my ability to protect them if a mechanical device fails to function? I certainly hope so....with whatever it takes.

But mechanical items fail or have a potential to fail...autoloader, revolver...no matter which one or which brand....one might trust there firearm that has had 5k rounds down the tube more than the new one they just took out of box....but i say they are both one round from not working!

ObsidianOne
March 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
I owned a Taurus PT-145 and didn't have any problems, with the exception of Remington hollowpoints not feeding correctly.

Would I buy them again? Probably not, unless I want a cheap .357 or .38 Special. I prefer my firearms made in the US and I'm not a big fan of 'copycat' manufacturers.

trex1310
March 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Sigh.... If you don't like them, don't buy them.

I don't.

It ridiculous to say what you said based upon your gunstore owners opinion.

I didn't base an opinion on any one source.

But to imply (or, as in your case, straight out say) that you risk life and limb choosing to defend yourself with one is just dumb.

I may be dumb, but I'm sure not alone. Even dummies are entitled to an
opinion. You carry what you wish. If that's a Taurus, it's ok with me.

pockets
March 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
and right out back behind the Taurus factories in China, you know what they do? They kill kittens and puppies!! Not for lunch, but for fun!?!
I was wondering when the truth about those kittens and puppies would surface. ;)

weregunner
March 14, 2012, 03:29 AM
Want to go there. Okay.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-armed-news/60557-taurus-international-mfg-inc-factory-tour.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-complaints/1792-taurus-accomplishments.html
This goes with the above link.

THE BEACON AWARDS
The Beacon Council
International Commerce Award
Taurus International MFG, Inc.

7th Annual Irlene Mandrell
Gold Sponsor
Celebrity Shoot
Taurus International

Golden Bullseye HandGUN of the Year
American Rifleman is proud to name the Taurus Judge as its 2008 Golden Bullseye Handgun of the Year

Golden Bullseye Award, NRA
American Rifleman
Handgun of the Year
Taurus Judge

Manufacturer of the Year
Finalist
Taurus International Mfg., Inc.
Presented by SFMA
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/faqs/
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-1911s-show-us-your-taurus-pt1911s.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700s/31959-700-series-picture-thread.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/28745-show-us-your-24-7-a.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/38254-milennium-pro-picture-thread.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/6195-post-your-other-taurus-pistols.html
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/4695-show-us-your-taurus-revolvers.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/15648-revolver-buyers-checklist.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/judge/52418-show-us-your-judge.html

Since negative claims were made that are bogus I brought the mountain to Mohammad rather than him go to the mountain.

jackpinesavages
March 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
You brought the "Mountain", a pile of Taurus website references?

Oh my. Good times.

weregunner
March 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
You don't want the over several thousand pages of links that can be brought by the majority of Taurus owners.:)

Lightsped
March 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
I currently have a Titanium Model 85 in 38 special, a steel Model 85 in 38 special, a Model 980 in .22lr, a Raging Bull in 454 Casull, and a PT-145 in 45ACP.

All of these have been fine. I am neither Pro-Taurus or Anti-Taurus. I have guns from H&K, Sig, Glock, Kimber, Ruger, S&W, CZ, Colt, etc.... I have no brand loyalties. I like them all.

weregunner
March 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
One of the things that too many people forget is that many of us own other products as well.

jackpinesavages
March 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
You don't want the over several thousand pages of links that can be brought by the majority of Taurus owners.

Are they ALL from the Taurus specific websites? :neener:

Where are the Tauruses built? Homeland manufacturer?

BLB68
March 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
The fact is, Taurus has somewhat spotty quality control, and it seems to also vary based on what line of products you're looking at. If they had better customer service, this wouldn't be a huge issue for me. Pretty much every manufacturer lets some guns go with problems.

I've looked at a few models lately, but until I start hearing their customer service coming up to a more acceptable level, I'm staying away.

For the record, I've owned two Taurus revolvers. One good, one bad. (The bad one was a stainless 605.)

MCgunner
March 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
Spotty QC?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/smith-wesson_dark.htm

Tempest 455
March 15, 2012, 06:44 PM
My Taurus story.

First off, I feel any company is capable of making a POS. I have multiple Beretta's, S&W, Ruger etc. I bought my Taurus 2 years ago because I wanted a .22 wheel gun for my son and did not want to spend as much on a .22 as a 357 on a S&W. Got a stainless model and appeared well built.

Shot it for the 1st time and the POI was all over the place! Looked at the cylinder, called the gun dealer and asked how many rounds the .22L had vs. the 22 mag. Long story short, they put a magnum cylinder on my gun. So that part did not impress me. However, what did was the follow up.

Spent 5 min on the phone with a customer service rep, explained the situation and they E-mailed me labels and instructions to drop off at a Fed Ex store. Within a few business days, I had the repaired gun back in my hands. Initial QC/QA was somewhat lacking, it never should have got out the door in that condition. That being said, they sure made it right and much quicker than my expectations.

The repaired gun is hands down as accurate as my Ruger and that's good company.

BLB68
March 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Spotty QC?

Did I stutter?

mnhntr
March 16, 2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCgunner
Spotty QC?

Did I stutter?
Funny you could say the exact same for Taurus as he says about S&W.

jackpinesavages
March 16, 2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I've read that before, and it still makes me shake my head.

It makes me shake my head as I have had nothing but the BEST experience with S&W Customer Service, with pistols that I was not even the original purchaser of when new: talked with folks on the phone, gave them serial #s on the pistols and they sent me shipping labels.

All I had to do was box them up and drive to a UPS Depot. The pistols I received back from CS not only had the updates done to them, but they'd gone through them and done replacements on everything else for R&R. Absolutely incredible. Relatively free. (Handling and drive time.)

(I've never owned a Taurus or heard a bad story about one.)

I did order a new S&W wheel gun recently, though.

GCBurner
March 16, 2012, 10:12 AM
I can't say anything about current Taurus production, my PT-99 is an older, first-generation pistol made just after Beretta turned over the keys to the Brazillians. It has the frame-mounted ambi safety, no decocker, a flawless shiny deep-blued finish, and gorgeous Brazillian rosewood grips. The only problem I ever had was when trying to use some aftermarket 10-round USA Magazines mags that I bought at a gun show during the "high-capacity" mag ban. With regular 15-round Taurus or the new Mec-Gar Italian-made magazines, it functions flawlessly, and feeds everything I've tried from 115gr. to 147gr. with no problems.

Jaymo
March 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
It amazes me that people are so happy to bend over for Smith & Wesson after the way they screwed gun owners under Clinton.
Smith & Wesson has been sitting on their laurels since WW2.

If I'm going to pay Smith & Wesson prices, the gun had better have a better trigger than a Rossi, not worse.

I've changed my mind, I'm going to sell my Tauri and buy some Glocks. After all, everyone likes them. Why would I want to stick with guns that have served me well for the past 21 years?

thefamcnaj
March 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
One thing I remind customers of is the Taurus Lifetime warrenty. That's one thing they have over just about every other gunmaker.
Most quality gunmakers are going to stand behind their product as long as its not abused in some sort of silly way ie torture testing. SA has a life time warrenty. Ruger will stand behind any of its products for ever. Glock has a 1 year warrenty card sent with each fire arm but they will stand behind there products forever. CZ normally is a no questions asked, we will fix your problem company as well.
All the above companies offer great warrenties on great products. Taurus offers a lifetime warrenty on a product you'll spend a life time sending back to the factory. If they would take some of the money they put into the warrenty program and into the CS and put it in the QC departmeant, they might get something good going.

MachIVshooter
March 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
One thing I remind customers of is the Taurus Lifetime warrenty. That's one thing they have over just about every other gunmaker.

What good is it when they don't honor it?

And they're hardly the only gun maker with lifetime warranty. S&W, Kel-Tec, Armalite.......heck, even Hi-Point does!

jackpinesavages
March 17, 2012, 01:22 PM
Oh, those were S&W Reps. on Monica? Sweet dude!!! :evil:

Yeah, (2) R&R jobs on 1076s. All I had to do was box em up and drive them to a U.P.S. Depot with the Factory shipping label attached.

The little 22A I have that's run flawless for years now-it's resting on it's own laurels too. :what:

THAT S&W company that's still creating American jobs, today, here in the U.S.?

THAT S&W which has a Lifetime Warranty, offers rebates for current and past Military Service folks?

The only time you've been screwed is when you stood still long enough to take it, or you ENJOY believing you're a victim. :eek:

No, not everybody likes Glocks.

It amazes me that people are so happy to bend over for Smith & Wesson after the way they screwed gun owners under Clinton.
Smith & Wesson has been sitting on their laurels since WW2.

PabloJ
March 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
When reduced to bare essentials the equation becomes strikingly simple with S&W purchase one pays more but can get more when the item is sold so the equation remains the same. I'm not going to mention the pride and joy of owning Smith & Wesson product.
I'm not going to touch saving jobs issues because out purpose now is to load money into pockets those who make their products in PRC but started out in US employing their neighbors on the other side of fence or tracks, to keep foreigners working and re-electing politicians who do not care about us.

bottom shelf
March 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
I spend about 8 days a month is various machine shops around the country. I've been in the Taurus plant in Miami, FLA, Smith & Wesson in Houlton, ME, and Ruger. I can tell you for sure that just because "gun B" is made on the same CNC machine as "gun A" means nothing. There are design differences, specified tolerance differences, and materials differences that mean much more than what machine is used. Also, the tooling on the machine has service limits. Finished surfaces cut on a new tool (inserts, and such) are different than surfaces cut on a tool nearing its service limit.

Also, two operators can make the same part on the same machine, and both of them be in spec, yet both be quite different.

commygun
March 18, 2012, 11:15 PM
Good Tauri I've owned:
Models 66, 65, 431 (x3), 85CH, PT-92C

Bad Tauri I've owned:
PT-100 unreliable
PT-22. Three in quick succession, replaced by the factory one after the other as each self destructed
Model 94 Ultralite. Incredible that this got out of the factory with such horrendous fit. It just feels cheap. It was given to me.

allaroundhunter
March 19, 2012, 12:00 AM

I'm going to side with those saying that reverse-snobbery isn't helping you.....and I have honestly never known a marine, current or former, to be a snob. Granted, I have only known about 20, but they generally seem to input their opinions, while still welcoming those of others even if they didn't agree (unless it was on subject of the best branch of the armed services ;)).....

BigN
March 19, 2012, 04:38 AM
My particular "truth" about Taurus doesn't match yours. Once I dump the one I have, it's Smith & Wesson or Ruger after that...

Brian Williams
March 19, 2012, 06:09 AM
Yes, guns break, yes they can be and have been fixed by the company that made it, yes occasionally one leaves the factory with a problem and occasionally one malfunctions while being used and sometimes causes a problem. Get over it.

If you enjoyed reading about "The truth about Taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!