Discouraging the "Zombie" market

PDA

brigadier
March 5, 2012, 11:52 PM
I'm putting this here for purpose of getting this message out.

Before I get started, I want to make it clear that this is not a "moral" or "rights" argument. This is to encourage a "lock your door when you leave your house" policy. Meaning, this has nothing to do with rights and responsibilities and everything to do with exposing one's self to unwanted trouble from the bad guys.

The issue is that it seams as though the firearm industry is trying to market on this recent "zombie" media craze in rather disturbing ways. Namely Horniday's zombie ammo marketing but other stuff as well.

The gun grabbers may be on the defensive now but they're not defeated and they WILL hit back hard if you leave them a good opening.

It's only a matter of time before some nutcase takes this zombie killing fad to the extreme and mows a few people down. And when that happens, the first thing the gun grabbers are going to do is look for any way they can lay the blame on the firearm industry and with all this real ordnance marketed as zombie killers and whatnot is going to amplify any success or chance of success they can get out of it.

Anyway, this is no attack on the industry. I have a gun called "zombie killer" myself and really like it. It's not about that at all. This is just an alert to the arms industry. In a truly free country and free market this should not be an issue. Unfortunately, we live in a time when we need to watch our backs when it comes to things like this and using the zombie fad to market real ordnance doesn't seam like a very wise choice under the present circumstances.

If you enjoyed reading about "Discouraging the "Zombie" market" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Weevil
March 6, 2012, 12:00 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s320x320/430757_359092180792251_100000744153711_1076840_331263901_n.jpg

1911fan
March 6, 2012, 12:33 PM
Actually, the OP isn't very far wrong.

All it's gonna take in ONE nutcase with a hi-cap EBR getting tweaked out and mowing down a few shoppers at the mall, then telling the cops, "They were zombies and they were comin' after me."

ZOMBIES: The joy of shooting humans without the sin of taking human life (hey, they're already DEAD, aren't they?), not to mention all those nasty legal complications.

Something very wrong with this whole Zombie thing...

My tuppence,

ed

ThorinNNY
March 6, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sshhh. Better speak VERRRY quietly & softly lest P.E.T.Z.A. ( People for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies Association) gets word of this! :uhoh:

Isaac-1
March 6, 2012, 12:36 PM
I think the OP has a point, there is a line that should not be crossed when marketing guns and ammo. Anything that trivializes the seriousness of a firearm should be carefully done, the same should be said about anything that blurs the line between a toy and a gun, it is bad enough to make toys look like real guns, lets not make guns look like toys.

crracer_712
March 6, 2012, 12:43 PM
I love it! All this Zombie craze stuff.

I took a lady to the range last weekend, her first time handling a gun. After some information was passed to her and her first shooting a 22 pistol, I bumped her up to my LCP 380 Zombie slayer. She thought it was great, and she's 50 something years old. She said she told her 30 something year old son that she shot a gun that said Zombie Slayer on it, she said her son says 'Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!'

It's all in good fun, IMO, and anyone with their head right on their shoulders can deal with it accordingly. I see no difference in someone freaking out and having a shooting spree claiming people are Zombies as opposed to someone just freaking out and shooting people at random. Those poeple are just not right in the head to begin with.

Weevil
March 6, 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand why a zombie-obsessed nut killing people in a mall or a school is gonna make us look worse than a plain ol' nut shooting up a school or a mall.

Maybe a better story for the media???

I dunno seems to me nuts killing innocent people with a gun is always gonna make us look bad, regardless of the slant the media puts on the story.

crracer_712
March 6, 2012, 12:45 PM
Apparently Weevil and I were thinking along the same lines...

Certaindeaf
March 6, 2012, 12:48 PM
We have our zombies, they have their hello kitty's.
Jimminy, you could blame Nintendo and or some shoes.. which they do.
I'd calm down a bit.

crracer_712
March 6, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sent from my computer using my fingers.

I had a LOL at this because I get your meaning.

Orkan
March 6, 2012, 12:57 PM
Placating the anti's has absolutely no point. If it can be argued that an insane individual is representative of all firearm owners, then it can be argued that an insane individual is representative of ANY group.

To acknowledge the OP's point is to give power to an argument that when viewed rationally is absolutely ridiculous. My 3yr old daughter can watch a cartoon and distinguish that it is not real. To give credibility to a sick individual that shoots up innocent people at a mall, using the excuse of being unfairly influenced by marketing is exactly the thinking of an anti.

The bottom line is that every individual in this country is responsible for their OWN actions. The media and clever lawyers will play. We are to stay the course regardless.

Certaindeaf
March 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
I had a LOL at this because I get your meaning.
No brains for you!

crracer_712
March 6, 2012, 01:33 PM
Dang it!

Justin
March 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
Anti gun activists are going to try to demonize us no matter what.

Therefore there is no reason for us to waste time and effort walking on eggshells because we're worried that they might say something mean.

If it wasn't zombies, they'd just pick something else to get offended by.

Though, for what its worth, a certain anti-rights blogger recently discovered the zombie thing and tried to use it as a way to criticize gun owners.

Being both culturally ignorant of guns as well as the current zombie fad, she managed to make herself look all manner of stupid without anyone on our side even lifting a finger.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

mgmorden
March 6, 2012, 02:17 PM
Being both culturally ignorant of guns as well as the current zombie fad, she managed to make herself look all manner of stupid without anyone on our side even lifting a finger.

That's a positive of this. The zombie craze in the media isn't right or left wing. Its not something that splits people down the same lines as gun politics often do. Zombies (movies, stories, memorabilia, etc) are popular right now. If you try to attack guns for associating with zombie culture then you'll have a whole lot of people - even non-shooters - scratching their heads going "Huh? . . . ".

Besides - the old "its just an easier way to kill without the guilt" thing is hogwash. People shoot zombie targets. People shoot robber or terrorist targets. People shoot featureless silhouettes. I hate to break it to you, but NONE of those are any more or less alive than the next. They're all TARGETS. Even the zombie craze isn't about mowing down people without sin. It's about the face that zombies are freakishly scary. There's the visual aspect, but there's also the setting of a world where you make your own destiny yet are continuosly hunted by an enemy that has no ulterior motives. It JUST wants to kill you.

It was part of the same thing that made the Terminator such a scary villan. As Kyle Reese said of it:

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

longdayjake
March 6, 2012, 03:23 PM
I for one think it is genius. One thing that anti-gun people constantly argue is that there is no reason to own any guns in a peaceful society. Well, zombie preparation totally kills that argument.

brigadier
March 6, 2012, 03:27 PM
I think the OP has a point, there is a line that should not be crossed when marketing guns and ammo. Anything that trivializes the seriousness of a firearm should be carefully done, the same should be said about anything that blurs the line between a toy and a gun, it is bad enough to make toys look like real guns, lets not make guns look like toys.

That's pretty close to the point. And to the others, yes, any RATIONAL person won't have any trouble discerning the difference between zombies in fiction and reality. The problem is not everyone in possession of a firearm is rational. That isn't to say that the firearm industry is responsible for bad behavior, only that they are leaving themselves open for unwelcome trouble.

That isn't to say that there isn't SOME room in the arms industry for playing with the zombie fad, just that they need to be far more careful.

Zombie targets for instance make sense. This on the other hand is an invitation for a lawsuit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWb-5nblx4

There have already been some real cases of people getting assaulted upon being mistaken for zombies. It's only a matter of time before someone adds a gun in to the mix.

GCMkc
March 6, 2012, 03:36 PM
I think the firearms companies are having fun with it and probably making some good profits. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Doesn't make a difference to me. Plus, it says that this is not a toy on the box of the Hornady Zombie max ammo. If you can't read, then you shouldn't be shooting a firearm.

crracer_712
March 6, 2012, 03:38 PM
The only problem I have with it is I have only been able to find the Zombie Max ammo instock for my 380, 40 and 223. I am still in need of some in the 9mm and 12 gauge 00!

blarby
March 6, 2012, 03:46 PM
Still trying to figure out how this thread ended up unlocked...

Anywho.

Zombie rounds : NEED IT, LOVE IT, WANT MORE OF IT !

I wanna see hornady bullet commercials all over the walking dead series.

I wanna see ZMAX extra sugar breakfast cereal.

I wanna see little timmy's zombie gummi bears pouch in his lunchbox, with a 50 cent coupon for ZMAX 22lr on the side. Shotgun shell red looks good in fruity shapes and colors, don'tcha think ?

If I bought a box of cracker jacks, and it had a hornady logo temporary tattoo in it, I'd slap that sucker on my forehead.

WHY ?

GUN PR. Thats why.

There are so many people completely ignorant of guns and their trappings, that every time the anti's saber-rattle...they get all mushy and scared.

Anything that we as a consuming section of the public do that makes firearm use more acceptable and mainstream is positive.

Anything that draws intelligent people into conversation about the "realities" of our 2nd Amendment "hobbies" ( for lack of a better catch all) is overwhelmingly positive.

The younger you can draw folks in to a positive experience with a product, the more likely they are to stay users ( and defenders ) of that product throughout their lives...if not specifically loyal to your brand.

Any product-related danger in ZMAX bullets misuse would very easily by lawyered away first thing in two ways : 1. Look at the warnings on the zombie ammo box....its even more restrictive than their standard warning verbiage. 2. Its an AMAX with a different color, thats all. They did not do any different construction or engineering for ZMAX...just a different color, and different wrappings..... these two things may not matter or make sense to you....but it makes sense in a TORT.

I can imagine a bo-jillion product tie ins for this.... I hope they use every single one.

One last note on a lil hypocrisy :

Anyway, this is no attack on the industry. I have a gun called "zombie killer" myself and really like it.

Holy tap dancing c.......

Anyways,

So, whats the plan of action here ? No zombie bullets ?

That didn't work real good for those evil hollowpoints....

or those bone-crushin anti-bear sabot slugs... You know, the ones that cut cars in half ?

It only worked even a lil bit on 'Talons... AND THEY STILL MAKE THE DARN THINGS. The only thing that killed the PR on 'Talons was public misinformation.... Again, they are still available ...they just aren't called BLACK "SURGEON HAND CUTTING OFF" TALONS.

Difference here, is that we're waaaaaaay ahead of the ball this time....not far behind it.

brigadier
March 6, 2012, 03:52 PM
I see no difference in someone freaking out and having a shooting spree claiming people are Zombies as opposed to someone just freaking out and shooting people at random. Those poeple are just not right in the head to begin with.

The difference is that when some nutcase DOES go and mow people down and claims he was defending himself from zombies, and the gun grabbers expose all the guns sold as "Zombie Killers" and Hornaday's Zombie ammo, it's going to create a PR nightmare for the arms industry as well as some potential lawsuits.

I think the firearms companies are having fun with it and probably making some good profits. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Doesn't make a difference to me. Plus, it says that this is not a toy on the box of the Hornady Zombie max ammo. If you can't read, then you shouldn't be shooting a firearm.

You seam to be having the misunderstanding I've made a strong effort to prevent. I have nothing morally against the arms industry and their zombie fad. I HAVE and Addax Tactical Zombie Killer and greatly respect the people who made it. I also keep Hornaday TAP ammo in it. I have nothing against these people morally. Quite the opposite. The aim of this thread is the same as you telling your kids to look both ways before crossing the street or locking your door before leaving home. Encouraging the gun industry to tread carefully with the zombie fad is for their own benefit.

Viottato
March 6, 2012, 03:56 PM
I seem to remember a similar thread on here about pro gun (but tasteless/controversial) T shirts. I see both sides of the argument. Unfortunately, someone always has to take it to the extreme.

I guess in the end the market will decide. I won't be spending any of my money on Zombie marketed items.

ObsidianOne
March 6, 2012, 04:01 PM
OP, I think you're looking way too far into this. Hornady made a marketing run and I applaud them for doing so. I bought a box of 7.62x39 to set on my bench as a novelty and I imagine others did as well. I have yet to see any 'zombie' merch that was worth anything that didn't either look stupid or had no purpose.
I would honestly laugh anyone away that showed up with 'zombied' out gear, but at the same time, we have to think of it from the other end of things, it's inviting more people into our sport and community to become pro 2A members.

Everyone has their niche', and while some people may like something we deem silly, I think we should let it ride. I seriously doubt people are going to start shooting people with 'zombie gear' and bring negative publicity that they wouldn't do without 'zombie gear'.

brigadier
March 6, 2012, 04:08 PM
I seriously doubt people are going to start shooting people with 'zombie gear' and bring negative publicity that they wouldn't do without 'zombie gear'

Again, you are absolutely right here. The problem is that when someone DOES attach the "zombie" theme to a real life murder, the zombie gun and ammo market is going to get hit hard. And they don't even have to use any ordnance marketed as "zombie" ordnance. All they have to do is say they though they were defending themselves from zombies and the arms industry will get hit. And it sounds like the gun grabbers are already aware and waiting for that very opportunity to present it's self. One of 2 things is going to happen sooner or later. Either the gun industry is going to move on to other advertising or they WILL get hit hard by the gun grabbers over it. Some crazy mowing people down and calling it a zombie attack is not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Melee wise, it's already happened.

wannabeagunsmith
March 6, 2012, 04:32 PM
It's only a matter of time before some nutcase takes this zombie killing fad to the extreme and mows a few people down. And when that happens, the first thing the gun grabbers are going to do is look for any way they can lay the blame on the firearm industry and with all this real ordnance marketed as zombie killers and whatnot is going to amplify any success or chance of success they can get out of it.I had tried to explain that concept months ago and was quickly silenced. Glad people are finally seeing the point. That said, I see nothing wrong with zombie-related firearms, accesories, or ammo. It really depends on the person.

blarby
March 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm starting to see at least some of the logic behind the OP, I just doubt it will materialize.

This same theoretical argument gets applied to people who kill people in the name of exorcisms, or neglect healthcare on behalf of the Church as a whole.

It hasn't worked real well for the offenders in those cases, and has had very little impact on the Church to boot.

There will always be crazy. Some people wake up, and decide to bring the crazy EXTRA HARD that day.

Anyone who honestly confesses to touching off rounds at "zombies" may very well be attempting to lay the foundation of an insanity defense ( Hey, its been tried with Twinkies.... to a degree ) but I'm sure, just as in the Twinkie defense, the public reaction is gonna be about the same. In the courts eyes, the ammo might be attributed to an underlying condition much as the Twinkie..... But its not the fault of Hostess, and snack cake vendors and their customers suffered not at all.

Anyone who conversely takes up the banner of the Zombie ammo defense is going to be ridiculed in much the same manner as the defense team was there....except by the accused.

JustinJ
March 6, 2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think "antis", and other people in general, are generally considered with "why's" people get mowed down as much as the means by which it happens.

JN01
March 6, 2012, 05:05 PM
The zombie fad will soon run its course and the goofy marketing will go away.

Personally, I don't see it as any more of a liability issue for the manufacturers than all the stuff marketed as "tactical". If some lunatic sees himself as some kind of super secret operator and starts whacking "the enemy", will the companies that sold him the gear be responsible for feeding his delusions?

How about all the cowboy action shooting stuff? Someone might think they are the re-incarnation of John Wesley Hardin.

Haxby
March 6, 2012, 05:06 PM
Say some nutcase makes the news with a tacticool 30/30 loaded with zombie ammo. Then the gun haters come in and manage to outlaw tacticool 30/30's and zombie ammo.
The net result is we have to go back to shooting better-looking guns, and bullets with red tips instead of green.
It just occurred to me that a tacticool 30/30 and zombie ammo might be a good investment.

mljdeckard
March 6, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm done and a half with zombies. By the time the World War Z movie actually comes out, this will have been going on for several years. I don't care if people want to have a little fun and a giggle, but this was past silly long ago.

As for how it could backlash us...I dunno. I really don't see much difference between a shooter who goes zombie and one who goes postal.

Cosmoline
March 6, 2012, 05:13 PM
There actually has been a mass shooting of "zombies" by a deranged individual in Seattle a few years back invited to a "zombie rave."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189111,00.html

Note the date. That was back when zombies were still trendy in the ironic counter-culture. A reaction against the then-overhyped vampires. The posts suggesting this is a fad on the way out are correct. It's gone from retro genre to hip counterculture to mainstream hype, and the next stage is back to the grave.

he was defending himself from zombies, and the gun grabbers expose all the guns sold as "Zombie Killers" and Hornaday's Zombie ammo, it's going to create a PR nightmare for the arms industry as well as some potential lawsuits.

I can see the potential for media hype, but not much beyond that. Assume the killer above used Z-Max bullets. He'd still be a complete nutcase, and the existence of the special "zombie" bullet would be no more causative than the existence of silver bullets.

beatledog7
March 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
It's not just the zombies craze. As gun owners, we have a responsibility to ourselves and our shooting brethren to act like mature adults.

Every example of a EOTWAWKI, SHTF, "which battle rifle has the most bullets?" thread and similar sorts of polls, BBs, clubs, etc. furthers some antis' impression that we're all kooks, and therefore dangerous. I of course don't agree, but why give them the rope with which to hang ourselves?

Feel free to flame me--I don't care.

Sam Cade
March 6, 2012, 05:15 PM

Before I get started, I want to make it clear that this is not a "moral" or "rights" argument. This is to encourage a "lock your door when you leave your house" policy. Meaning, this has nothing to do with rights and responsibilities and everything to do with exposing one's self to unwanted trouble from the bad guys.

The issue is that it seams as though the firearm industry is trying to market on this recent "Cowboy" media craze in rather disturbing ways. Namely Hornaday's Cowboy ammo marketing but other stuff as well.

The gun grabbers may be on the defensive now but they're not defeated and they WILL hit back hard if you leave them a good opening.

It's only a matter of time before some nutcase takes this outlaw killing fad to the extreme and mows a few people down. And when that happens, the first thing the gun grabbers are going to do is look for any way they can lay the blame on the firearm industry and with all this real ordnance marketed as outlaw killers and whatnot is going to amplify any success or chance of success they can get out of it.

Anyway, this is no attack on the industry. I have a gun called "outlaw killer" myself and really like it.
http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/army_outlaw.htm It's not about that at all. This is just an alert to the arms industry. In a truly free country and free market this should not be an issue. Unfortunately, we live in a time when we need to watch our backs when it comes to things like this and using the Cowboy fad to market real ordnance doesn't seem like a very wise choice under the present circumstances.:rolleyes:

SASS=ZSA

http://zombieshootersassociation.com/

http://www.sassnet.com/

PastorAaron
March 6, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm a zombie fan, but more because of the teaching moments they provide. I used to ask the kids at the church "zombie apocalypse, right now. What do you do?". Got funny looks until people heard their answers. "too much glass here, we need to go to a different room. I'm not sure we have enough food here. How much gas is in the car? Where's the first aid kit?" They were using situational awareness and evaluating situations that could mirror natural disasters. Great teaching tools.
I am not sure how zombie marketing is more dangerous than any other marketing. A buddy's dad thinks our community has a troop of nazis lurking about trying to "get" him. I'm sure if someone is gonna trade in their sanity card it ain't gonna matter who they believe is coming to get them...
But when the zombies come, AND THEY WILL COME, I will be ready ;)

Nushif
March 6, 2012, 05:24 PM

The issue is that it seams as though the firearm industry is trying to market on this recent "Cowboy" media craze in rather disturbing ways. Namely Hornaday's Cowboy ammo marketing but other stuff as well.

It's only a matter of time before some nutcase takes this outlaw killing fad to the extreme and mows a few people down. And when that happens, the first thing the gun grabbers are going to do is look for any way they can lay the blame on the firearm industry and with all this real ordnance marketed as outlaw killers and whatnot is going to amplify any success or chance of success they can get out of it.

Anyway, this is no attack on the industry. I have a gun called "outlaw killer" myself and really like it.
http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/army_outlaw.htm It's not about that at all. This is just an alert to the arms industry. In a truly free country and free market this should not be an issue. Unfortunately, we live in a time when we need to watch our backs when it comes to things like this and using the Cowboy fad to market real ordnance doesn't seam like a very wise choice under the present circumstances.

This.

Paris
March 6, 2012, 05:25 PM
This thread has to be a joke, I mean, seriously, the thought and time put into this argument is hysterical and the fact that it's being presented as a serious issue has me laughing out loud to the extent my coworkers are wondering if I'm being eaten by zombies.

blarby
March 6, 2012, 05:37 PM
It just occurred to me that a tacticool 30/30 and zombie ammo might be a good investment.

Like this : ?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258000&page=111&highlight=scope

Long before it was "popular" :)

atomd
March 6, 2012, 05:47 PM
I actually think the opposite of the op. It might actually bring a would-be-anti onto our side if you can put a fun spin on things and making it about a light subject instead of thinking about "scary" things such as a home invasion or being mugged,...or being the victim in an active shooter situation. You're simply talking about killing something that is evil and heck...it's already been dead anyways.

Think about it. If you got someone into martial arts would they be the first in line to propose a ban on owning swords? Not likely. Would someone who never owned a gun but liked zombie movies and zombie books be interested in going to a range and maybe shooting a zombie target for fun? I think there's a good possibility.

ball3006
March 6, 2012, 05:55 PM
That does it............I am going out to buy some Zombie ammo first thing tomorrow......so there...........chris3

beatledog7
March 6, 2012, 06:08 PM
It might actually bring a would-be-anti onto our side if you can put a fun spin on things and making it about a light subject instead of thinking about "scary" things

When was the last time you heard an anti-gun person discuss any aspect of gun ownership in a light or humorous manner?

atomd
March 6, 2012, 06:22 PM
When was the last time you heard an anti-gun person discuss any aspect of gun ownership in a light or humorous manner?

If you read what I wrote...I said a "would-be-anti"....not an anti-gun person. I was referring to someone who may not have ever even thought about shooting a gun or whether or not there should be any form of gun control, etc. But I still disagree anyways. Lots of people are anti-gun. Lots of people also watch movies with guns in them and shows like Top Shot, etc. The exposure could very well get someone who was anti-gun to possibly try shooting a gun...especially if it was in a fun scenario. Then maybe if they like it who knows. Sure, a lot of them you'll never convert and I personally don't want to spend my time hanging out with antis, but if a movie or a model of a gun converts a few people...the more the merrier. I definitely don't see it doing any harm.

Old krow
March 6, 2012, 06:41 PM
It might actually bring a would-be-anti onto our side if you can put a fun spin on things and making it about a light subject instead of thinking about "scary" things

Or.... there really could be a zombie epidemic. We'll all be glad that we have that ammo then because the regular stuff isn't as effective. :)

N.Schafer
March 6, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think we should just go back to "Cowboys and Indians" or "Cops and Robbers."
Then we would just be practicing killing people instead of human-shaped monsters.
<---Sarcastically

Redlg155
March 6, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hi..my name is red and I am a zombieholic.

Just had to get that one in before this thread is closed.:D

wojownik
March 6, 2012, 07:10 PM
This is to encourage a "lock your door when you leave your house" policy.

I seriously thought the OP was going to say lock your door, or else the zombies will get in.

Personally, I don't get the current zombie obsession (and its not just firearm culture - it's all over the place). Nor do I get the Punisher thing. But that's OK. I don't mind not being in this week's cool crowd.

crracer_712
March 6, 2012, 07:14 PM
Zombieholic.... I like that one!

mgmorden
March 6, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm done and a half with zombies. By the time the World War Z movie actually comes out, this will have been going on for several years.

Years? Man when I was doing the zombie thing as a kid over 20 years ago, and it had been around for a long time before that.

Zombies as a cultural phenomenon have been going on for decades. I don't think it shows any sign of slowing up anytime soon, and even if it stopped tomorrow its went far too long to call it a fad or anything else.

buck460XVR
March 6, 2012, 07:24 PM
Zombies have been the subject of the media since Bele Lugosi starred in "White Zombie" back in 1932. They went from being live people in a drug induced hypnotic state to an actual race of the undead in 1968 with the film "Night of the Living Dead". Zombies have been around a long time, they are not a passing fad and are not going to go away. To think that they will lead to the loss of our guns is like saying kids dressin' up as Frankenstein and Count Dracula on Halloween are a threat too. They are all just fictional creatures in horror movies. Any nut case justifying shooting up a mall claiming he was defending himself from Zombies, is just that....a nut case.

rls303
March 6, 2012, 07:25 PM
very wise man

wojownik
March 6, 2012, 07:27 PM
I think we should just go back to "Cowboys and Indians" or "Cops and Robbers.;)"

Ya mean like Cowboy Action Shooting? :p

Certaindeaf
March 6, 2012, 07:28 PM
Like this : ?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258000&page=111&highlight=scope

Long before it was "popular" :)
First there was the "Potato Digger" (1895 Colt) and then there was the "Grave Digger!"

Lex Luthier
March 6, 2012, 07:30 PM
Clearly the zombie thing was a small scale cultural phenomenon before the bastard marketing establishment took it upon themselves to create an investable "brand" with an ROI. Like EVERYTHING else, mature and normal socially adjusted people will not even blink at this thing after a few passes.

As an aside, there is a new drug causing a furor in Russia and other Eastern Bloc countries called "Krokodil" which is essentially homemade heroin, made much in the way some folks with that flavor of initiative whip up CMA.

This drug has deleterious effects on the human body that can only be described as zombielike. That being said, there IS a chance, in the near future, of a group of these drug addicts walking around together observed by a person with the perfect storm combo of caliber and crazy to enact a scenario the OP has offered.

Malachi Leviticus Blue
March 6, 2012, 07:52 PM
I don't let Anti 2A types or Bullies influence my choices. They own their own opinions, actions and reactions not me.

MuleRyder
March 6, 2012, 08:04 PM
The zombie fad will soon run its course and the goofy marketing will go away.

This^^^+1 albeit not soon enough!!

Fremmer
March 6, 2012, 08:07 PM
When theimpending zombie uprising occurs, you guys will know who was right.

benEzra
March 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
I don't see "zombie" action shooting games, themes, etc. as any different than "cowboy" action shooting games, themes, etc. It may be a generational thing; my dad's generation grew up watching Westerns on TV and they are probably the biggest demographic in SASS, whereas my generation came of age in the zombie era.

I tried to get a box of Hornady Z-Max for my engineer sister for Christmas (she would have loved it) but alas, none was to be found locally.

XxBulletBendeRXx
March 6, 2012, 08:13 PM
AhhMan... Are you kidding me..:what: That 5000 Round order I just bought of Hornady's zombie stuff is already outdated... great!!! :banghead: :eek:

I knew I shoulda stook to the Red tipped ones!!

JohnBT
March 6, 2012, 08:19 PM
"The zombie fad will soon run its course and the goofy marketing will go..."

...back to TACTICAL !!!!!!!!

All that Night of the Living Dead stuff is so 1968. Speaking of goofy marketing, what kind of idiocy would cause someone to make a new Three Stooges movie? It must be greed. And that brings us back to the zombie topic.

The Zombies were so 1964, well before the movie.

http://images.wikia.com/lyricwiki/images/9/94/The_Zombies_-_The_Zombies.jpg

Cdigman
March 6, 2012, 09:13 PM
I am not going to say "anything goes", but if people purchase firearms, ammunition, and have fun going to the range once a month, shooting zombie cut-outs, and end up developing a love of the shooting sports, and joining the NRA, I should think that something like this is a GOOD thing. Have we forgotten the damage done to the 2nd Amendment's cause, by the wedges driven between the hunters, and the proponents of self-defense? "I'm a hunter, we don't need 30 round magazines, why anger the anti's???"

gfpd707
March 6, 2012, 09:30 PM

The issue is that it seams as though the firearm industry is trying to market on this recent "zombie" media craze in rather disturbing ways. Namely Horniday's zombie ammo marketing but other stuff as well.

It's only a matter of time before some nutcase takes this zombie killing fad to the extreme and mows a few people down. And when that happens, the first thing the gun grabbers are going to do is look for any way they can lay the blame on the firearm industry and with all this real ordnance marketed as zombie killers and whatnot is going to amplify any success or chance of success they can get out of it.

Anyway, this is no attack on the industry. I have a gun called "zombie killer" myself and really like it. It's not about that at all. This is just an alert to the arms industry. In a truly free country and free market this should not be an issue. Unfortunately, we live in a time when we need to watch our backs when it comes to things like this and using the zombie fad to market real ordnance doesn't seam like a very wise choice under the present circumstances.
We might as well give up our semi auto rifles too. Then turn in our high capacity handguns. Followed by our home defense shotguns. You will never make the anti gun crowd happy. They want all firearms banned. By looking for ways to appease the anti gun crowd you are working for them.

Hossfly68
March 6, 2012, 09:30 PM
I thought the "anti's" WERE the zombies? :D

People are crazy. Not all, but enough so that we are aware of their presence. Those crazy people do crazy things. Who would have thought that some nut would shoot a president to show some actress how much he cares about her?
Who woulda thought some nuts would walk into a school and start shooting?
There will always be nuts out there. If we cater to the scripts that their idiot lawyers use to defend them, then we've already lost another God given right and just haven't gotten the paperwork yet.

With that being said, I'm still not going to carry Zombie Max ammo but only cause I won't pay for the novelty factor.

Sam Cade
March 6, 2012, 09:34 PM
All that Night of the Living Dead stuff is so 1968.

..gotta go back farther than that. Romero didn't invent the cinematic Zombie.

As soon as as there were movies, there were Zombie movies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrg73BUxJLI

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari ca.1920

Hypnozombies :-)

I'm rather fond of Bowery at Midnight starring Lugosi myself. It's from 1942.

Serenity
March 6, 2012, 11:33 PM
I wish I'd grown up your church, PastorAaron :cool:

Jim NE
March 7, 2012, 12:14 AM
I think the OP has a point, there is a line that should not be crossed when marketing guns and ammo. Anything that trivializes the seriousness of a firearm should be carefully done

I have to agree. I don't like telling other people what to do or how to think, but I'm surprised that the firearms industry would play into the hands of the anti-gun crowd by catering to an out-of-touch-with-reality mindset, and marketing firearms and ammunition as if they were toys.

The more we are seen by our enemies as people living in a fantasy world, the worse it is for us.

Jeff F
March 7, 2012, 01:24 AM
Even the CDC got in on the zombie craze. If you have not seen oe heard of it here you go.
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies_novella.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/documents/11_225700_A_Zombie_Final.pdf

1858remington
March 7, 2012, 01:32 AM
Ok Zombie fans... Think Geek has Brain shaped jello moulds, and a brain shaped cupcake maker with head holder.

baronthered
March 7, 2012, 05:05 AM
The zombie thing has been with us since Gilgamesh.

" I will knock down the Gates of the Netherworld,
I will smash the door posts, and leave the doors flat down,
and will let the dead go up to eat the living!
And the dead will outnumber the living!"

George Romero just applied the whole zombie thing to mass consumerism among other things that was the whole point in placing the first film in a mall, the zombies were returning to the mall or if you want something " smarter"

"Romero's reinvention of zombies is notable in terms of its thematics; he used zombies not just for their own sake, but as a vehicle to criticize real-world social ills—such as government ineptitude, bioengineering, slavery, greed and exploitation—while indulging our post-apocalyptic fantasies"

Personally I see pictures or film of people walking down the side walk in large "packs" in a large city I think of zombies.

More as a metaphor but the feeling remains.

As to the point of whether a crazed individual says zombies are after him and he went on a rampage, is like the argument of inanimate objects are what hurts people rather than the person using said object.

As to the anti's ... nothing high road to say to them.

I do want one of these

http://zombieindustries.com/shop/category/bleeding-zombie-targets/

but they are kind of spendy. On the other hand my wife did spend the cash on my "zombie rifle" soooooo... ( insert evil laugh) mmmmmwwwwwaaahahahahahah

Saakee
March 7, 2012, 05:32 AM
The Ex one is kinda. . . iffy.

buckhorn_cortez
March 7, 2012, 05:55 AM
It's another thread where people can predict the future and "what will happen."

Would someone who can predict the future (someone will use zombie ammo to ....whatever)...please have the courtesy to use their gift of predicting the future to PM me the next week's winning PowerBall number? Because if you can't do that, I don't believe the rest of your prognostications.

JohnBT
March 7, 2012, 09:10 AM
"Romero didn't invent the cinematic Zombie"

If he didn't, he certainly popularized it and the whole zombie fad when I was a teen.

Come to think of it, I don't believe there were zombies (as we think of them today) in the Cabinet of Dr. C. They were more like mind-controlled sleepwalkers weren't they? Of course I haven't seen the movie for 20 or 30 years.

John

Sam1911
March 7, 2012, 09:17 AM
We seem to have gotten away from the effects of the Zombie craze on RKBA, which is the only possible THR content.

If you enjoyed reading about "Discouraging the "Zombie" market" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!