Rough-wear gun choice

PDA

Quoheleth
March 6, 2012, 07:06 AM
Watching the spring weather so far and the recent crop of tornadoes, and now the clean-up process, has me thinking ahead to the summer hurricane season down here on the Gulf Coast. I remember very well the need to be out and about, hot and sweaty, cleaning up tree limbs, trash and debris. At times like that, I don't want to be carrying my "good" guns - guns I don't really want scratched and scuffed up. I'm thinking of adding a relatively inexpensive beater to my safe for a situation like this.

What I want is a economical (~$250 or so) gun that I can wear for rough duty and not cry if it gets scuffed or a bit of rust (I sweat like a hoss) if I don't clean it right away. I'm thinking either a Smith & Wesson round-butt stainless 64 or model 10, or a CZ 82.

There are plusses and minuses both ways. The CZ is cheaper up front, but I don't reload for it so it's factory ammo only - which, thankfully, is still fairly inexpensive but not every Walmart has 9mm Mak. Not a great SD cartridge, it's not bad. It is fairly heavy for its size (28 oz) but you get a pretty good payload of 12 rounds - don't really need to carry an extra mag for that.

The Smith revolvers are great. I love my K-frames and reload for .38 special, so ammo will never be a problem. A 4" does weigh a bit more, about 36oz and with only 6 rounds, a speed strip might be handy to have. Nice thing about the revolver is I can also stuff a couple shot cartridges in them - might not be a bad thing if I wind up in brush. The 64 is stainless, which is nice.

This could also be a loaner gun to a friend should the need arise.

Any thoughts?
Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Rough-wear gun choice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
calaverasslim
March 6, 2012, 07:27 AM
EZ Choice. Model 64.. You've already answered your questions.

The auto can jam if not cleaned properly and cleaning up after hurricanes is not the greatest time to worry about that. The crawly type of snakes are not your only concern in that type of environment, so reliability is a main factor.

Stainless helps protect in a hot, humid environment.

Simple choice.

bikerdoc
March 6, 2012, 07:36 AM
I picked up a used, carried a lot, shot a little, 4 inch Ruger security six just for that purpose. (got some others that are pristine)

$265 OTD at a gun show.

Couple of speed loaders or strips and your good to go.

God bless.

content
March 6, 2012, 07:45 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // I voted S&W 64 because of the 65 - 3 I just bought for the same purpose.

The shot shell as first round is something I do too. When loading more than one shot shell I have had jams.

A little rough, bought off of gun broker so shipping and ffl added to the cost... I wanted to see how the police trade ins compared to local buys of the same revolver.

Locks up tight and shoots fine, mainly just some scrapes from the holster snap.

wlewisiii
March 6, 2012, 08:27 AM
Model 64 loaded with this: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108 Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP +P. If crawlies are a really big problem, I'd rather have a 20 gauge H&R single shot chopped to the legal minimums.

ApacheCoTodd
March 6, 2012, 09:26 AM
The ability to reliably fire shot and stainless finish trumps several other issues for me. 64 says I.

Certaindeaf
March 6, 2012, 09:53 AM
If you're knee deep in caliche and chainsawing like a monkey, I'd go with that auto. And or get ye a full flap.

Ranger30-06
March 6, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'd go CZ82 here. You can get beater ones for $150 (maybe even less) and ammo isn't that hard to find. 12 rounds isn't bad either, especially if you have to deal with little critters too. I know how snakes can be and in that situation I'd definitely want something reliable with a bunch of ammo available. The CZ82 is an upgraded Makarov so you can't go wrong there...

Edited to add: About the snake shot thing, don't most brands say "Not for use in revolvers or ported guns"? Might want to reconsider a revolver if you want to shoot snake shot.

trickyasafox
March 6, 2012, 10:29 AM
choose whatever you like, but if you need some leather for the cz82 CZUSA has some on clearance for a good price
http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-11217/Shoulder-Holster-And-Mag-Pouch-Combo-Cz-8283.aspx

rcmodel
March 6, 2012, 12:34 PM
I remember very well the need to be out and about, hot and sweaty, cleaning up tree limbs, trash and debris.Assuming you may have water moccasins and other snakes in the brush after a storm?
Stainless, Revolver, and CCI Snake-Shot for me please.

If they made 9mm MAK Snake-Shot, I suppose the CZ-82 would be an option.
But they don't.

rc

Certaindeaf
March 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
Let us create a monster. You say you reload, you can load shotcups into any 3/8".. at least it's easy for the 9x19. Heck, you'll likely have a chainsaw in your hands anyway so.. lol

Furncliff
March 6, 2012, 08:11 PM
CZ82... a police and military quality gun. +P ammo is out there if you feel the need. I've never felt the need to shoot a snake... <shrug>.

hariph creek
March 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
I vote 64, with a 3" barrel. I'd be fine with a 10 as well. I don't have the body chemistry that rust guns quickly. One of the ''six'' series from Ruger, could be considered. Or a SP101, or a J-frame, or a etc...
If not for 2-legged snakes, a little ''kit'' gun would be great.

David E
March 7, 2012, 04:01 PM
Nothing says "beat me" like a used Glock. Just sayin'......

deputy tom
March 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
I voted Model 64. I carried one on duty for decades and it's still going strong. For your application get a flap holster or GI shoulder holster and you will be GTG.tom.:)

The Real Wyatt
March 7, 2012, 10:02 PM
The situation simply cries out for a GP-100.
Why even mess with another choice?

beatledog7
March 7, 2012, 10:36 PM
A police turn-in CZ would be ideal. But, even though it might cost a bit more up front than the $250 figure, I'd choose one chambered in 9mm Luger for the better availability and lower price of ammo.

jrw69
March 7, 2012, 10:54 PM
I'm just curious if we are only talking critters and snakes, why not .22? CCI makes a great shot shell and as you know all .22 ammo is cheap, and carrying would be no trouble at all. Like I said, just curious.

johnsack2001
March 7, 2012, 11:07 PM
Ill just throw it out there. You can get a Hi-point in 9mm Luger and some shot shells for under $200 at most places.

But otherwise Id go with the CZ and consider loading your own shot shells.

EDIT: BTW when you run out of ammo for the Hi-point you can use it as a hammer or club.

jbkebert
March 7, 2012, 11:15 PM
My spring and summer clean-up gun is a Ruger Blackhawk stainless .357 mag. First shot up is a CCI shotshell. I carry an extra speed strip in my pocket with another shot shell placed to so its the first shot up.

I have had plenty of times cleaning up brush and wood piles. Where a snake or pack rat is found. Also while hunting mushrooms more than a couple times a snake was dispatched.

shep854
March 8, 2012, 08:29 AM
Among the three listed, the M64 best fills the bill. As mentioned, ammo versatility is unequalled.

Taurus 617 CCW
March 8, 2012, 08:58 AM
It's hard to beat a stainless .38 Special.

bannockburn
March 8, 2012, 05:18 PM
I went with the Model 64 from the three listed mainly because it's stainless, it's extremely durable, and with so many different loads that you can use, it's the most versatile.

Coyote3855
March 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
If those are your guns and your choices, go with the 64. I'd take my Glock 23.

ColtPythonElite
March 8, 2012, 05:37 PM
The 64.

Loic
March 8, 2012, 05:57 PM
I got a police trade in SW 64-5 stainless for $250. It's a really nice gun

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

2zulu1
March 8, 2012, 06:22 PM
Of your choices I voted for the M64, I have the 3", but when I carry a wheelgun it's mostly 357mag.

A note on snake shot, it may or may not work.

After watching three rounds of snake shot hit behind the head of a Diamondback, I finally dispatched the rattler with a SJHP behind the head.

While some venomous snake bites don't require hospitalization, all rattler bites in Arizona require a trip to the ER and treatment is VERY expensive, I know.

Certaindeaf
March 8, 2012, 08:01 PM
.After watching three rounds of snake shot hit behind the head of a Diamondback, I finally dispatched the rattler with a SJHP behind the head..
Do you think it was because it had a thick plate of neck gristle?

rcmodel
March 8, 2012, 08:40 PM
Them Arizona rattlesnakes must be a heck of a lot tougher then Kansas rattlesnakes.

Maybe it's all the sand & sun?

I shot one last summer with a CCI .22RF shot load at about 4 feet and it almost unattached his head from his body.

rc

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 8, 2012, 08:45 PM
I voted for the CZ 82 because of it being more durable. Won't have to worry if you dropped it.

shep854
March 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
I suppose my M49 is my "rough-wear" gun, since it's in my pocket year-round, even in sweaty heat.

Stasher1
March 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Nothing says "beat me" like a used Glock. Just sayin'......

This^^^

I'm not a Glock fan so I'd be carrying my M&P instead, but the idea is the same. It's a tool to me, so I have no fear of scratches or wear. ;)

Loic
March 11, 2012, 11:01 AM
I keen I had a pic somewhere...LOL its a 4" barrel

http://img.tapatalk.com/4257477e-be2e-d09d.jpg

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

TexasBill
March 12, 2012, 01:08 AM
The Model 64 in the GI-style, across the chest holster recommended in an earlier post seems to me to be the best bet. You already reload for it, you can use a variety of rounds (snakes can be a problem after a storm with significant flooding), it's ready for immediate use and will last darn near forever. The GI-style holster keeps the gun out of the brush and such.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rough-wear gun choice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!