What AK 74 magazines did I buy?

PDA

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 7, 2012, 02:33 AM
I bought these AK 74 mags and East German mag pouch from a friend all for $20. I'm not sure what they are exactly. Are these Bakelite magazines? Could these magazines stand up to hard use such as being dropped during reloading?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77680901@N05/6814987256/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77680901@N05/6814987106/in/photostream

If you enjoyed reading about "What AK 74 magazines did I buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rob G
March 7, 2012, 03:50 AM
Those are bakelite magazines for sure. If you really only paid $20 for the three of them then you got a hell of a deal. The cheapest I've seen them anywhere recently was about $50 each. As for breaking, I've seen it happen before, but mostly those are tough magazines and should hold up just fine. Personally I don't toss mine around too much but that's just because I only have a couple and they were high dollar.

Dr.Rob
March 7, 2012, 04:27 AM
Those used to sell for.. $7 a piece or so.

Rob G
March 7, 2012, 09:01 AM
Those used to sell for.. $7 a piece or so.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....

Z-Michigan
March 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
You got a terrific deal.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
There are four of them. I'm just wondering if I should get other magazines for hard use.

henschman
March 7, 2012, 12:29 PM
No, those are very tough magazines. No issues at all with using them hard. Those are pretty much the best you can get for those rifles.

GCMkc
March 7, 2012, 12:31 PM
There are four of them. I'm just wondering if I should get other magazines for hard use.

Just pick up a cheap bulgy plastic mag or a steel one. Steel AK mags are built like tanks and can take some serious abuse.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
Would they be fine to be knocked out of the gun during reloading onto concrete?

Sam Cade
March 7, 2012, 12:52 PM

Not regularly. Eventually they will land on the lips and WILL break. Magazines are consumables, no point in purposefully trying to shorten their lifespan.

Those are bakelite magazines for sure

Glass reinforced PE actually. Bakelite is very brittle.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
Glass reinforced PE actually. Bakelite is very brittle.

Are they worth less than if they were Bakelite? I guess I'm going to be careful with these mags as I don't want to break them.

Jeremy2171
March 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
Just sell those "MINTY" EG bake lights for stupid cash then go buy some bulgarians etc for regular use.

JMHO

PS you WON'T break them unless you run over them with a truck....

Sam Cade
March 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
Are they worth less than if they were Bakelite?

I'm not sure there were ever any 5.45 magazines actually made from bakelite. Dunno why everyone assumes that they are all bakelite, pretty much the worst possible material to make a magazine from.

There were both chinese and soviet bakelite 7.62 magazines though.

fatcat4620
March 7, 2012, 01:10 PM
You could go to soviet-steel.com and ask to trade. You could get 3 or 4 to 1 in trade for steel or circle 10mags.

wojownik
March 7, 2012, 01:57 PM
That's an excellent deal your friend gave you for thosee EG resin mags, these days.

The color is unmistakably East German - and i didn't see any arsenal marks, which is also EG. Mold 45, most likely from most likely made by Ernst Thaelmann VEB.

They are very durable - I have been using and abusing mine for over 10 years now. We all call them bakelite, they are actually made from a 2 part glass reinforced polyethylene plastic molding, using epoxy resin adhesive. Tough stuff.

You scored.

Dr.Rob
March 7, 2012, 03:18 PM
Had no idea these had gone up so much. I bought 4 way back when to use in my 5.56 Mak 90 when they were dirst cheap.

wojownik
March 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
The cheapest I've seen them recently is $45 used, and up to $75 for unused/lightly used EG 30 rd. bakelite mags.

henschman
March 7, 2012, 04:21 PM
Any mag will eventually break if you do enough of that kind of thing with it, but those mags could handle that kind of treatment a lot better than, say, a GI AR-15 mag.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 7, 2012, 04:21 PM
I bought 4 way back when to use in my 5.56 Mak 90 when they were dirst cheap.

My friend that I bought these off of has a MAK 90 in which the mags were bought for cheap to be used with.

Buck Kramer
March 8, 2012, 09:07 AM
Some guys get all the luck, I've been looking for some that cheap for a long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "What AK 74 magazines did I buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!