Spam Cans

PDA

ObsidianOne
March 7, 2012, 06:23 AM
I'm about to the bottom of my first 7.62x39 spam can and I'm trying to think of what I could use the actual can for once it's empty. Anybody come up with anything creative? I guess I could just fill it with brass casings, but trying to think of something more efficient.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spam Cans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Saakee
March 7, 2012, 06:39 AM
decorative plant holders.

lunch pail.

fill it full of real spam and use it for target practice.

use a hammer to pound out a face mask like in army of two.

fill it full of cement to use as a boat anchor or wheel chuck.

insert a lattice work to turn it in to a pencil holder.

use the innards of an ipod, some water proof speakers, and some rechargeable batteries to build a long life camp radio.

insert the innards of a tablet and some gps hardware for a neat little truck computer.

pockets
March 7, 2012, 08:51 AM
spam?

303tom
March 7, 2012, 09:22 AM
decorative plant holders.

lunch pail.

fill it full of real spam and use it for target practice.

use a hammer to pound out a face mask like in army of two.

fill it full of cement to use as a boat anchor or wheel chuck.

insert a lattice work to turn it in to a pencil holder.

use the innards of an ipod, some water proof speakers, and some rechargeable batteries to build a long life camp radio.

insert the innards of a tablet and some gps hardware for a neat little truck computer.

Sounds like a hellofa waste of GOOD SPAM..............I just use em for miscellaneous crap, they don`t have a closeable lid.

Redlg155
March 7, 2012, 10:09 AM
Use it to store cleaning oil, sprays and solvents in an upright position. Solvents can dissolve a plastic container it leaks.

Put two of them on your feet to make the big foot fanatics go crazy.

Amp up the volume of your ipod speakers by making an improvised boom box.

Use it to store monkey chow and then convince your wife of the need to buy a monkey. What good is a bowl of monkey chow without the monkey? Reverse psychology. If it works, buy some. 50 bmg ammo and use the same arguement.

Bring it with you the next time you go to a courthouse/airport. "No thanks, I already have a container for my loose change!"

Spray paint it orange and use it as a target.

Put a turd in it and leave it on the porch of your anti gun neighbor.

Remllez
March 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
LOL ....^^^^

Deus Machina
March 7, 2012, 10:28 AM
Mine x54r ones just hold random junk like any tray would.

The top, I'm going to smooth, clearcoat, and turn into vanity front license plates.

chevyman097
March 7, 2012, 10:50 AM
Put fire crackers in it and set them off behind an unsuspecting victim at the next family gathering.:evil:

Vonderek
March 7, 2012, 10:55 AM
The perfect accompaniment to a Hobo Cooker when you have guests over and are making Hobo meatloaf

nosmr2
March 7, 2012, 10:56 AM
I have a few I use for holding misc rifle brass in long/tall ziploc baggies. It kinda makes a file drawer. Once I have enough of a certain caliber I trade them in the for sale section for something I can use.

henrifirstman
March 7, 2012, 11:02 AM
Ashtray
cleaning solvent storage
skis
+1 on Redlg155's turd idea ^^^^
Soup bowl
Close quarter combat weapon

Ryanxia
March 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
LEGOS.

Or pack it tight with Tannerite and stand WAY back :D

Ditchtiger
March 7, 2012, 11:08 AM
tannerite target, one shot to a can.
Only good for scrap after that.

GCMkc
March 7, 2012, 01:25 PM
I put boxes of ammo in mine or gun cleaning supplies. They are actually quite handy!

Jeremiah10:23
March 7, 2012, 02:25 PM
Ashtray
cleaning solvent storage
skis
+1 on Redlg155's turd idea ^^^^
Soup bowl
Close quarter combat weapon

No, no, no how many times we gotta tell ya, soup first then the turd.

Ky Larry
March 7, 2012, 07:47 PM
Collect several sizes and start a garage marimba band.

Grow fishing worms.

Place around the house in strategic locations to hold loaded ammo for the Zombie invasion.

Pack full of stale fruitcakes and mail to your idiot brother-in-law.

longknife12
March 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
FWIW, every old US spam can I can remember clearly stated "not to be used for food container"....never knew why, just used em for every thing else!
Dan

Carl N. Brown
March 7, 2012, 09:30 PM
"not to be used for food container"....

żlead solder?

MilsurpShooter
March 7, 2012, 10:35 PM
I use mine for lead slag when casting bullets. Place under the muzzle to catch solvent and patches and one is a new tool box after my old one became too small for my gunsmithing stuff. Another holds my paint and glue for my plastic model kits lol

TurtlePhish
March 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
"not to be used for food container"

Methinks zinc chromate paint.

leadcounsel
March 8, 2012, 12:44 AM
Solvent tank for soaking gun parts? Cleaning off cosmoline....

Buck Kramer
March 8, 2012, 09:38 AM
Probably not what YOU are going to use it for but my girlfriend has found a good use for mine :)

Side note: Our dog loves finger nail polish lids.

bikerdoc
March 8, 2012, 09:46 AM
My ole lady uses em as planters

I filled a bunch with sand and built a fire pit.

got a bunch on the work bench to sortonize tools

Do not use em for dog food or water.

latesvak
March 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
I used up a couple of 7.62 cans and now keep all my gun cleaning items inside. It makes it nice to have it all in one open container.

Latesvak

JustinJ
March 8, 2012, 04:14 PM
Am i the only one who thinks a thread about what to put in a box is silly?

Jeremiah10:23
March 8, 2012, 05:00 PM

It may be silly but so is life.

gp911
March 8, 2012, 05:37 PM
They don't say anything about "not for turd storage" so that idea is still G2G. You could also use em to soak small parts like rifle bolts in kerosene to remove cosmoline, or make some groovy speakers for the guard shack as follows:

trace a round pattern on back of lid

use a .22 to shoot holes inside that circle so the pointy part sticks out

Use a deer slug to knock out a bass reflex port a few inches above the circle (optional)

Bolt a speaker so .22 holes act as a grill for it

Fill can with polyfill and run wires from speaker thru a grommeted hole on the bottom of the can

Reattach lid with silicone

THe Dove
March 8, 2012, 05:42 PM
A spit cup on the shop floor!

The Dove

Vonderek
March 8, 2012, 05:55 PM
Seriously speaking, they probably would make good containers for mineral spirits for cleaning/soaking small parts or for cleaning handguns.

ObsidianOne
March 8, 2012, 06:23 PM

Pretty much. Trying to find a purpose for something that I'd rather not just throw away and am asking the community what they use it for or their ideas for it's use seems productive, not silly.

JTHunter
March 8, 2012, 07:02 PM
Lots of good ideas here.
I've used one to hold certain tools that I use frequently and don't want to dig out of the tool boxes 50+ feet away.
Used another for holding cans of solvents (acetone, MEK, xylene, etc.) for cleaning various things. Used another for the liquid furniture stain and the old rags used to apply & polish scratches.
Used one for a portable parts washer/soaker.

Keep the ideas coming!

Redlg155
March 8, 2012, 10:44 PM
Throw on a chin strap and have a low budget steel pot.

Take it on your next hospital stay and use it instead of the bowls that look disturbingly similar to Dairy Queen banana split bowls.

Start a steel drum band.

Stick it on under your shirt, between your shoulder blades and keep repeating "I am not an animal" elephant man style.

Place it in your vehicle and use it to store cleaners, windex, wioes, etc..in an upright position.

Stick one of your daughters baby dolls inside of it and hang it from your trees ala "Island of the dolls"style to keep salesmen away.

Make a stick, string bird trap that never caught a bird when you were a kid. Maybe you are wiser now and will catch a bird. Maybe not...

Keep talking into it with your best Darth Vader voice until your wife makes you put it in the trash.

Use it for a hard core super he-man pillow at night. Then use it for scrap to help pay your chiropractor bill.

JustinJ
March 9, 2012, 11:19 AM
Pretty much. Trying to find a purpose for something that I'd rather not just throw away and am asking the community what they use it for or their ideas for it's use seems productive, not silly.

A lot of questions are productive. Doesnt make them gun related.

Black Butte
March 9, 2012, 11:44 AM
Hot tub for a guinea pig

Black Butte
March 9, 2012, 11:46 AM
Container for loose change before you take it to the bank or coin station.

Panzercat
March 9, 2012, 02:03 PM
-looks at another thread-

Um, fill them with tannerite?

beatledog7
March 9, 2012, 02:29 PM
For the last couple of years I've been trying to get over the idea that everything that ever comes into my house must have another use besides the one it was serving when I brought it in.

My doctor says I'm making progress.

Pietro Beretta
March 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
Bring it with you the next time you go to a courthouse/airport. "No thanks, I already have a container for my loose change!"

The Best answer right there!

preaction
March 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
Are you serious ? you dont know what to do with a empty can ?

wally
March 9, 2012, 10:18 PM
I toss em, too many sharp edges. I've not got anywhere near enough spare time to bother with smoothing them out. No shortage of containers here, its space that is short :)

ObsidianOne
March 10, 2012, 12:49 AM
A lot of questions are productive. Doesnt make them gun related.

Are you trying to imply that ammunition and it's containers don't pertain to guns?

Are you serious ? you dont know what to do with a empty can ?

Looking for creative ideas.

Isaac-1
March 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
My question is, how do you get the edges so nice and neat?

Saakee
March 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
dremel then sand paper? broad face pliers (not sure of the right term for this really) to smash them down?

If you enjoyed reading about "Spam Cans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!