Somebody scored a NICE 1861!

PDA

Hoof Hearted
March 7, 2012, 09:14 AM
I watched this revolver close three times w/o a bidder. I even called the owner trying to get a grasp on what he was wanting to get out of it. Then it sold today!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275789204

Really nice piece!
Congrats to the winner!

Regards, HH

If you enjoyed reading about "Somebody scored a NICE 1861!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hang fire
March 7, 2012, 12:21 PM
I can understand why some are drawn to fancy guns as a work of art. But for me, they are a complete turn off.

Fingers McGee
March 7, 2012, 12:22 PM
I've been watching it as well. If my slush fund hadn't been empty, Ida hit the buy now. The biddeer got a great lookin piece.

Hoof Hearted
March 7, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hangfire

20 years and 200 guns ago I felt the same way............

CraigC
March 7, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oooh, that's a nice one and a hell of a bargain! I'd have been all over that. Then I'd have some one-piece TruIvory fitted and possibly a cartridge conversion. :D

YumaKid
March 10, 2012, 10:19 AM
Que bonito pistola! A true work of art. Like hang fire; I'd never buy it - too pretty to take out and shoot. If I had a rich friend that bought it; I'd promise not to drool too much if he let me handle it, obviously.

My Pietta NMA's are like my other tools; designed to be used - used hard if necessary. If I had unlimited funds and could buy the finest Range Rover utility/towing vehicle made; I'd probably still be driving an old F150 - something that wouldn't "stop my heart" if some old cowboy accidentally backed into a fender (or if my sometimes-cranky horse kicked at me and got the truck instead).

I remember a flyer for "50th Anniversary" Craftsman tools; one could get a "great deal" on some GOLD-PLATED combination wrenches! Tell me, would you use those to change out your alternator? How about taking one under the vehicle to remove the oil pan plug during an oil change?

I was swapping out cylinders in my 5-1/2" NMA at Adair Range a few months ago; managed to SNEEZE mightily and dropped the empty cylinder on the concrete pad at the shooting line. I had to take a file to the cylinder face to clean up a ding that ever-so-lightly scraped the forcing cone. Used a black Sharpie to "field blue" the filed area. Would you want to do that with THIS gun???

IMHO,
YMMV,
and Just Sayin'

KMcCoy
March 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
Somebody told me once, "If you're worried about the dents, you can't afford the car." In the same vein, if the engraving used up so much of your personnal fortune that you can't bring yourself to shoot the weapon, you couldn't afford it and probably should have left it on the shelf. (and believe me, I fall in the "can't afford it" category myself) On the other hand, if you enjoy such things and can afford to both buy and shoot them, do so without remorse and phooey to the nay-sayers!

Blank Stare 73
March 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
I have a few friends who purchase "show pieces" all the time. Most of them never get fired and are put in display cases and such.............I do not have that luxury, but I am not against it either

CraigC
March 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
Somebody told me once, "If you're worried about the dents, you can't afford the car." In the same vein, if the engraving used up so much of your personnal fortune that you can't bring yourself to shoot the weapon, you couldn't afford it and probably should have left it on the shelf. (and believe me, I fall in the "can't afford it" category myself) On the other hand, if you enjoy such things and can afford to both buy and shoot them, do so without remorse and phooey to the nay-sayers!
Exactly! IMHO, they cost too much NOT to use them. The notion that guns are too nice to use has always baffled me. Especially in this case when it's an engraved Italian replica C&B pistol that's only $515. I'm not one who can go out and spend several thousand dollars on a firearm whenever the urge hits me. However, I have managed to have four custom revolvers built over the years and even went so far as to treat myself to a lovely little Merkel 28ga side by side. Those guns get enjoyed as God intended. For me, the point is to get out there and enjoy them, to enrich my life and make memories. I use them because that is where I get the most enjoyment, not because I have piles of cash laying around.

Here's a fine example. This custom Ruger .500Linebaugh belongs to a feller down in Texas. It is engraved by Jim Riggs and stocked in ivory or ivory micarta. He used stainless for the grip frame because he uses and shoots the sixgun so much, that it's been reblued several times. Between the base gun, the custom work, engraving and stocks, he's probably got close to $5000 invested in it. That's what I'm talkin' about!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/Fermin_pics/July272007002.jpg

Beagle333
March 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
I think a person should do whatever they want with their own pistol. I got shooters and I got safe queens, and the beauty of it all, is it's my decision which gets to be which. I'm all for a fellow putting his new pistol in a glass case and sucking the air out of it and putting a light on it in front of his favorite chair, but I'm also cool with it if he wants to take the grips off, epoxy the frame to a butter dish with the barrel straight up and use it for a bud vase.

But. . . if I ever get ahold of one of them General Custer engraved jobs, I'm probably going to lean more toward the hermetically sealed case. Just sayin'. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Somebody scored a NICE 1861!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!