Ever had a gun personally engraved?

PDA

Redlg155
March 7, 2012, 09:21 AM
I've toyed with the idea of having one of my guns personally engraved with my initials or patriotic/meaningful statement. Part of the reason is to keep me from selling off guns as I often view them as tools. I would also like to be able to pass one to my son some day with perhaps a personal inscription on it.

Will it affect resale value value,yes. No one really wants to buy a gun inscribed "Larrry" on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever had a gun personally engraved?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bubbles
March 7, 2012, 10:24 AM
We haven't done it on any of ours, but we've done them for others, including some presentation and award guns.

AlexanderA
March 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
Don't do it to a collector gun. It would destroy the collector value.

X-Rap
March 7, 2012, 12:30 PM
Over the years I have seen some horrendous electric pencil jobs done on some fine weapons and also a few that were well done and for those I feel a sense of sadness when I think of the circumstances that forced the owner to part with it.
I have never done it for myself but I have a son at the USAFA and when he graduates in 14 he will be getting a pistol with his name, rank, class/motto as well as the AF insignia. He and my oldest have also gotten knives engraved with similar info as well as a verse from the Bible. If I can get the one back from my oldest I will have 1-89 Cav 10th Mtn. Div. OIF engaved on it as well.
I think there can be great sentimental value depending on what it commemerates and who it is from so I am all for it but I wouldn't do it to everything.

JohnnyK
March 7, 2012, 12:37 PM
I got an AR lower for my son with his name and b-day for the serial number... I ordered it from Specialized Tactical and can't wait to get it so I can put it together...

sniper762
March 7, 2012, 07:22 PM
i bought my wife this, took it to a local jeweler and had the slide engraved on one side with her name and the other with "happy 4th anniversary"

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/FIETITANTIGRESS.jpg

Standing Wolf
March 7, 2012, 08:09 PM
I had my pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 629 .44 magnum with three-inch barrel engraved around the unfluted cylinder with a wolf standing around.

exavid
March 7, 2012, 08:20 PM
One thing to consider about personalizing a weapon is resale value is likely to be lower.

ApacheCoTodd
March 7, 2012, 08:24 PM
Will it affect resale value value,yes. No one really wants to buy a gun inscribed "Larrry" on it.

Well, there's always the possibility that another larry will make you an offer you can't refuse.

I get firearms fairly often with electric pencil SSNs, names or - to me - random numbers engraved and wish to hell they had at least had them done professionally.

I think a personally important statement would be better than a name given the overly personalized aspect of the name being there but really, if it's about dissuading a future you from selling it then maybe your son's name?

InfamousLegend
March 7, 2012, 09:33 PM
I've thought about doing a highly quality engraving on my Pre-27 down the road. Nothing personal, just really neat scroll work and professionally done. Would that lower the value?

whalerman
March 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
I've had one gun inscribed with personalized stuff. I realize it took the gun off the market, and lowered its value. But it also made it a gun to keep forever, and enjoy. Its a Ruger bird's head grip Vaquero in 45lc, customized. I don't think I'd do too many but I really enjoy the fact that I did this one. It turned out great. Everybody should do one of their guns.

Hurricane
March 7, 2012, 10:36 PM

I dunno. One of the best guns I ever owned, some jerk named Pietro had his name and initials engraved all over it.

beatledog7
March 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
You refer to the presumed previous owner, Pietro, as a jerk. That pretty much sums up why not to "personalized" engrave a gun.

shiftyer1
March 8, 2012, 12:23 AM
I'm a sucker for sentimental things like engraving on firearms giving it a personal feel. It's even better if you know the story behind it.

I had an antique kitchen clock with names and dates written on the back in pencil. I've always assumed it was given as a wedding present each generation.

I always feel an artistically engraved gun is worth a little more if it's well done, it means someone liked the gun enough to spend the cash to dress it up a little. Sticking to traditional scroll work and things like that will help with the resale price, although somebody somewhere would love a marvel comic inspired 1911, you would just have to be VERY patient if u resell it cuz it would take awhile.

At the end of the day it's yours and u can embellish it as u wish, starting a tradition is a very good reason.

monet61
March 8, 2012, 12:38 AM
When my wife bought me this SAA some years ago, she suggested I get it engraved. I was happy to get it done, and am very happy with it. I don't care about the resale cause my kids will have to worry about that. My initials are on the butt.

chute2thrill
March 8, 2012, 12:53 AM
JohnnyK has it right there! Perfect and I'm stealing it. Make the serial number the birthday!

Sav .250
March 8, 2012, 07:03 AM
You can certainly do what ever you like to your weapons but if any would qualify as "collector weapons" then that goes out the window.

Kingofthehill
March 8, 2012, 07:35 AM
Ive always wanted to but then it comes down to the expensive nd time consuming shipping overnight and then ffls. Also I can never decide on who to use and if I can find someone to do it by hand or computer controlled and I don't think I want a cut and pasted scroll work on my gun that dozens of others have the same.

bannockburn
March 8, 2012, 08:10 AM
Instead of engraving something on to the gun maybe consider getting a customized presentation case with the personalized inscription engraved on a plaque on the box lid. I did this for a custom. Revolver for my brother and it turned out really nice. Another way would be to have a similar inscription placed on a set of custom grips.

pockets
March 8, 2012, 08:11 AM
A few years back, I bought an engraved 'weapon'.
The previous owner had the name Shauna engraved on the slide of a stainless Bauer 25.
It was professionally done in a style similar to the manufacturer's name, so it looks decent.
Due to the engraving, I got it for about 60% of it's normal price.

ZeSpectre
March 8, 2012, 08:15 AM
I don't know why but I kinda like the idea of a gun named Shauna. Maybe because the Shauna I knew in my younger days was a "real pistol". :)

SaxonPig
March 8, 2012, 08:40 AM
Had this M10 done a few years ago. Same guy is currently engraving a 1911 for me. He asked if I wanted my name or initials on it and after some thought decided not to do it. Resale value was a consideration. I will never sell either gun but someday my wife will.

http://www.fototime.com/B787D1D0E475793/standard.jpg

sniper762
March 8, 2012, 09:10 AM
centimental value of something like a personalized gun has far more family ereloom value than its resale value

just imagine telling your child " this was your greatgrandmother's gun given to her by her husband for their 4th anniversary"

robb01
March 8, 2012, 09:15 AM
Never have, I've often thought I'd like to though

http://goo.gl/H9XbG

Moose458
March 8, 2012, 09:21 AM
I had this USAF emblem done to my AR lower;
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/Moose458/548053-R1-06-7.jpg

X-Rap
March 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
You refer to the presumed previous owner, Pietro, as a jerk. That pretty much sums up why not to "personalized" engrave a gun.

You can certainly do what ever you like to your weapons but if any would qualify as "collector weapons" then that goes out the window.

This is generally true but I heard a pawn broker in Safford AZ. once got a Colt SA in that had Tom Threepersons engraved on the backstrap of the grip. Not everyone who puts their name on a gun will make it worth more but there have been a few.

leadcounsel
March 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
I have two guns engraved.

1) A 1911 post Iraq deployment gift to myself when I was a Rakkasan. It's a desert tan Paraord 1911 .45 engraved with my unit, unit crest, and OIF. "RAKKASANS" is engraved across the slide. If you're not a Rakkasan, you won't like it!

2) A .45 Glock when I was a staff officer in a special forces unit for a couple years and 3 deployments. The slide is engraved with my rank, name, unit and unit crest.

To the wrong person, this damages the value. To the right person, it makes them priceless.

RetroMan
March 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Gave my son an engraved Henry Golden Boy as his first firearm for his 10th birthday.

When he makes Eagle Scout I'll have my stainless Colt Combat Commander engraved with the Eagle Scout symbol with a personal dedication from me and I'll give it to him after his court of honor in a nice presentation box.

Me ? Nope.

Old Dog Man
March 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
I had one engraved for a customer, I had built him a S.S. 300RUM and he wanted Custom built for (his name) and Built by (my name). I had built by shop initals done in small letters under his name. It was bead blasted before engraving and the shiny letters really looked good. It was done by a small jewelry store owner. Al

BIGGBAY90
March 11, 2012, 08:14 PM
ONE DAY I WOULD engrave A GUN AND PLAN ON KEEPING IT, SO IT MUST BE RIGHT AND HAVE MEANING

Sport45
March 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
I passed on buying this engraved Model 25...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=160799&stc=1&d=1331517077

Rembrandt
March 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
I wish John M. Browning had engraved his initials on a couple of mine.

Owen Sparks
March 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
Not only do I not want my nane engraved on my carry piece, I don't want the serial number registered to me either. My carry 1911 was bought anonymously from a stranger for cash.

Alec
March 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
That model 25 is terrible...

I would have purchased that if it had the right price, though.

SharpsDressedMan
March 11, 2012, 10:58 PM
You'd be surprised at what can be "rubbed out" by a talented re-finisher. I have seen guns with nonmatching parts get a makeover, and later the parts match. Those scratches would not be that hard to remove, if the gun were to be reblued.

JohnM
March 12, 2012, 10:46 AM
Carved and scratched or checkered and engraved?
Big difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever had a gun personally engraved?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!