Carbon 15 is now the Bushmaster "Lady"

PDA

ballistic gelatin
February 12, 2004, 04:12 PM
Interesting marketing ploy by Bushmaster to sell these things.
Presenting the Bushmaster "Lady"

http://bushmaster.com/Lady-Curtain.gif

I wonder if they ever fixed the reliability issues?

If you enjoyed reading about "Carbon 15 is now the Bushmaster "Lady"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
February 12, 2004, 04:18 PM
Does it come in lipstick colors?

Engineer
February 12, 2004, 04:31 PM
"To appeal to the women, we have developed the “Lady" – a special Bushmaster featuring a one-of-a-kind pattern reminiscent of what the company chairman has seen on designer handbags. Add to that the bright touches of nickel plating on some receiver controls and pins, a chrome plated bolt carrier, and a comfortable rubber recoil pad color-coordinated to match the rifle’s decorative pattern"

***? Are we selling rifles or did I miss something? Oh well, when this marketing plan fails, I'm sure we'll suddenly see the emergence of a "Lightweight Bushmaster Desert Camo with Bling Bling"....

My money may be going towards a BAR-10, so all the luck to Bushmaster with this one.

Sactown
February 12, 2004, 04:37 PM
Haha...the Luis Vutton Special Edition.

Steve Smith
February 12, 2004, 04:39 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I just don't understand why anyone would have an issue with this. I think it's a great idea. The more guns (rifles especially!) in cililian hands the happier I am.

Skofnung
February 12, 2004, 04:46 PM
I don't care much for the colors, but I would LOVE to get one of those for that special little lady (I reiterate LITTLE lady) in my life. Poor girl can't seem to hold my Hbar up long enough to shoot it offhand. One of these just might be the ticket.

Nightcrawler
February 12, 2004, 04:58 PM
I had a Carbon-15 back in the day, before Bushmaster bought them out and they became girl guns, apparently. :scrutiny:

It was very light. Less than 4lbs, empty. With a loaded 30 round mag and a red dot sight, it couldn't have been more than 5.5lbs or so. Don't know about the durability of the carbon fiber receivers, though.

CleverNickname
February 12, 2004, 05:14 PM
Cavalry Arms (http://www.cavalryarms.com/furniture.html) has been offering several different colors of AR receivers and AR furniture for quite awhile. Even pink. :rolleyes:

Correia
February 12, 2004, 05:21 PM
My daughter wants a pink gun. Who am I to dispute that? :)

Ok manly men, does it really hurt you that Bushmaster is trying to make a pretty gun? :p

Nightcrawler
February 12, 2004, 05:22 PM
Designer handbags? It looks like sand.

Sand appeals to women? Should I start bringing sandbags on dates instead of flowers or chocolate? :o

Steve Smith
February 12, 2004, 05:24 PM
Thinking about having a local tye-dye shop do something with one of my match ARs just to spite you guys.

ShootAndHunt
February 12, 2004, 05:24 PM
And now the Bushmaster also get .308 BAR-10 version too. This is definitely for gentlemen.;)

Skunkabilly
February 12, 2004, 05:26 PM
Hmmm. I kind of like it.

Kind of a neat pattern.

Mulliga
February 12, 2004, 07:48 PM
Metrotactical? That's hilarious. :)

Honestly, the pattern doesn't look all that bad. Might even be decent camo if you need to snipe from a purse store ;).

JShirley
February 12, 2004, 07:51 PM
From what I can see, I like the pattern.

John, the "manly" man

PS- they don't seem to give length of pull, which I would think would be important, considering this arm is marketed towards a smaller shooter

JimJD
February 12, 2004, 09:43 PM
I too, thought it was some sort of desert/sand type camo pattern at first glance.
Hmmm...

That was pretty funny Skunkabilly!
:D

Hey, does it have a cell phone holder too?

artherd
February 12, 2004, 09:51 PM
Kind of sexist, but the gun itself is really cool.

Knife_Sniper
February 12, 2004, 09:55 PM
http://www.bushmaster.com/CoverLady.jpg

Poor bushmaster is having their bandwith chomped on right now.

They could have called it "My First AR15" and marketed it to
three year olds.
I would buy it over a normal Carbon 15 anyday.
Cool desert (mall urban) camo, bling, and super lightweight.

Im not bashing it, I like it.

454c
February 12, 2004, 10:01 PM
Wow.They are just trying to get rid of the "evil black rifle" image.:neener:

Telperion
February 12, 2004, 10:10 PM
I wonder what the former Professional Ordnance guys think of the name change.

Headless Thompson Gunner
February 12, 2004, 10:18 PM
I think my bathroom wallpaper is the same pattern...

That tie-dye AR-15 would be cool, though. I'd buy one.

RTFM
February 13, 2004, 08:50 AM
I'm with Steve on this one. The more people we have enjoying the sport, the better off we all are.
Who cares what color it is!
No one is telling YOU to buy it, but if it entices someone to re-think owning a decent rifle because ot the color/texture/pattern then good for them.
Welcome to the club and enjoy our sport responsibly..

RTFM

Gary H
February 13, 2004, 10:23 AM
I really like my Carbon 15 once it was refurbished by Bushmaster, but none of my other AR's leave me bruised. I have to admit that without a pad, the Carbon 15 will turn my shoulder black and blue. So, I hope the ladys are going to be provided with a shoulder pad with the Carbon 15.

Dorrin79
February 13, 2004, 03:10 PM
I think it's neat!

Although I'm not sure how it "looks like a purse"

:confused:

gbelleh
February 13, 2004, 05:40 PM
Now it looks like a purse!! :D :evil:

Mulliga
February 13, 2004, 05:55 PM
I have to admit that without a pad, the Carbon 15 will turn my shoulder black and blue. So, I hope the ladys are going to be provided with a shoulder pad with the Carbon 15.

"comfortable rubber recoil pad color-coordinated to match the rifle’s decorative pattern." That's right, straight from Bushmaster's own catalog. It's not just ANY recoil pad - it's color-coordinated. I can see it now...

[cue wavy dream effects and harp music]

On the next "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"...

This week, the Fab 5 help a gun nut who needs to coordinate and organize his massive firearms collection - or his wife will throw them all into the garage. Thankfully, Jai is actually a member of Pink Pistols, and as such, we get some helpful advice...

Jai - "This would be perfect. The Bushmaster Lady. Lightweight, great for home defense, and it comes with a chocolate brown carrying case."

[/end QEFTSG parody]

And personally, I'd be surprised if the "Lady" is ever used for crime ;) .

Kamicosmos
February 13, 2004, 06:01 PM
Now it looks like a purse!!

LoL!

Wryfox
February 13, 2004, 10:22 PM
Just wait for the rhinestones and sparkles!;)

seeker_two
February 13, 2004, 10:40 PM
As a color, it's not that bad. Kinda looks like desert sandstone (the rock, not the lipstick:rolleyes: ).

I'd like to see them do a charcoal pinstripe one. That would be a gat that even Capone would love...:evil:

Cthulhu
May 25, 2004, 08:34 PM
We sell these as "Light-Weight Desert" or "Desert Operator" model to appeal the Mall Ninja/Tactical Ted types. Calling them the "Lady" model just doesn't cut it for most of predominantly male customer base. I wouldn't hesitate to pitch them as Bushmaster intended to our female customers, or refer to it as the "Lady" model after the gun is paid for and the 4473 is complete.

At least they work better than the hit or miss Carbon 97 ancestors.

pax
May 25, 2004, 08:50 PM
Hmmmm, not popular with the guys here. *shrug*

Cute matters, remember? ;) This gun is cute.

I had a chance to handle one earlier this week. It is indeed super lightweight and easy to hold. Very appealing to anyone whose muscles are not accustomed to holding a heavier rifle.

I wish they offered it with a shortened stock, as the stock they have on it is slightly too long for my comfort -- and I am the very definition of "average" when it comes to female arm length. Bushy's got a youth stock that'd be good on this gun, but then nothing would match and that'd be depressing.

The finish does not appear to be sturdy enough around the ejection port to hold up to serious and steady use -- the gun I saw already had a few dings in that area.

Similarly, the oval shaped forend is much easier for smaller hands to grasp than the traditionally-round heat shield. The drawback is that it doesn't shed heat very well, so if you're going to want to be doing a lot of fast shooting, this isn't an excellent gun for that.

The butt pad is utterly necessary and matches nicely (yes that matters, stop laughing, guys). It looked a little flimsy and I'm not convinced it would hold up to serious use, but I could be wrong.

Accuracy wise, I don't think it's the best Bushmaster has ever produced. Looked like about 2" at 50 yards, but it could have been an off day.

Trigger was good.

Anyway, if this appeals to a certain segment of beginning shooters -- shooters who might ordinarily be put off by the very idea of an EBR -- it's a Very Good Thing. It is sturdy enough for the casual user, pleasing to the eye, and easy to hold on target.

You can stop laughing now.

pax

natedog
May 25, 2004, 11:28 PM
What?! A "lady" model AR-15 without the (purse) carrying handle? :neener:

S_O_Laban
May 26, 2004, 01:25 AM
Hey... I'm sure you could order a sling...errr shoulder strap for this fine looking tote...

GigaBuist
May 26, 2004, 07:24 AM
Well, I don't think it looks silly. Granted, I haven't had my coffee yet so we'll see what I think in a few hours.

After pax's take on it I'm thinking that with a folding stock option after the AWB sunsets I might just have to get one. Too many women are scared to shoot the typical looking AR-15 I have. Maybe any ultra-lightweight non-black recoil-padded telescoping-stock really is the way to go for lady shooters?

Stasher1
May 26, 2004, 07:12 PM
I don't see why this is so upsetting to some of you. It's just Bushmaster's standard Carbon 15 rifle in another color with a rubber buttpad,,,:confused:

The Type 97 already had the chrome bolt carrier, so the only difference I can see is the nickel plated pins and the Rubber-Maid trash can pattern they've got going on there.

Type 21

http://discountgunner.com/auctionpics/17424.jpg

Type 97

http://discountgunner.com/auctionpics/17425.jpg

Type 97S

http://discountgunner.com/auctionpics/17426.jpg

If changing the color gets more women involved in shooting, I'm all for it. These guns are super light, and even come in pistol models...

They're not the same as the old P.O. Carbon 15. They've been redesigned to address some of the problems with the older version.

SapperLeader
May 26, 2004, 07:59 PM
If they put a better recoil pad on there it would be a awesome gun for smaller statured folk, and those who are bothered by color. I love my ar, but one of the biggest gripe female shooters I know have with it is "Its ugly". Why would i want to shoot that". Anything that brings in new shooters is a good thing. Nuff Said.

DMK
May 26, 2004, 09:12 PM
But what's up with that HUGE handguard? Don't ladies generally have smaller hands? :scrutiny:

pax
May 26, 2004, 09:42 PM
DMK,

The huge handguard isn't huge at all -- it is oval shaped so it looks bigger in the pictures. The shape means it is skinny where the hand meets it, and is much easier for smaller hands to grasp.

pax

DMK
May 27, 2004, 07:45 AM
The huge handguard isn't huge at all -- it is oval shaped so it looks bigger in the pictures. The shape means it is skinny where the hand meets it, and is much easier for smaller hands to grasp Ah! I thought it was round.

Still, I think a slender looking handguard would be more asthetically pleasing. Just my opinion though.

Harry Tuttle
May 27, 2004, 02:03 PM
so faux birdseye maple burl is not yer thing?

it comes in basic black too

If you enjoyed reading about "Carbon 15 is now the Bushmaster "Lady"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!