MTM AR-15- any thoughts?

PDA

Jericho_223
March 7, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hey everyone! I was at a gun show recently in upstate NY and spotted a couple of guys from a company called "MTM Manufacturing", based out of Saratoga Springs, NY. After checking out their site and talking with one of the guys on the phone, it sounds like they make a decent entry-level AR, but I'll admit that I'm kind of a newbie in that respect. Here are the stats:

-16inch barrel with M203 cut
-Magpul Rear BUIS
-Chome-Moly bore
-M4 Carbine Handguards with heatshield
-YHM Aggressive End Comp
-Bayonet Lugs Removed
-M4 Carbine Stock Perm Fixed Open
-Includes One 30rnd Preban magazine

this rifle will run $799. I was told that the lowers are by Aero Precision, and that MTM manufacture the uppers themselves. The rifles seem like a good buy and I strongly believe in supporting local businesses, but I'd like to ask: is there anything I should watch out for? I know a lot of people mention the gas key being properly staked, so I guess I should google that. Can anyone help me out here? Has anyone owned one of these?

If you enjoyed reading about "MTM AR-15- any thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CnRnut
March 7, 2012, 05:32 PM
Good guys.
One is a good friend of mine and the other has been doing
transfers for me for a few years.
I've yet to see a product that Mike didn't put his heart and soul
into.
If I was shopping for a new AR,I'd have no problem dealing with MTM.

Jericho_223
March 7, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hey thanks! Just trying to do my research here, you know? Wouldn't buy a car without doing some research, and I wouldn't treat a rifle any differently! Mike seems like an honest guy, and like I said, I'm a huge believer in supporting American, local businesses! Luckily they'll be at another gun show soon, so I'll have a chance to actually get my hands on one of their rifles!

CnRnut
March 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
You might not have to wait for a show. ;)
I'm not sure if he does "walk-in's" but I can ask my buddy if you like.

Jericho_223
March 7, 2012, 08:20 PM
Well, I'm waiting to see if I can sell one of my rifles right now to partially pay for an AR, but some extra hands on time couldn't hurt! If you wouldn't mind, that would be awesome! Shoot me a PM if you can set something up

If you enjoyed reading about "MTM AR-15- any thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!