Uberti Walker POA vs. POI.

PDA

jphendren
March 8, 2012, 10:39 AM
I took my Uberti Walker out yesterday for the first time since the early 1990's. I had a great time, and was extremely impressed at how much power this revolver has. I was shooting round lead balls (.454") over 47gr of Swiss FFFg. I did not try more as I have read that going over 50gr is hard on the wedge. I noticed that if I lined up the front sight blade with the top edge of the hammer, that the revolver shot 1 foot high at 25 yards. If I dropped the front sight blade down into the very bottom of the rear sight V, then it was only 8-9" high at the same distance. With that knowledge I was able to kill milk jugs at 35-40 yards pretty easily, and soda cans and small water bottles at 25 yards.

Is this pretty typical of all Walkers?

I also have a 2nd generation Colt 1860, and I can't hit the broad side of a barn with that gun, so I'm pretty impressed with the Walker. MUCH more power than the 1860 as well! The 47gr load tears milk jugs to ribbons.

Lastly, the trigger has a bit of creep, is a there anyone who does trigger jobs on these?

Jared

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti Walker POA vs. POI." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigC
March 8, 2012, 11:13 AM
It's typical of most C&B pistols.

4v50 Gary
March 8, 2012, 11:25 AM
Does firing from a galloping horse help correct the POI?;)

jphendren
March 8, 2012, 11:43 AM
"Does firing from a galloping horse help correct the POI?"

I don't believe that I could hit anything of consequence while doing that LOL.

Jared

P.S.

How far away do the targets need to be for the POA to match the POI?

tom e gun
March 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
try shooting further out. i was the same way with my 1860 until recently when the advice of folks here finally popped up in my brain while i was at the range lol
try going out to about 50-75 yards i believe, someone correct me if i am mistaken, but this distance seems more in line with what the C&B sights are ranged for. i still cant seem to hit anything with the walker, im usually too busy grinning like a fool at the smoke and feeling of it :neener:

1KPerDay
March 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
Try flinching more. :D

rcmodel
March 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
try going out to about 50-75 yards i believe, someone correct me if i am mistaken75 sounds about right.

The C&B Colts were first & foremost fighting handguns used by mounted calvery and dismounted infantry.

It was not unusual for solders to engage at longer ranges to keep from getting run over by a horse & a guy with a saber, or stuck by a bayonet.

Probably more of the military old school method of sighting, IE: "aim at the big brass belt buckle" and hit the guy somewhere above that at any range.

rc

jphendren
March 8, 2012, 04:34 PM
"grinning like a fool at the smoke and feeling of it"

Haha. I noticed that it throws up quite a smoke cloud. I normally shoot Colt and USFA SAA's in .45 Colt loaded with black powder, and they do not make nearly as much smoke as the Walker. I noticed that there is nearly no recoil, but quite a loud boom. Also, I fired 40-50 balls yesterday (not exactly sure), and my loading lever never dropped once. My load was only 47gr, it might fall with a heavier load. I would like to try some original Walker Picket balls/bullets just to see how they do. Does anybody sell those, or do you have to cast your own?

Jared

robhof
March 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
The aim for the buckle idea may explain why I've seen at least 3 buckles with bullet impacts form Civil War digs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti Walker POA vs. POI." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!