Dillon AT 500 kit

PDA

sanchezero
January 29, 2003, 08:55 PM
Looking at getting this as an intro. Any experience with it?

What rate of production can a proficient loader put out on a single stage press?

How much does it cost to upgrade this unit to the 550B?

Thanks for your help.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon AT 500 kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mec
January 29, 2003, 11:22 PM
Its a turret press basically- with easy die changes. to go to calibers like the .44 magnum 41 or .45 colt, you have to upgrade it to a progressive. Its shell plate will accomidate most other handgun rounds and it is about as fast as my traditional turret. I can turn out fifty rounds in about 20 minutes stopping to pick things up off the floor and to check things out. I got an early one after meeting the designer, Mark Pixler at a SHOT show and wrote it up for American Handgunner. Been using the press ever since for .45 ACP and .38/357 and like it alot. No parts breakage or any other problems.

Northwest Cajun
January 30, 2003, 10:16 AM
sanchezero,
My 550 started out as an AT500. You can crank them out faster with a 500 then on a single stage. It does cost a little more when you upgrade from a 500 to a 550 than if you would have bought a 550 in the first place. BUT you now have the extra parts that the 500 came with. The multi size shell plate, a full set of brass pins, and most of the expander flow through powder dies.
When I load rifle cartridges ( .223,.308 and 30-06) I load them one at a time with my multi size shell plate. I've even got the extra attachment to add my RCBS uniflow powder measure which is filled with rifle powder. When loading pistol it's strickly a 550 using all 4 stations.
Good luck and have fun

Cajun

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon AT 500 kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!