Smith 327 pc problem

PDA

Ralph G. Briscoe
March 8, 2012, 06:59 PM
The cylinder of my 327pc is far stiffer opening/closing than any of my other Smith revolvers. I practice weak-hand reload, opening the cylinder with right hand only--releasing the catch with my thumb and opening the cylinder with the index finger of my right hand. This is impossible with the 327pc. I've exercised the opening/closing a great deal with no noticeable improvement. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith 327 pc problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stainz
March 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
If it's hard to initiate the opening and finalize the closing - but 'swings' freely otherwise, it's likely the ball detent crane lockup, a feature of most PC revolvers. It's also the nature of the beast, although a drop of oil on the ball detent will soak in after a few opening/closing cycles and may help there. If the cylinder rotates stiffly through it's entire arc, I'd remove it and the yoke (screw forward of the trigger), clean the yoke axle and put one drop of gun oil on your finger tip and wipe it over the cylinder and frame axles before re-assembly. It should spin freely on the yoke while removed from the gun's frame. I hope this helps.

Stainz

BYJO4
March 8, 2012, 08:09 PM
I would call S&W for advise. Since this is a PC model, it should as good or better than any of your other Smiths.

skidder
March 8, 2012, 08:43 PM
You could try loosing the yoke screw. I had a Taurus with a yoke screw that would stop the cylinder from opening if it was seated all the way.

rcmodel
March 8, 2012, 09:29 PM
Duplicate post in gunsmithing.
I answered it there.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=648117

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith 327 pc problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!