How many people out there own JUST ONE firearm?

PDA

Jim NE
March 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm talking about a working firearm, not great-great-grandad's rusty civil war rifle. And talking about owning one gun as a matter of choice rather than financial circumstances.

I'm asking because a lot of people who are starting out in shooting actually believe they'll own only one gun, so I'm curious if there are enthusiasts out there who actually fit that profile. I'm sure there are people who own one gun, I just don't think they would consider themselves gun people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with owning just one gun. In fact, I think minimalism is cool. I suspect most of us are addicts, however. Even when I went through extended periods of non-interest in guns, I owned at least 2 or 3.

Did you ever have a friend or a relative who was into hunting or target shooting who owned just one gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many people out there own JUST ONE firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Beak50
March 8, 2012, 06:54 PM
Any person I know who let's guns in their homes has more than 1.

bigfinger76
March 8, 2012, 06:54 PM
I had only one for years. This thread is sooo 2006.

HarcyPervin
March 8, 2012, 06:55 PM
had one. then I had two. then I had three. then I had more....what the hell is happening?

Jim NE
March 8, 2012, 06:58 PM

:) But you only joined a few days ago!

Sorry if it's redundant. Just curious.

jdub3
March 8, 2012, 07:01 PM
At first, I had one.

NOLAEMT
March 8, 2012, 07:02 PM
Double tap... Sorry!

Larry Ashcraft
March 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
I was always primarily a hunter, so for years I had three; a shotgun, a 22, and a big game rifle.

Dad gave me the 30-06 when I was about 17, so I only had one gun for a few years.

NOLAEMT
March 8, 2012, 07:07 PM
My grandfather owned just one gun up until his death in 2008; a junky RG .38 special with a 4" barrel. He kept it solely for home protection, and had no interest in any other guns.

He was a second world war vet, and I believe saw enough guns and shooting during his time in Italy to last him a lifetime.

He was a physician, and had plenty of money to afford something better, or multiple guns if he was interested, but that RG worked, and he was happy with it.

That gun was simply a tool to protect his family in case of a home invasion, I don't remember him ever even shooting it.

After his death my grandmother, who hated guns, gave it to my brother. The dumb ass pawned it for drug money. Thankfully we were able to get it back, and now it sits in my parents gun safe, it's not worth much of anything, but it has sentimental value to me.

Panzercat
March 8, 2012, 07:25 PM
My arsenal seems forever in a transient state as I buy firearms that I might like and sell them for others that catch my eye. At the moment I am down to a single firearm- an off brand 1911a1 that I thought I'd try -but it'll probably see company soon enough if my usual buying trend continues.

rule303
March 8, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lots of folks own just a deer rifle, or a shotgun for their once a year hunt with their buddies. There is probably a lot of people who own just a handgun for home protection. I doubt you will find many of them here on THR.

bigfinger76
March 8, 2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
But you only joined a few days ago! Sorry if it's redundant. Just curious.

True! But I have read almost every thread here. It's taken years!

smalls
March 8, 2012, 07:53 PM
Currently, I only own one. Technically. I have one my mother loaned me as a HD gun for the wife, and ordering my new one next week.
I bought my first last year, and haven't really had the money for more until now.

larryh1108
March 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
Guns are like potato chips. You can't only have just 1.

My guns use the squared theory. First 1 squared, then 2 squared, then 3 squared until I ended up at 6 squared. For some reason I now feel I need to sell one to buy one. Cost is a factor, shooting them is another (no safe queens) and practical use is another.

Jeff H
March 8, 2012, 08:05 PM
Any person I know who let's guns in their homes has more than 1.

This^^^

My brother just got his 4th gun a couple of weeks ago. For the life of me I can't understand how he only has so few.

MyGreenGuns
March 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
I have one ..

One shotgun
One snubbie revolver
One Semi-auto
One Plinker rifle
One Novelty/Range toy
One Milsurp
One "Bubba" project
One Heirloom keepsake

But since thats 8 total, I dont think thats what you're talking about. :neener:

Fat Boy
March 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
I had only 1 when I first started handgunning in 1977- that was all I could afford-

I still think the concept of "one gun for all purposes" is a realistic approach-

(Fat Boy quietly begins zipping up his flame suit... :)

guyfromohio
March 8, 2012, 08:23 PM
I could easily do just one.... my Sig 239.

Well, I'd need one in the bedroom too. And the car. But the Sig can't take ducks, so I'd need a shotty. Maybe a long-gun for deer too. Range gun.... need a full size 9 to play with. Zombies? Probably should get a semi-auto rifle. .22s are cheaper to shoot. Need one of those. Or two.

Can't do It. Sorry.

9teenEleven
March 8, 2012, 08:30 PM
I went to one handgun after owning about 11 at one time. Seemed silly
To have so many. Usp compact was my favorite so that's it. I do have an SBR with suppressor, but mostly because it would be a giant pita to sell it.

jmorris
March 8, 2012, 08:32 PM
I only have one...after another.

rugernut
March 8, 2012, 08:39 PM
my goal is to own one gun .....for each day of the year

sedona
March 8, 2012, 08:45 PM
My brother only has one.Its a gp100 and i have never seen him shoot it.Hes' had it over 10 years.Must be a genetic defect.

JLCook
March 8, 2012, 08:54 PM
I dont own just one gun, but I always need just one more !

beatledog7
March 8, 2012, 08:56 PM
I owned just one for about 4 months.

bbuddtec
March 8, 2012, 08:57 PM
I inherited my great-aunt's single shot .22 some time ago, it was my only firearm for a couple years... until I started shooting it :D

JohnBT
March 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
The last time I owned one gun was 1958. That was year I got my .22WMR/.410 to go with my BB rifle. That's two, right?

One, two, many.

My mother only had one, a little .32 IJ break-top. My aunt only had one gun, an H&R .32 S&W Long (I guess she wanted more firepower since she lived in downtown Baltimore and worked nights as an RN at Hopkins.) One grandfather only had the IJ .32 he carried. I think that's it for the one-gunners I knew.

My father, uncles, cousins, etc. all had multiple guns.

John

303tom
March 8, 2012, 09:05 PM
I had ONE, 50 years ago...............

Jim NE
March 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
One shotgun
One snubbie revolver
One Semi-auto
One Plinker rifle
One Novelty/Range toy
One Milsurp
One "Bubba" project
One Heirloom keepsake

But since thats 8 total, I dont think thats what you're talking about.

:) At one time, I tried to have only one of each type of gun. It seemed like such an organized and efficient way of collecting.

Unfortunately, I couldn't even restrict myself to to one of each type of gun. Now, my policy is no more guns than I can fit in my smallish safe.

But I've already compromised a little bit. I have three bolt action guns that won't fit into my safe, so I take the bolts out of the guns and put them in the safe and call it good.

mgmorden
March 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
Last time I only owned a single gun I was about 13 years old :). I only owned 3 up until I was in my early 20's though. Now I'm somewhere around 3 dozen :).

22-rimfire
March 8, 2012, 09:13 PM
So far no enthusists here with only one firearm... unless I missed the post.

I started out with a 22 rifle and the focus of my firearm aspirations was strictly for hunting and plinking. That required me to have a 22 rifle, shotgun, and deer/varmint rifle. In reality, I only got the shotgun years later when my small game hunting had trailed off due to moving away from "home". But in my mind, I still needed it "just in case" something changed in my life. I eventually sold that shotgun.

So No, I don't just own one firearm.

The only people I know that are interested in guns and own only one gun are young and starting out. I was younger once and you have to start with ONE.

I would assume that the typical single gun owner is the person who buys a handgun for home defense or as a potential carry gun but aren't particularly interested in guns or shooting them a lot.

Sauer Grapes
March 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
I had 1 gun when I was 7, does that count..lol. Heck, I just picked up another one today.

AlexanderA
March 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
Owning just one gun is like owning just one golf club. Kinda puts a crimp in your game.

hAkron
March 8, 2012, 10:41 PM
Gun are like women, the more the merrier, and don't keep any around that you would feel bad shooting.

hermannr
March 8, 2012, 11:49 PM
I owned only one gun from when I was 12 (.22 cal Matlin 60) until I was 16 when I purchased a (brand new!) Rem 700.

firesky101
March 9, 2012, 01:13 AM
I only need one...

...more. That is what I keep saying anyways.

doc2rn
March 9, 2012, 01:41 AM
I had only one gun for over 17 yrs. A Ruger Standard bought with my b-day money at the Ace Lawnmower and outdoor shop, back when I turned 11. It wasnt until I got out of the military in 2000 and went back to college that my collection started.

Dmitri Popov
March 9, 2012, 02:02 AM
I know lots of folks who only own one, They don't plink or anything, just leave it in the bedroom with a small box of shells, just in case.

cyclopsshooter
March 9, 2012, 03:03 AM
From 12 to 21 I just had a pre-64 94 that my dad gave me. Turned 21, bought a Smith 686 and a few months later a used 70 series Government.. then we were off to the races..

My grandfather owned just one gun up until his death in 2008; a junky RG .38 special with a 4" barrel. He kept it solely for home protection, and had no interest in any other guns.

He was a second world war vet, and I believe saw enough guns and shooting during his time in Italy to last him a lifetime.

He was a physician, and had plenty of money to afford something better, or multiple guns if he was interested, but that RG worked, and he was happy with it.

That gun was simply a tool to protect his family in case of a home invasion, I don't remember him ever even shooting it.

After his death my grandmother, who hated guns, gave it to my brother. The dumb ass pawned it for drug money. Thankfully we were able to get it back, and now it sits in my parents gun safe, it's not worth much of anything, but it has sentimental value to me.

After reading this I realized that I never asked my dad if my grandfather ever had any guns... It damn near makes me want to cry that the info is lost forever..

zdc1775
March 9, 2012, 06:34 AM
I only had one in the house for two years while I was in the military. I did have two more in the BN armory that where mine. And a few back home.

Salmoneye
March 9, 2012, 07:04 AM
I was born with more than one...

knoxy
March 9, 2012, 07:20 AM
My wife thinks I only have one gun. :rolleyes:

303tom
March 9, 2012, 08:43 AM
I was born with more than one...
I bet you are a hit with the women, I only have the one GUN I was born with..............

waterhouse
March 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
I think a huge percentage of gun owners only own one gun. But they aren't likely to join an internet gun forum.

Most of my neighbors are not gun people, but almost all of them own a handgun for protection. Lots of people I run into on the job have only one gun in the house, either something they bought for protection or something that they inherited from a family member.

robb01
March 9, 2012, 09:54 AM
I did for about 2 weeks after I bought my first :)

http://goo.gl/H9XbG

larryh1108
March 9, 2012, 09:58 AM
I think a huge percentage of gun owners only own one gun. But they aren't likely to join an internet gun forum.

I'd say you are right on. I don't think we (forum posters) are "the norm". I guess that makes us abnormal?

JoeMal
March 9, 2012, 10:09 AM
One?! I don't have any at all! That boating accident awhile back put me in the hole! You guys are lucky! :D

Isaac-1
March 9, 2012, 10:10 AM
I have a friend that just owned one, he now owns none (it was a S&W full size frame revolver, either .38 or .357,lost when his house flooded in a hurricane about 6 or 7 years ago). He is gun neutral, but tends to associate with a lot of academic liberal anti gun types (his wife is a college professor). I think he is considering getting one again for home defense, but does not really feel he needs one, not for the typical feeling safe reason, but instead he spent many years when he was in his 20's and 30's fanatically doing martial arts (moving from city to city to study different types). I guess he has a point at close household ranges a sword or a staff (or some exotic nasty looking thing) may have its place if you know how to use them.

Darkbob
March 9, 2012, 12:31 PM
I've had more than one gun since I was seventeen. Although, I did just have those two (shotgun and .22) for about a decade until my collection started expanding. It hasn't stopped expanding yet.

The Lone Haranguer
March 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
For a while I only had one gun, but they soon multiplied. :D

This isn't really a sport or hobby where only one will suffice.

David G.
March 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
I have two, an AR-15 and a Winchester SXP Defender 12 gauge. I'm thinking about selling either my shotgun or my shotgun and my rifle. You see, I'm "only" 21 and am in the Air Force DEP program so I will be going to BMT sometime this spring or summer...

Salmoneye
March 9, 2012, 03:26 PM
I only have the one GUN I was born with..............

You'll shoo'cher eye out...

jdooner
March 9, 2012, 03:33 PM
:)..Good one!

Joe_m107
March 9, 2012, 03:37 PM
When I was 19 I only owned one firearm. For about a week. Then I had two. The first gun I bought was a 12 gauge coach gun. Followed by a Marlin 60. Then a Yugo SKS. Then it just snowballed from there.

My sister only owns one firearm. It's a 9mm pistol. She only has it because I bought it for her. I taught her to shoot it, take it apart, clean it. She uses it for home defense. She shoots it on occasion, but she is not a gun person.

My father also only owns one firearm. It's a Springfield 1911 that I bought him. He wanted one, but couldn't afford it. He is not a gun person either, but wants to learn. When I have time to visit him next, I plan on training him.

I don't think anyone in my family would own a firearm if it wasn't for me. They're not anti gun, just don't have much interest in them. I'm working on that.

460Kodiak
March 9, 2012, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry........ I don't understand the question. It just doesn't make any sense. ;) Now a better question would be how many people buy only one gun a year. :D

ChCx2744
March 9, 2012, 08:03 PM
When I bought my first gun, within that first week of owning it, I felt extremely under-gunned. So I went out and bought a pistol. Then a rifle. Then another pistol. Then...And then...And then...And then...And then...And then......................Yeah :)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many people out there own JUST ONE firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!