.22 Rifles

PDA

Hotshot10
March 8, 2012, 08:21 PM
I'd like to purchase a .22 rifle for some plinking at the range. I've looked at the Browning SA .22 and the CZ 455. Any thoughts on these two (mostly as regards durability; I've shot both) or suggestions on which one to purchase? I'd like to stay around the $600 to $800 range. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepnik
March 8, 2012, 11:38 PM
As a bonafide .22 lr semi auto fanatic, go with the Browning. .22's do not get any better.

ColtPythonElite
March 8, 2012, 11:53 PM
I'd get the 455. They are very accurate right of to the box with good ammo. The trigger is easy to adjust. A shim and spring job will give you a crisp, creep-free trigger in the 2-3 pound range. The job is something an average Joe can do in about 15 minutes....The icing on the cake is can up the accuracy level later down the road by installing a Lilja barrel, which is also a DIY job. Lilja just released their new 455 barrels a few weeks ago.

As far as durability goes, I don't think many semi's are gonna be more durable than a bolt gun.

DM~
March 9, 2012, 10:44 AM
The Brownings are a lightweight great shooting 22's that take down for easy cleaning, storage or travel.... i like mine a lot.

I can't live with the azzbackwards safety on the 455, so i don't own one of those.

The 22 i use more than any other (includeing on my trap line) is a Henry lever. They are a great general purpose 22 for hunting and just plain having fun!

DM

viking499
March 9, 2012, 10:53 AM
I like CZ's. Unless you want the option of changing barrels on the 455, I would try to find a CZ 452 or 453.

BCRider
March 9, 2012, 02:16 PM
If you've shot both and can't decide without our help then the answer is simple and VERY much THR.... You simply need to get both :D

Maybe not right away if the "mad money" won't allow it but adopt getting both as a long term plan. In the meantime both are excellent. If you can't sway yourself one way or the other simply toss a coin.

They are two highly different styles of shooting even though they use the same cartridge. There's days where you want to dump ammo in a fast and accurate manner where only an SA will do the job. Then there will be other days where you will enjoy the pace, accuracy and need to handle the rifle bolt to actually chamber each round.

If the Browning SA you're looking at is a tube magazine I think I'd want to look at something with a removable box instead. I don't mind loading tube magazines but they DO take a bit longer. And for me part of the fun of an SA option is to have a half dozen or so magazines loaded and just switch them out on the fly rather than pause to reload a tube style magazine. Preloaded tubes speeds this up a lot but it's still quite the pause needed to draw out the magazine plunger and pour in the tube of ammo compared to just droping and snapping in a fresh box magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!