Measure throw on lock with missing flintcock?

PDA

Ryden
March 9, 2012, 06:06 AM
I've bought a lot of old flintlocks and parts and I got a Brown Bess lock that I'd like to restore.

There are a couple of flintcocks with different throws to choose from when ordering so how do I know which one to get?

The throw ought to be related to the distance between the center of the nut and the center of the pan or something.

http://i41.tinypic.com/k4v04k.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Measure throw on lock with missing flintcock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 9, 2012, 05:37 PM
From "Americanlongrifles.com", section entitled "The quality Flintlock by Jim Chambers" :
Cock throw (the distance from the center of the square tumbler hole to the lower jaw) – this distance should be equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the center of the tumbler hole to the face edge of the closed frizzen.

rc

Ryden
March 12, 2012, 04:23 AM
Thanks RC!

If you enjoyed reading about "Measure throw on lock with missing flintcock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!