I did it...

PDA

xxxleafybugxxx
March 9, 2012, 10:11 PM
After all the talk, I decided to purchase the Polish Tantal today from JG. Couldn't resist the price.
I'll post pictures and range results after I get to check it out!

If you enjoyed reading about "I did it..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xxxleafybugxxx
March 9, 2012, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know where I can find good bakelite mags that will work for this rifle?

wasr10634unme
March 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
was that the 399.99 one? i was thinking bout the same rifle but may get another 7.62x39. not sure about bakelites but sgammo has 2000 rounds for 299.99 last i checked

M1key
March 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Any '74 mags will work. You should have picked up some of those Bulgarian polymer mags at JG or even some steel Tantals. Last time I bought some they were ~$17 and I have seen the Bakelites going for at least twice that.

RGUNS is another source for mags.

M

GCMkc
March 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
They seem to be out! Let's hope your rifle is good to go and no keyhole probs.

xxxleafybugxxx
March 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
GC thanks.
Im feeling pretty confident. The sales rep told me when I asked about the key holing it was the barrel issue you hear people talking about. He said this problem was fixed
. He also assured me thay if there's an issue, I have 30 days to send it back. From everything I've read, if your tantal doesn't suffer from one of these main issues, then its a GREAT rifle. Ill let you guys know more!

Sam Cade
March 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know where I can find good bakelite mags that will work for this rifle?

There are no Bakelite AK74 magazines. While there are several non-metal bodied magazines that work with a 5.45 rifle none of them are actually made of Bakelite.

Impact has steel magazines for your rifle at the price of $20.
http://www.impactguns.com/tantal-88-30-rd-magcal-545x39mm-ma1449.aspx

xxxleafybugxxx
March 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
So what are the orange mags I see for the 74?

Sam Cade
March 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
So what are the orange mags I see for the 74?

Glass reinforced polyethylene dyed orange.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene

Bakelight is a whole 'nother critter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Gunnerboy
March 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Them steel mags are nice but they rust, the bulgarian brown mags are my personal favorite, i have 5 and counting.

bri
March 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Check the EE over on arfcom for "bakelite" mags, akfiles has a good market as well.

alman
March 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
Good for you man ! Nothing like the anticipation of getting a new gun.............

axeman_g
March 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
good for you. I picked up a SAR2 a few weeks ago and I could not be happeir. NO RECOIL... None. And that mech throws the brass about 20ft away. Ha... good accuracy so far, but really was just function testing with Wolf Ammo. I picked up 2000rd of suplus also for storage.
Mine came with an ultimak rail on it and this gun is screaming for Aimpoint T1 Micro or a Burris Fast Fire on that forward rail.

I am happy... I hope you will be also. I look forward to hearing your review and results.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm waiting on my Interarms Tantal right now. Should be coming in the middle of next week.

If you enjoyed reading about "I did it..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!