First scope, first impressions and ?'s

PDA

bandk
March 10, 2012, 12:12 AM
Greetings,

I've sighted in my first sight (ever), a 2.5x32 on our 357 Marlin lever action.
I had some great help from the sportsman club I visited. They checked my install and did a bore sight zero. Next, at 50 yards, I started to zero and was very impressed with the accuracy. At 100 yards, I needed minimal change to zero. While I am happier with accuracy than irons for sure, I feel that my accuracy would improve with that rifle by using even more magnification.

Would a fixed 4x be reasonable for this caliber rifle? I see the 357 lever as a 50-100 yard tool. Other suggestions?

Also, would the 2.5x scope be a good repurpose option for my 10/22? I have a tech-site on it currently and particularly like its simplicity and accuracy at 50yards but wonder if the 2.5 would add much to extend accurate range.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "First scope, first impressions and ?'s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
March 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
I think the 2.5 is perfect for the Marlin, for the ranges it was built to hunt with that gives you a very wide field of view and enough magnification to be useful. If you're going to do target shooting or rodent hunting I would put at least a 4x on the .22.

jim243
March 10, 2012, 12:28 AM
I can't tell you what to use, but my 10/22 sports a 4-16x40mm replaced the 3-9x40 I had on it. Only for target shooting, I don't hunt with it. The 2.5 is perfect for the Marlin.

Jim

bandk
March 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Leaving "good enough" alone is fine with me.

Fremmer
March 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
I think a fixed 4x or 6x would be a lot more effective at 100 yards, but that's a matter of personal preference I guess. 2x isn't much magnification, and if you're going to scope it, you might as well have enough magnification to really make a difference at longer range.

Stick with the smaller objective, a larger objective will look and feel clunky on that rifle.

hardluk1
March 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
What caliber ,30-30" If or when you change scopes think about how and where you will hunt. A 2-7 or 3-9 make for a good choice for your rifle . I hunt lots of bottoms with a 308 and never felt over scopes with a 2.5-10. Nice to now you can pick a line true the branchs for a longer shot in a thick bottom with a 4 to 6 power setting and still reach out to 200 yards in a field set at 9 power. My first scope was a 2.75 redfield from around 1974. Still have it but it has been on a shelf for most of these years.

If you enjoyed reading about "First scope, first impressions and ?'s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!