Primer Problems?

PDA

SSGDave
March 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
Firing my M4 today, getting ready for quals, and suddenly 3 rds went off while the rifle was on safe, Each As they Chambered.
Immediately took the magazine out, checked to see if something was stuck on bolt face (Nada) then disassembled the rifle to see if something was jammed into other areas-nothing.
changed mags-no issues.
finally, i looked at the brass-ALL 3 rds that did that have a HOLE in the middle of the primer, blown Outwards.
Am i correct in my belief that these weren't fully seated primers and went off because of that? rifle is sound, issue didnt' happen again...
That's the only thing i can think of.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Problems?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Are these reloads?

rc

BSA1
March 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Sounds like stuck firing pin. Check the firing pin spring and clean the channel.

rcmodel
March 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
AR-15's don't have firing pin springs.
They are free-floating, and make a light ding in every primer of every round when it feeds into the chamber. That is one reason military primers are harder then some commercial primers.

They are also mechanically retracted when the bolt unlocks and telescopes out of the bolt carrier.
That makes it impossible for them to stick in the bolt unless they are broke in two.

The reason I ask if these are reloads is, because if you reload GI brass and don't get all the GI crimp removed from the primer pockets?
You have to smash the primers to get them seated, and that makes them more sensitive and prone to slam-fires like the OP ask about.

rc

Roadkill
March 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
Are these reloads?

A test for high primers is to set them on a mirror. If they wobble or sit crooked then they have high or not completely seated primers.

Flintknapper
March 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
If reloads what primer (Federal?).

Possibly "high primers" (not seated fully).

Check your firing pin for chips or erosion.

"Slam Fires" can happen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Problems?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!