Purchasing first firearm...Anyone tried the new Walther P22 with integrated laser?

PDA

mommyof2
March 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
I am looking to purchase my first gun and really like the Walther P22 to get started with. Just looking to get the basics down and use for target practice. Has anyone purchased the P22 with integrated laser that was released in January of this year? Want to know how you like or dislike this model...thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Purchasing first firearm...Anyone tried the new Walther P22 with integrated laser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BIGGBAY90
March 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
The only person that would know if they like it is you. We all have different taste in guns, ammo and the like. So go to the shop and see how it feels in your hand then try another one and see then you can choose the right one for you. The walther is a great gun but thats just my thought--good luck and :neener:WELCOME TO THR:neener:

19&41
March 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
The other day I saw a Thread about the Ruger SR22. It appears to be in the same genre as the one you are considering and has replaceable grip inserts to alter the size of the grip. You might also do a web search on each pistol to get a broad variety of reviews.

mommyof2
March 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Thank you so much for replying! So here's the story...Done tons of research on many makes and models. 19&41: Regarding the SR22...very similar (as far as I can tell) and both have the interchangeable grips...def. considered that as well, but then saw the integrated laser and switched modes a bit. As far as my experience in trying and firing...my first experience was a week and a day ago, with a full auto SAW...then a 9mm something:)...since then I have shot off a full auto SCAR (Decided full autos are fun but probably not something I need for purposes intended:D) I did rent a few different types and calibers for the purpose of trying before I buy...from 9mm semi autos to 38 revolvers and of course a couple 22 cals...not many, but enough to know I do want to start with .22 cal. and tho I did not get to fire the P22, I did hold one...liked the feel and features (especially that the grip wasn't so boxy...very form fitting). I am pretty small and petite, but do want a firearm that isn't only comfortable but that I can fully grip (no hanging pinky)...so the mini and many of the compact sizes do not fit the bill. Initially, I just wanted the straight P22 but now that I have seen the one with the integrated laser, I have reconsidered my decision. I have seen a ton of reviews on the straight up P22 but zero on the new model with laser...want to know if its accurate?...can it be holstered?...in general, any likes or dislikes. Since I pulled my first trigger (and the fact that I started a working PT job a week ago (Been a homemaker for 5 years and needed a little something for myself, a few hrs a week:) at a GUN RANGE of all places, hearing the constant plinking around:p) I have been so anxious to get my very own gun...but I want to make a good choice as well. I am up for suggestions of other types of guns as well...thanks and sorry for the extended reply:banghead:

browningguy
March 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
We have a P22 with laser and my daughter loves to shoot it. Reasonably accurate for target shooting, light wieght, no recoil of couse, and most importantly it goes bang every time. We've had no failures with it of any kind.

hogshead
March 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
The p22 I owned had a Walther laser mounted on the picatinney rail but it was at least 3 years ago when I had it. So I am not sure its the model you are talking about. It shot fairly good but not great IMHO. They are a good entry level gun and I would probably have liked it better if I had smaller hands but it was way to little for my hand. No malfunctions of any kind while I had it.

fish2xs
March 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
I have owned a P22 for years and I rarely shoot it. It's a major PITA to take apart and clean. Maybe it's changed, but it spends a lot of time in the safe.

danez71
March 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
Mommyof2

Chances are in just a bit there will be twentyeleven people saying the P22 is not worth common mud because 1) of the zinc alloy/pot metal construction and 2) because of its realiability.

Personally, I would believe about 65% to maaaaybe 75% of it.

I shot a friends for about 300 rounds and the only jams I had were ammo related and it was many at all. However, there are a lot of reports of far worse reliability.

The construction.... There are reports of 50,000 rounds through it before major service and there are reports of just after a few thousand needing major service.

My wife really liked it and she is not a shooter... if fact, she has been generally nervous of guns up until just a few years ago. I wont say her age (I know better than that!) but I will say she is still a looker IMO well into her 40's :eek: Uh-Ohhhhh. Did I type that out loud ?:uhoh:

Anyways... my take is this. The Ruger SR22 is very similar in looks, feel, and size. Its constructed much better but its only been out for a few months really.

But its a Ruger... they build quality and they've been doing .22lr stuff very well for a looong time.

The interchangeable grip is quite a bit different than the P22. The Ruger grip is a sleeve that completely slides off the grip frame. Chances are someone is already developing a slip on grip sleeve with integrated laser to retro fit the Ruger. Either that or I just someone a great idea.

Personally, I wouldnt make the integrated laser of the Walther P22 the deciding factor. Its kind of like making heated seats the deciding factor when buying a car.

I bought the Ruger SR22 because of the reasons above (not the laser idea). I believe SR22 is a better value every way you look at it.

You could add a laser later if you really wanted to just like the Walther P22 people have been doing before that option was availible on the P22 or enjoy it 1st and see if I'm right with the slip on grip sleeve with integrated laser.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

19&41
March 10, 2012, 11:15 PM
Here is an extra source of info with threads from those who own and use the P22. I haven't any experience with either pistol, having just purchased a Ruger MkIII and CT Lasergrips for it. But I hope this will help you choose.

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-semi-auto-pistols-forum/

RaceM
March 11, 2012, 12:20 AM
A friend of mine recently got one. Neat little gun and no malfunctions (yet) but as Fish stated it's a pig to reassemble after field stripping, requiring a recoil spring guide tool (supplied with the gun) to keep from buggering up the spring. I'd pass on it.

NG VI
March 11, 2012, 01:03 AM
It may pay to save up a hair longer and get a CZ Kadet. It's a very high quality pistol, and the Kadet and regular 9mm 75 are built on the same frames, so at some point in the future you could see about ordering a 9mm top end and magazines from one of the CZ enthusiast companies.

It's an outstanding .22, very reliable, accurate, the CZ frame feels sooooo nice, very rounded, and the triggers smooth up very well as you shoot them. Nice sights on the Kadet too.

taraquian
March 11, 2012, 01:28 AM
I have a P22 that i bought to teach my wife and kids basic pistol skills with, its great and has become one of MY favorites to shoot. They are finicky about ammo (my 2 are). I would not worry about the integrated laser as lasers are not really part of the basics, and they are easy to add later.

FROGO207
March 11, 2012, 08:48 AM
^^^^^I agree. I have a 5 year old one with the shorter barrel and laser on the rail. It fits the hand well, is lite, and fairly accurate. BUT is REALLY picky with the ammo it likes. Only thing mine will fire without major problems is the Winchester Super-X gray box. Anything else has large problems with extraction. Even using the Win ammo I will need to clean it every 30 rounds or it stops working.:fire: Its been sent back to the factory twice and they say it functions fine and shoots any ammo they feed it well.:scrutiny: All of my Rugers will eat anything I feed them and work well for many hundreds of rounds without cleaning. You may get a great P22 and love it. Me, I would think twice about that particular model. BTW I own more than 25 autoloading .22 pistols and that P22 is the worst one I own as far as function. I own a Jennings J 22 that is more reliable!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Purchasing first firearm...Anyone tried the new Walther P22 with integrated laser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!