Range Rage!

PDA

loose noose
March 10, 2012, 08:58 PM
Well today I went down to our local range out here in Laughlin. Note it's on BLM land and it used to be Las Vegas Metro Range. Now they use the Park Rangers range near Lake Mohave. So with permission from the BLM, most locals use that local range. It is a first come first serve situation. Well I got out there at sun up around 0630, set up my bench, dropped off my target, used my range finder to determine distance, set up spotting scope, and set up my cronograph. Got my rifle out of my truck and proceeded to load it with some new loads I had been developing. Well to make a long story short, I was able to shoot about 5 rounds, and this idiot comes driving up and parks right in my line of fire. Need less to say, I put the rifle down on the bench, walked over to the guy, and inquired what he was doing, informing him he was in my line of fire. He informed me "that we have to share" and that he had a bunch of other guys coming over to shoot, and he had to save a place. I explained to him I was testing some rounds and they could have the whole range in about a half hour; meanwhile could you move over and let me shoot. To which he replied "No" in no uncertain terms. Well I packed all my gear back in my truck, drove down and picked up my target getting all the more angry. As I passed him and a few of his so called friends, I said "I'll bet none of you guys are NRA members", and they all laughed. Well I said I figured that cause you're all Adam Henrys, except I used the other word. I then drove off very slowly, still steaming. Thanks for letting me vent my feelings:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Rage!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
March 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
Were you shooting down the road?

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
If he was on the range and didn't call "clear" you could have kept shooting, no?

(I know I'm going to get yelled at for that one)

ObsidianOne
March 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
This is exactly why I find a nice quiet spot in the desert. Too many inconsiderate and unintelligent individuals. I mean really, who parks in a firing range? Were you shooting when he pulled up? Lucky he didn't get a flat tire, experimental rounds you know, sometimes they just go in strange directions down range.

Mac Attack
March 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
Anger and guns don't go well together. You did the right thing by leaving. Sure it would have been satisfying to shoot a few rounds though the guys truck window or over the hood but it could have really escalated in a bad way. You did the right thing.

loose noose
March 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
I've shot out there at least a 100 times, and never had a problem with anyone. I had just shot 5 rounds and was looking thru my spotting scope when this guy pulled up, about 50 yards directly in front of my shooting bench. You usually know ever body that shoots out there as this is a small community, but that idiot I have no idea who he was. I thought when I first got out there what a beautiful day, no wind, not another soul here, thought I had the range all to myself, yeh, right! Next time I'm going to go down about a quarter mile from that range and set up, that's secluded desert.:rolleyes:

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
You have to be a total idiot to pull your truck right in front of someone shooting. I think I would have got the authorities involved with someone that dangerous.

rcmodel
March 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Once years ago I was shooting a 22-250 prone off sandbags doing some load testing.
A truck drove up and stopped just a few feet behind me, so I told him I was going to continue shooting so watch his ears.

Then just as I was squeezing off the next round, the hounds of hell came unchained right over my head!

The guy in the truck rolled down the window and shot my target with a 7mm Mag right over me!!

It just goes to show, you can't fix stupid!
So you just need to stop doing whatever it is, and watch out for stupid at all times.

rc

vtuck2
March 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
I get angry just reading this stuff. I can only imagine how much effort it took y'all to maintain self control.

I used to have a tee-shirt that read "The more acquainted I get with mankind... the more I love my dog".

Best to all.

V

ObsidianOne
March 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
I used to have a tee-shirt that read "The more acquainted I get with mankind... the more I love my dog".

Mark Twain :D

vtuck2
March 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
Why thank you! I never knew the source!

V

hogshead
March 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
You guys are a lot nicer than me.

armoredman
March 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have the "lite" version, "the more I meet people the more I like my dog."
I know the feeling, but I have never had anything as blatant as the two examples cited above, YIKES!

ArchAngelCD
March 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Once years ago I was shooting a 22-250 prone off sandbags doing some load testing.
A truck drove up and stopped just a few feet behind me, so I told him I was going to continue shooting so watch his ears.

Then just as I was squeezing off the next round, the hounds of hell came unchained right over my head!

The guy in the truck rolled down the window and shot my target with a 7mm Mag right over me!!

So you just need to stop doing whatever it is, and watch out for stupid at all times.

rc
Someone actually had the gall to shoot over you and from behind you. IMO that could be considered an assault and if that happened to me I would be answering questions from the local police.

drsfmd
March 10, 2012, 11:05 PM
There's a reason why people join organized gun clubs...

jcwit
March 11, 2012, 12:23 AM

Absolutely. With rules posted and the authorities called if need be.

ArchAngelCD
March 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
But for some of us there aren't any gun clubs around or the ones that are around have a long waiting list or are too expensive to join. In my case there are no private clubs anywhere near me but for one that has a 10 year waiting list.

ObsidianOne
March 11, 2012, 12:42 AM
But for some of us there aren't any gun clubs around or the ones that are around have a long waiting list or are too expensive to join. In my case there are no private clubs anywhere near me but for one that has a 10 year waiting list.

Or for people like myself who don't like to shoot around people that I don't know.
Thankfully I have a large Arizona desert only a few miles away :)

ExTank
March 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
The more range stories I hear and read about, the more thankfull I am for August A. Busch. He set up a wildlife conservation area managed by Missouri's DNR, including a pretty nice firearms range (skeet/trap, shotgun pattern board, and a combined use handgun & rifle range), managed by Range Safety Officers.

At $3/hour to shoot (and they will limit you to an hour if it's busy, which it almost always is if the weather is even halfway decent), it's quite the bargain. They may not let you shoot man silhouette, or rapid fire (tactical) to practice self-defense scenarios, but the range safety is excellent bar none.

Otto
March 11, 2012, 12:47 AM
You did the right thing by packing-up and leaving.
Range slobs who don't respect common courtesy rarely follow basic safety rules either. Karma will catch up with them sooner or later.

taraquian
March 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
Our little range here is usually great at both safety and manners however about a month ago some 19-20 yr old mall ninjas came down with decked out keltec carbines. One of them hada strobe blinder on and it keptturning on while he was firing, Iasked him about it and he points his weapon at me and activates the blinder. I was more in shock than blinded but realized I had drawn my pistol and quickly put it away. Thankfully they left quickly and I have not had to share the range with them since.

35 Whelen
March 11, 2012, 03:10 AM
If he was on the range and didn't call "clear" you could have kept shooting, no?

After that type of interaction, that EXACTLY what I would've done.

35W

InfamousLegend
March 11, 2012, 03:22 AM
Someone acts like that much of an ass parking in front of you, I would have to restrain myself just to not put a few rounds down range anyway. I would find it very difficult to fight the urge. Today I went shooting and everyone on the line stopped shooting to reload, some kids that just pulled up figured lets walk out and set up some targets without saying anything. My step dad said that's a great way to get shot.

Then Someone pulled up with a browning 1919 machine gun with a semi auto conversion, that was fun to shoot. He said he had a .50 sniper rifle, and ended up leaving not much later to cook the wife some dinner. We left shortly after him and I noticed him driving back but didn't turn around, now I think I missed out on shooting a .50 Cal.

blarby
March 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
Ahhhh, good ol range rage.

I applaud your restraint.

Look at it this way : A display of such lofty and profound intelligence is very indicative of a lifespan of a similar measure.

You did the right thing.

Stupid ( or in this case, perhaps an alarming lack of common sense, not necessarily outright stupidity ) has a way of catching up to folks.... Especially when weapons are concerned.

Whilst its fun for all of us to wax ecstatic about the should haves and could haves involving righteous testosterone and expanding gases....advocating and promoting such within these hallowed walls is beneath us.....many of you should know better already.

Personally I don't feel the need to imagine publicly how great it would feel to be the blade that snips such chaff from the gene pool... Time is a sharper knife than I shall ever posses.... and that gentlemans' groups are tighter than any of us could ever hope for.

MyGreenGuns
March 11, 2012, 05:59 AM
Its a good thing that most gun folk are not violent. Or this would not have ended well for him(the jerk).

My brain had a little flash of shooting over/thru his truck and finishing your sight-in if he had cleared the line of fire. "Hey! Dont get mad at me guy, I thought you left it out there to BE shot at!"

OP: good job keeping a cool head (more recent post reminded me to say that)

FROGO207
March 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
Some months ago I was shooting in a large sand pit at a target about 200 YD away from a portable bench. So a couple of ATV's arrive from an area behind me drive up even with my bench, observe me for a few seconds then head down range towards my target area. First they run over the target and then proceed to drive up the hillside and over the top turning around somehow and back down the slope. Then they proceeded to ride around the pit back and forth in front of me crossing my previous line of fire multiple times. Then they started to go up the hill and proceeded to repeat the whole thing again. This happened the whole time as I was picking up my stuff and as I drove off. The two appeared to be one male and one female in their mid to late teens. This was in an old abandoned pit that a LOT of people use for target shooting and other various things without problem everyday even though when asking others I have met there nobody seems to know who the owner is. I have been there many times since and never encountered anything like it again. If the ATV riders were there to represent the landowner for any reason this was a poor way to do it IMHO. I have since asked several contractors in the area if they owned the pit or if they had any info about who owned it and nobody seems to have any idea. I feel the ATV riders were there same as I was and did not want to share the area. BTW this was a Tuesday in OCT about 10 AM and not a holiday so they should normally have been in school I would think.

ultradoc
March 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
man that bites!!

Gtimothy
March 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
You did the right thing for sure! Unfortunately there are WAY too many lawyers who would have been foaming at the mouth if you HAD given in to the temptation to fire one "across their bow"! It really is a shame it happened but you showed that you are the more responsible shooter! Darwin will catch up to this guy sooner or later and hopefully he won't take any innocent bystanders with him!

nathan
March 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
Yeah yahoos abound even in busy public ranges with range officers around. How much more in unregulated public shooting ranges. One time i was at Carters Country and this guy at my left side shot my target once the okey to shoot was warned. I told him you just shot my target and he said, No i didnt. He was using a SW 500 revolver which makes big holes. My gun was only a 22 . I think he was trying to intimidate and prove he has a big gun . I moved my stuff to another stall after that.

Ringolevio
March 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
blarby
Ahhhh, good ol range rage.
I applaud your restraint.

I beg to differ, blarby . "Restraint" would have been if the OP had [B]not uttered the "A.H." remark.

There are times when it has to be enough just to think something, but not say it.

josiewales
March 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Tell him him to get the :cuss: off the rang or you will test your rounds in his truck. I will probably get bawled out for that too.:rolleyes:

nathan
March 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
If someone shoots from behind me , that is pure threat to my safety and clear sign of intimidation. Always have your CHL weapon ready if worse come to worse. People who do this kind of stuff have no qualms whatsoever, either they have criminal backgrounds or pure dumbs.

RetroMan
March 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
This is why I joined a small club and lock the gate behind me when I go in.

nathan
March 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
I would add, these yahoos could be taking some form of drugs and have no sense of right and wrong. They are time bombs to say the least. If they see you have a nice expensive gun at hand, they might just pull the trigger on you in cold blood. The best way is find a gun club or a secure place to shoot. Nowadays its no longer safe .

gym
March 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
I would have said well I'm going to continue shooting, and try not to hityour truck. But since you put it in a position to block my target I hope I can get those rounds not to hit it. And since you were in the act of shooting already he is in the wrong and must suffer the consequences of being a stubborn axxxxle. I also would have called the local sherriff and explained that there was a situation where somone pulled vechicle between you and the target you had been using, I'm sure they would have enjoyed screwing with this guy

loose noose
March 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
Archangel, has it right, I used to belong to a gun club in Kingman, as well as the one in Lake Havusu, both were excellent ranges, but the closest one was in Kingman which was 40 miles away, this range is about 2 miles away and therefore a lot more convenient: However, next time I'm going about a quarter mile or so down the road and set up, as I'll have the same distances to shoot, and I've yet to see another shooter out that far, the road gets pretty rough, so lets hope I don't get stuck.

Loosedhorse
March 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
The OP's implication that this situation is analogous to "road rage" is spot on. We have a public space that two people are trying to use simultaneously, with one being rude and refusing to obey the rules of the road. Real risk of escalation, and if that happens, risk of injury, death, jail.

The OP did the hard, right thing: zipped his lip and left. We should (seriously) recognize him as a shining example.

My only regret is that apparently there is no LE to call on this bum. I have found 911 an essential element in dealing with road ragers...

With the only more important ingredient being calm disengagement, as the OP so terrifically demonstrated!

Manson
March 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Ya know loose you just have to take comfort in the fact that stupid usually catches up with folks. And when stupid with guns catches up it's usually pretty nasty.

wally
March 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Not knowing all the details, this looks like an inherently unsafe situation with multiple shooters and no clearly defined firing line that NO ONE is allowed in front of when the line is hot!

Trunk Monkey
March 11, 2012, 05:10 PM

That's not stupid in my world that is a blatant threat

I would have said well I'm going to continue shooting, and try not to hityour truck. But since you put it in a position to block my target I hope I can get those rounds not to hit it. And since you were in the act of shooting already he is in the wrong and must suffer the consequences of being a stubborn axxxxle.

Wow, just wow

Maybe it's me but I would think that any situation in which firearms are involved is a situation that calls for the utmost in restraint.

A person that is willing to instigate trouble with me when he knows I armed is not some body I want to be measuring manhood with.

sig228
March 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
"I'll bet none of you guys are NRA members"

Good one! ;)

gamestalker
March 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
I live in az. so finding a private shooting spot is as easy as it gets. I'm sick and tired of range idiots endangering my life mostly, but rude and ethically challenged individuals are a good part of the problem also. I think I would have been tempted to put one in the engine block, and then just call it an accidental discharge.

whalerman
March 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Get license numbers and vehicle descriptions and give that information to the police. You did the right thing.

XD Fan
March 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Unbelievable! I sometimes shoot at an unsupervised public range, but I almost always go at daylight and get a couple of hours to myself. My daughter and I have been heading out to the deep and lonely wilderness areas lately. Takes a while to get there, but so much fun to just be by ourselves.

Ky Larry
March 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
You can have a gun. You can have a temper. You can't have both. You did the right thing by leaving the area. People like this will run into the wrong person someday and a little Clorox will be put into the gene pool.

nathan
March 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Id say the one that fired over your head was taking some form of meth. These individuals have no qualms to pull the trigger on anyone. Watch your six on those farflung areas and bring along a semi rifle close by in case SHTF. You can never be so careful if its a pubic free range. Lots of druggies, crackheads, dopeheads, ex-cons, or what not.

briankolakowski
March 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
Well in my neck of the woods we have back yards... and if thats not long enough you go to a field lol... i shoot my 38 in my yard and my 30-06 in the field beside it.. and for some reason i dont think im spelling that right lol o well. Field,feeld,felt wats the difference

HankB
March 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
I've run into jerks at the range, but not as bad as some have described. I would not have cussed out an idiot parking in front of me on public land, just left . . . anything else might have escalated out of my control.

On the other hand, someone in back shooting over or alongside me would have resulted in police involvement.

99.9% of shooters are good folks, but there ARE some bad apples out there. I'm reminded of the experience of a former colleague who had some woodland he hunted on . . . one day he drove up there and found his gate lock cut off, and a couple of pickups parked on his dirt track. Cautious scouting showed deer hunters in his tree stands on his land.

He didn't confront them . . . but since their vehicles were unattended, well, let's just say I understand they had a long walk back to town. (This was before cell phones were common.)

alsaqr
March 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
I would add, these yahoos could be taking some form of drugs and have no sense of right and wrong. They are time bombs to say the least.

Bingo!!
Time bombs is right. Meth users are especially sensitive time bombs: A person who uses meth can go off any time. OK has many thousands of them.

JTHunter
March 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
ExTank - I've shot that range too but I liked the old MoBottom range as they had 200 yard set-ups. When it got flooded out in 93, it never really came back. The MO. Benchrest Club was next door (even closer to the river) but they moved out to Wright City and set up a REALLY good range. I am not aware of any improvements they might have made in the last 15 years but they did have some lanes set up for 600 yards/meters when they first opened up in 1995.

JTHunter
March 12, 2012, 01:22 AM
As a suggestion to those of you that have had some really serious problems (ATV's, the 7mm, the intruding truck), considering the pervasive prevelance of CAMERAS these days, how about starting the recorder as soon as you hear someone approaching. This way you will have both a video and audio recording for possible range/police use.
Don't know how much use it might be but "ya never know"!

doc2rn
March 12, 2012, 01:51 AM
I think I would have been tempted to put one in the engine block, and then just call it an accidental discharge.

Stalker and I have the same thought process only I would pack up and move unilatterally far enough away. Then waited for them to start blasting so as to disguise what happened. Those darn ricochettes! (Flame suite on)

GLOOB
March 12, 2012, 04:24 AM
I was kinda surprised the other day, shooting in the mountains. I have a favorite spot, well up the mountain, which is kinda small. Whenever I pull up to the spot, and someone else is there, I always assess if there's room for the both of us. If it looks ok, I introduce myself and ask them if they mind. 50/50, they immediately say I'm welcome or that they're just finishing up. Or they hesitate, whereupon I quickly offer a "np" and drive on to find another spot.

Well, I was out there unloading my gear with 3 friends. There was a lot of gear. Had set up a box with a target and a bunch of shotgun hulls. While getting the guns out and the chairs set up, I notice a car pulls up slightly behind and about 12 yards to the right of my own. Four guys come out of the car, one of 'em carrying an SKS with a banana mag already in it. They don't make eye contact, at all. Great. I turn around to find my ears.

About 10 seconds later he's ratta-tatting rounds at nothing in particular. No eyes, and I dunno if they even had ears in. But we sure didn't. :cuss: It was like they were practicing for a drive-by. Despite the 4 of us all immediately covering our ears, the guy manages to finish his entire mag, undisturbed by our presence.

10 minutes later, they drive off. They drove all the way out there to blast 1 mag each, at nothing in particular.

I didn't say anything to them, nor even offer a glare. It honestly looked like they just didn't know any better, and by the looks of them, I wasn't even sure they spoke English. They looked to be recently immigrated, to put it politely. Once we got our ears on, no problem. We just minded our own business.

Frogomatik
March 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
waiting lists?...for gun clubs?...wait, what?

ghoster
March 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
When morons invade I generally decide to sight in the 460. It will generally ruin their day, especially because I use my electronic muffs so I can hear when their talking and dont have their ears on :D

With complete idots I employ another tactic that plays to my dark side; I inherited a 500 nitro and if you have ever fired one of these sweet little toys you will understand when I say that I fire it about "ONCE" a year and NOT because it costs about $20.00 a round. I always bring it when I go to play with my toys "not sure why" but I like to talk it up as a fun and awsome gun to the idots so one will eventually want to shoot it.

It is always very amusing, generally have to catch the gun and they always leave soon afterwards :evil:

ZeSpectre
March 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have a digital camera that will record up to 2 hours continuous video.
I have a Voice recorder that will record up to 30 hours continuous audio.

For quite some time now I have been setting the camera on the dash of my vehicle pointed at the range while I shoot and the voice recorder sits in my range bag near where I'm shooting...both are running.

So far I've never needed the record of events but there was one close call with a drunk guy who showed up out of the blue.

But basically, KUDOS to the OP for packing it up and leaving. Anything else could have cost about $10,000 to start (in legal fees) and possibly a whole lot more than that.

EvilGenius
March 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
blarby

I beg to differ, blarby . "Restraint" would have been if the OP had [B]not uttered the "A.H." remark.

There are times when it has to be enough just to think something, but not say it.
+1

I understand the frustration completely and he did do the right thing and left. However, yelling things at them only proves to them they got your goat and it skyrockets the chances of escalation.

The only way to win this one is not to play their game.

coloradokevin
March 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
As was already mentioned, there's a reason people join gun clubs. For almost two decades I shot out on NF/BLM lands, and largely enjoyed my fun/free shooting time. Times have changed, and places are getting closed while the open ones get more crowded with more morons.

About two years ago I finally got fed up with the issues on the NF/BLM lands and joined a private range. Much better shooting experiences these days, though sometimes a bit more limiting.

My ultimate goal would be to have enough land of my own that I'd be able to shoot long range rifle from the peace/privacy of my own property.

timhernandez
March 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
I only shoot at private ranges these days... too many people that shouldn't drive a car let alone own a firearm out there on public land for my tastes.

Certaindeaf
March 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
waiting lists?...for gun clubs?...wait, what?
There is an echo. And it's true.

THe Dove
March 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
GLOOB, please tell me you are living in CA?

They drove all the way out there to blast 1 mag each, at nothing in particular.I wasn't even sure they spoke English. They looked to be recently immigrated, to put it politely.

The Dove

Dnaltrop
March 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
I don't shoot outdoors as much because of this very sort of behavior.

Folks pulling up to your right with cases of beer, shooting over your head don't make for pleasant chit-chat.

stonewall308
March 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
That guy unnecessarily started a confrontation with someone he knew was armed. With any luck, he won't live long.

GLOOB
March 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
GLOOB, please tell me you are living in CA?
Nope. One more guess, and you're there. :)

Sniper66
March 14, 2012, 10:46 AM
I belong to a private range with rules and it is well managed, but each year we have to kick a few dimwits out because they break the rules. Most of the time, it is a joy to shoot there. I also have plenty of private land to shoot on BECAUSE I NEVER STOP LOOKING FOR NEW PLACES TO GO. In my travels, social life, family life, and work everyone knows I have a passion for shooting sports. I never pass up an opportunity to seek new places and new friends. So, my friends out there, do everything you can to get away from idiots and find the much needed fun, solitude, and friendship that we all crave.

clamman
March 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not a NRA member. Does that automatically meke me a hoodlum?

CountryUgly
March 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
Hows 'bout we add a lil more chlorine to the 'ol gene pool...... but at least you have a range to go to all I got is a big old field in front of a mountain to shoot at, not a soul in sight....

Black Butte
March 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not a NRA member.

Why not?

Sheepdog1968
March 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
You did the right thing by leaving. I almost always shoot on ranges where i have to pay a fee that has very strict range masters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Rage!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!