Browning Hi Power - Carbon Fiber

PDA

Outlaw Man
March 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
I won this last night at our Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation fundraiser banquet:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/rht08408/2012-03-10_22-19-27_30.jpg

I've never seen one like this, and I've scoured the internet last night and this morning looking for information about it, and I've come up emptyhanded.

Anyone got any clues? Is this a custom shop item or part of a dealer run? Did they have someone refinish it?

It looks like a factory job, and the model name on the box indicates as much: HP MK III RMEF CFD.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Please forgive the cell phone pic. My computer is currently incapacitated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi Power - Carbon Fiber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
March 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Probably a special run specifically for the RMEF banquets.

Not my thing, but still a really nice gun.

Would have been nice if they would have done it in just black and upgraded the grips to some really nice G10's.

GrandmasterB
March 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Congrats on a very unique and special Hi Power!

Outlaw Man
March 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
Gun Nut: Same here. My preference would be matte black. I wasn't going to turn it down, though. :D

GrandmasterB: Thanks!

outerlimit
March 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
That is Awesome, never seen one of those before.

Carbon fiber rules!

Certaindeaf
March 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Actual carbon fiber or some sort of paint/finish job? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

rcmodel
March 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Dipped finish.

A real carbon fiber slide would to too light to work safely.

rc

SharpsDressedMan
March 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
I know what you do when you reblue a gun, or parkerize, but how do you touch up or refinish these specialty finishes, like carbon fiber or digital camo? Seems like a short sighted plan for durability, or a finish that can be maintained as long as the others. Once they wear, here or there, that is the end of it.

Outlaw Man
March 12, 2012, 12:22 AM
Definitely a finish. It's WAY too heavy to be actual carbon fiber.

Sharps, that's kind of why I posted this. I'm anxious to try it, but I'm willing to leave it in the safe if it's going to be worth 150+% of a normal Mk III, someday. It's obviously not an everyday model.

GunNut
March 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
It won't ever be worth any more than a standard model MKIII. Browning has done crazy camo finishes in the past, they actually don't sell that well.

Still sweet gun and great price, get out and shoot it.

Outlaw Man
March 12, 2012, 12:38 AM
There's actually a blerb at the back of the manual about not letting the fragility of the special finishes "deprive you of much of the enjoyment that comes with owning a fine Browning firearm." :neener:

clang
March 12, 2012, 12:38 AM
Man you're ready for The Matrix with that thing.

Congrats on the win.

Certaindeaf
March 12, 2012, 01:08 AM
I'd sure like a Mark I Lightweight.. but then again, who wouldn't.

Anyway, that's a right fine pistol you got there. Enjoy.

1KPerDay
March 12, 2012, 02:01 AM
Congrats on winning a fine pistol. :cool: Fake CF is horrid, IMO, but nothing a good refinish wouldn't fix. :D

Sometimes I really shake my head over the stuff gun makers come up with.

RedAlert
March 12, 2012, 02:42 AM
Sounds like a great item to sell with the intent of raising funds for something you really like. I agree you couldn't beat the cost to you! There is bound to be someone out there who really digs that type of finish.

9mmepiphany
March 12, 2012, 05:42 AM
It is a pretty interesting procedure they use to get that effect.

The finish comes on a paper backing which is released in water. The gun is then dipped into the floating finish and it adheres to the surface.

You usually see in on camo'd shotguns

chez323
March 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
I like Hi-Powers and this one is very sharp looking in my opinion...... congratulations on winning it.......... wish I was so lucky!

Outlaw Man
March 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
RDF: I hear ya. I've thought about that a couple times. I've always wanted a Browning HP. I've got am FEG that I love, but I've never been willing to drop the cash for the "good" hammer and ambi safety. I've also been hesitant to spend $800+ on a Browning. This solves that, so I can probably live with the finish for a while.

Thanks for all of the congratulations, guys. I assure you, this is not an indication of my normal luck.

ajoker31
March 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
Personally I wouldn't put it in the safe. I'd either test out the market with it now or shoot it. No telling if they'll start making that a standard option for a finish like they did with the digital camo, so if I was going to sell I'd do it while it's still unique.

If it was me, I'd keep it and shoot it. Regardless of whether or not the CF finish becomes common place or not it'll retain it's value (or better).

Best Regards,
Jerry

Certaindeaf
March 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
I'd use it too.. hey, it was free and you'd just have to buy another one.

What I'd really thrash would be a "carbon" one but with one little "hang-ten" foot within each little square. Yea, I probably just "lost" a billion bucks but I'm a busy man. Carbon footprint backlash forum now!

sub-moa
March 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
"I'd sure like a Mark I Lightweight.. but then again, who wouldn't."

I too would like a "Mark I Lightweight", one of the original 6 forged aluminum frame Inglis Mk I* variants produced for the post-war Canadian, British and US Trials would do ;). The US proposed a lightweight version of the Mk I* to Inglis as a possible replacement for the US M1911A1...the same search resulted in Colt's development of the Commander as well. In some ways it's a shame the Inglis Mk I* Lightweights were limited to the one-off and various...but few, trials versions and never went into series production. In many other ways, it's good that Inglis honored (mostly) its obligation to produce only agreed upon wartime quantities of the FN Hi Power...or FN might have gone Tango Uniform...

FN, on the other hand, did produce Lightweight Classic Pattern P35s, with forged aluminum frame, in the '80s for the Belgian Police. When they were declared surplus, sold off and subsequently brought to the US, most were scarfed-up quickly...many by C&S to be used as the basis for lightweight custom carry pistols. They can still be found unaltered on occasion though.

FWIW, FN never marketed a Mark I Hi Power pistol, lightweight or otherwise...FN did market a Mk II from late '81 through '89 and various Mk III and Mk III based Hi Powers from '89 through today though ;):D...

Litlman
March 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
As long as it goes BANG! Enjoy it.

outerlimit
March 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Agreed. I was not a fan of the digital camo Hi-Powers from a few years ago, but for some reason this one looks nifty. Kinda badass actually.

I'd keep it unfired if it were mine. But then again like most folks here I can't really afford collector pieces either so I justify it as saying my unfired guns are "backups". :)

larryh1108
March 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
I'd be willing to bet someone (a collector?) would trade you even up for a new Hi Power that is traditional, if you don't shoot it. There are a lot of HP collectors who would love this for their collection. It's unique enough to be cool.

FM12
March 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
It's probably dangerous to shoot. Send it to me. i will however spring for the shipping. I do what I can.

SFsc616171
March 15, 2012, 12:42 AM
Congratulations, from a proud owner of one of those despised 511 series digital camo Mk III's. I paid $975 for that piece. Good shooting!

Norrick
March 15, 2012, 05:11 AM
its dipped, i have a browning x-bolt with the same finish on the stock. Mine was a shot show special, its possible they do that specifically for the event you won it in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi Power - Carbon Fiber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!